2020 Surprise

1 hour ago, broncosfan_101 said:

But you know, I’ve been watching Ojemudia a lot, and I think I see it. His feel with his eyes in the backfield is real good, and he consistently gets real deep in his zone without being particularly susceptible to RB swings or screens. Fills in *hard* in run support. Ideal zone corner, or safety in more of a man defence. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he’s playing 75% of defensive snaps in the second half of the season. 

Allbright said they were going to move him to safety prior to last year but their corner depth was lacking and that he sees them having him filling the Will Parks role which lines up with your post kinda that corner safety hybrid. I loved the pick he has all the measurables and Iowa gets guys ready for the pros.

I think Bausby, Dawson, Davontae Harris are all candidates on the defensive side.

On the offensive side, I think someone like Diontae Spencer actually could have a bigger role than others think. I think it's no guarantee that DaeSean Hamilton makes the team. He doesn't play special teams (as of now), and there are redundant skillsets ahead of him. Ultimately, the altered offseason may work in his favor, but I don't think he's a slam dunk to even stick around.

Obviously it is early doors, but I am not high on Hollins as a difference maker really. He looked way too light out there for someone that is 6ft 5 and he didn't have the 1st step to compensate.

Ya, personally I dont think he makes it past this upcoming season in Denver, if even that. 

Allbright said they were going to move him to safety prior to last year but their corner depth was lacking and that he sees them having him filling the Will Parks role which lines up with your post kinda that corner safety hybrid. I loved the pick he has all the measurables and Iowa gets guys ready for the pros.

IDK if I like this idea, but coach knows better. I would hope that we give him CB snaps only and just develop him into a pure zone CB rather than hybrid guy. We need a future starter at CB2 and he should be given the straightest track to being that guy, which IMO is keeping him at CB rather than have him play a Will Parks role and then next season move him to full time CB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, broncos67 said:

I think Bausby, Dawson, Davontae Harris are all candidates on the defensive side.

On the offensive side, I think someone like Diontae Spencer actually could have a bigger role than others think. I think it's no guarantee that DaeSean Hamilton makes the team. He doesn't play special teams (as of now), and there are redundant skillsets ahead of him. Ultimately, the altered offseason may work in his favor, but I don't think he's a slam dunk to even stick around.

I think Hamilton and Spencer both make the team, especially with Spencer being good on special teams and Hamilton being a decent backup to Jeudy. Hamilton may find himself as a gameday scratch though given Spencer and Tim Patrick (+ presumably Hamler) are bigger factors on special teams.

X-WR: Courtland Sutton, Tim Patrick

Z-WR: Jerry Jeudy, Dae'Sean Hamilton

Slot: KJ Hamler, Diontae Spencer

BTW, a lot of talk of the "Will Parks role" in various threads. From watching tape of last year, there actually isn't a 3rd Safety/LB role in this defense in the same way that Vance Joseph deployed.

When Parks came on the field under Joseph, he was effectively operating as a replacement for one of the ILB's due to his superior coverage ability. So our nickel package was 4 DL, 1 ILB, Parks, 3 corners and 2 safeties.

Last year, Davis and Johnson both stayed on the field in the nickel and an extra corner would play: Effectively 4 DL, 2 ILB, 3 CB and 2 Safeties. Parks was basically playing as the 3rd corner in this formation.

If Bryce Callahan is healthy then you'd have to imagine he will be the nickel corner this year, which is the "Will Parks role"

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I'm going to nominate Jeremiah Attaochu. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that we’re undefeated when he has at least half a sack. 3-0.

In all seriousness, if his snap count is high enough, I'm predicting an 8-sack campaign. 

And I hope four of them are on the head chef...

If we add ST to this conversation, I think Justin Strnad is going to excel this season there. He led Wake in 2017 w/ 10 ST tackles. The regime rightfully loves AJ and a bit less rightfully loved Davis so he isnt going to get many ILB snaps IMO but as he recovers from his injury and sorta redshirts he should be a plus ST guy. 

