2020 Surprise

Yes I would agree with that. Callahan will be the #2 CB but will play in the slot on nickel downs. I’d love to sign Logan Ryan if they can make the cap stretch far enough which would solve that issue.

Ya, I think this was the plan last season as well. You dont give a guy something like the 25th most money at CB and expect him to be a NB only.

Here's my favorite "surprise" scenario. It's on the OL, go figure.

So, after a TC long battle, Cush wins the starting spot at Center, just edging out Morris and/or Schlottman. Muti is brought along slowly to fully recuperate but shocks Munch with his ability. He becomes a "short yardage" OG early on. Risner takes some snaps at RT in TC as we can't find a good backup and are overloaded in the IOL.

James plays great for about the first 6-7 games, then has his annual injury. By this time Muti is fully recovered and his footwork has improved greatly under Munch. The line gets shuffled and here's where we end up. Bolles LT, Muti LG, Cush C, Glasgow RG and Risner RT. Morris and Schlottman are primary backups and Anderson is promoted from the PS as our swing OT.

And the best part? This group stays together for the next 3 years.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AKRNA said:

Here's my favorite "surprise" scenario. It's on the OL, go figure.

So, after a TC long battle, Cush wins the starting spot at Center, just edging out Morris and/or Schlottman. Muti is brought along slowly to fully recuperate but shocks Munch with his ability. He becomes a "short yardage" OG early on. Risner takes some snaps at RT in TC as we can't find a good backup and are overloaded in the IOL.

James plays great for about the first 6-7 games, then has his annual injury. By this time Muti is fully recovered and his footwork has improved greatly under Munch. The line gets shuffled and here's where we end up. Bolles LT, Muti LG, Cush C, Glasgow RG and Risner RT. Morris and Schlottman are primary backups and Anderson is promoted from the PS as our swing OT.

And the best part? This group stays together for the next 3 years.

Only if they resign Bolles😜. But possible.  And it would be great to have that kind of stability. 

4 hours ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Only if they resign Bolles😜. But possible.  And it would be great to have that kind of stability. 

If we don't resign Bolles I expect Elway to find a better LT somewhere, either by splashing the cash or through the draft. It is obvious to everyone that we have a chance of being competitive in 2021 and to do that you need a LT.

If we don't resign Bolles I expect Elway to find a better LT somewhere, either by splashing the cash or through the draft. It is obvious to everyone that we have a chance of being competitive in 2021 and to do that you need a LT.

Next season we are set to have 61M in cap space (Not sure if this accounts for rollover, which would add about 17M) with Justin Simmons the only impact guy we have to resign. After him, the only FA of note are Bolles, Bausby, Purcell, Shelby, Attaochu and Walker. Of this group, only Bolles and Bausby may be worth a legit long term deal. The other guys are replaceable. 

We are looking at tons of money to play with and only one guy that absolutely needs to be back and paid. If we are trying to maximize Lock's rookie contract years, next offseason is the time to spend. Paying truckloads to a difference maker at OT or 34DE seems like the best use of cap space personally. Or potentially CB in AJ doesnt bounce back. 

Poaching Chris Jones would make so much sense, weaken the juggernaut and get our best 34DE since Malik Jackson's Super Bowl year. 

On 5/6/2020 at 1:08 AM, BroncoBruin said:

Lock talked about the change in offense today. Said this offense will push the ball vertically more often and he has more freedom to make in-play adjustments.

Music to my ears.  Lock is my surprise pick.  (pound on wood) He's going to surprise with the size of the leap he takes in year two.  We're all expecting progression based on his 5 game sample size last year.  I think we're going to get more than "steady growth" out of him.  Of Elway's QB draft picks, he's the first I've been really high on, I was admittedly concerned based on some of Fangio's comments mid-year, basically the threat of not activating him at all in his rookie year.  Once he got on the field, albeit with training wheels on, he looked the part.