Also worth noting that Strnad's injury, torn bicep, should have no long term effect on his functional athleticism. 

This draft class just gets better the deeper I look into it. Its probably my favorite since the Von draft. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010

12 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

If we add ST to this conversation, I think Justin Strnad is going to excel this season there. He led Wake in 2017 w/ 10 ST tackles. The regime rightfully loves AJ and a bit less rightfully loved Davis so he isnt going to get many ILB snaps IMO but as he recovers from his injury and sorta redshirts he should be a plus ST guy. 

Also worth noting that Strnad's injury, torn bicep, should have no long term effect on his functional athleticism. 

This draft class just gets better the deeper I look into it. Its probably my favorite since the Von draft. 

Hopefully he can help fill the ST hole made when Jano was traded.

Hopefully he can help fill the ST hole made when Jano was traded.

Ya. Still dislike that trade since Jano was such a warrior, but sometimes you do right by the player and if he was going to be seldom used in this offense, I am glad we moved him somewhere where he will get snaps. 

Cleveland should help on ST as well unless we PS him. I like that as a 5 star HS guy he accepted the talent in front of him and kept his head up, playing ST gunner and bit returner as a  junior and senior. He has alot to like as a WR4/5. 

Another minor surprise, I could see Albert O ending with something like 5 TD's on minimal catches / yards. He is NFL ready as a red zone jump ball guy. Just dont expect much from him between the 20's this year. His route running angles look like an airplane making a turn at this point. But man, that is alot of talent to snag 118 picks into the draft. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, paul-mac said:

BTW, a lot of talk of the "Will Parks role" in various threads. From watching tape of last year, there actually isn't a 3rd Safety/LB role in this defense in the same way that Vance Joseph deployed.

When Parks came on the field under Joseph, he was effectively operating as a replacement for one of the ILB's due to his superior coverage ability. So our nickel package was 4 DL, 1 ILB, Parks, 3 corners and 2 safeties.

Last year, Davis and Johnson both stayed on the field in the nickel and an extra corner would play: Effectively 4 DL, 2 ILB, 3 CB and 2 Safeties. Parks was basically playing as the 3rd corner in this formation.

If Bryce Callahan is healthy then you'd have to imagine he will be the nickel corner this year, which is the "Will Parks role"

If Callahan only plays 50% of the snaps, the secondary will struggle. I think the best use of our roster is to have him line up outside on base sets. In nickel, Bausby/Dawson/Ojemudia fills in on the edge and Callahan slides into the slot.

6 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Another minor surprise, I could see Albert O ending with something like 5 TD's on minimal catches / yards. He is NFL ready as a red zone jump ball guy. Just dont expect much from him between the 20's this year. His route running angles look like an airplane making a turn at this point. But man, that is alot of talent to snag 118 picks into the draft. 

I think thats a good take. That and his familiarity with Lock could pay red zone dividends.

I don't know what to really expect from Shurmers Offense but I'd think more end zone shots earlier than we're used to. 

3 hours ago, AKRNA said:

I think thats a good take. That and his familiarity with Lock could pay red zone dividends.

I don't know what to really expect from Shurmers Offense but I'd think more end zone shots earlier than we're used to. 

Lock talked about the change in offense today. Said this offense will push the ball vertically more often and he has more freedom to make in-play adjustments.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, broncosfan_101 said:

If Callahan only plays 50% of the snaps, the secondary will struggle. I think the best use of our roster is to have him line up outside on base sets. In nickel, Bausby/Dawson/Ojemudia fills in on the edge and Callahan slides into the slot.

Yes I would agree with that. Callahan will be the #2 CB but will play in the slot on nickel downs. I’d love to sign Logan Ryan if they can make the cap stretch far enough which would solve that issue.

If the season started today, I have the pecking order as follows:

1. Bouye

2. Callahan (moves to the slot in nickel packages)

3. Bausby (comes onto the field for nickel packages and plays outside)

4. Yiadom

5. Ojemudia

6. Dawson

7. Devontae Harris