We've seen the investment in the QB position by Elway with Brock and Paxton, but it never translated onto the field like it appears to with Lock.  Brock had moments of competence, but he played scared and just couldn't handle the pressure, everything about him on the field screamed anxiety.  Lock on the other hand is fiery, into the game, you can tell he loves being out there and playing - I never saw even a speck of that from Brock.  In short, Lock has intangibles that no Elway drafted QB has, he was dropping dimes when he was allowed to throw middle or deep distance, he has the pedigree, and the skill set. 

On the flip side of this, Elway has never gone all in on supporting a young QB the way he appears to be doing with Lock.  Yes, we did have more weapons in place at those times with Demaryius and Manny in their primes.  But to me his moves along the OL and at WR/TE through the draft, he appears to be aiming at supporting Lock and building around him.  In short, Lock has Elway's confidence, no other young QB ever did.

I'll also say, I love his comments after the draft.  He was initially giddy, but this week shut it all down and said they've got to get to work and that it means nothing til they make things happen on the field.  I also think the situation that the country is in now will benefit Lock.  It's going to force him to do a lot more film study, self diagnosis, and learning Shurmurs playbook.  I think having that extra study time is going to help with his self awareness, maybe cut down on some of the risky throws he's been willing to take that lead to turnovers.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Next season we are set to have 61M in cap space (Not sure if this accounts for rollover, which would add about 17M) with Justin Simmons the only impact guy we have to resign. After him, the only FA of note are Bolles, Bausby, Purcell, Shelby, Attaochu and Walker. Of this group, only Bolles and Bausby may be worth a legit long term deal. The other guys are replaceable. 

We are looking at tons of money to play with and only one guy that absolutely needs to be back and paid. If we are trying to maximize Lock's rookie contract years, next offseason is the time to spend. Paying truckloads to a difference maker at OT or 34DE seems like the best use of cap space personally. Or potentially CB in AJ doesnt bounce back. 

Poaching Chris Jones would make so much sense, weaken the juggernaut and get our best 34DE since Malik Jackson's Super Bowl year. 

Completely agree.  Piggybacking off my previous post a little, but Elway appears to have found the QB he trusts, and he's surrounded him with dynamic weapons and a proven OC.  Elway & every other GM who finds themselves with a good QB on a rookie deal,  no doubt wants to use the "rookie contract QB" window to chase a title.

While money talks, Lock taking a big leap will go a LONG way to help recruiting players who can help get us there.

1 hour ago, elliot878 said:

We've seen the investment in the QB position by Elway with Brock and Paxton, but it never translated onto the field like it appears to with Lock.  Brock had moments of competence, but he played scared and just couldn't handle the pressure, everything about him on the field screamed anxiety.  Lock on the other hand is fiery, into the game, you can tell he loves being out there and playing - I never saw even a speck of that from Brock.  In short, Lock has intangibles that no Elway drafted QB has, he was dropping dimes when he was allowed to throw middle or deep distance, he has the pedigree, and the skill set. 

Tell me this kid lacks any confidence.

Not sure why I thought of this, but that confident, fun loving, competitive swagger that Lock exhibits is in alot of ways what many thought Baker would mature into, but simply has not.

I think that Lock and Mahomes are going to be the next great inter division QB rivalry, made even more fun as both of them are just absolutely great, entertaining human beings. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Not sure why I thought of this, but that confident, fun loving, competitive swagger that Lock exhibits is in alot of ways what many thought Baker would mature into, but simply has not.

I think that Lock and Mahomes are going to be the next great inter division QB rivalry, made even more fun as both of them are just absolutely great, entertaining human beings. 

I'm still in on Baker. Hoping this is the year.

Drew is like Jay Cutler with a bit more energy lol

If Lock were on any other team I wouldn’t be able to stand him.  Nor as a teammate of his would he be someone I’d gravitate toward, but that’s just me.  He’s a class clown type and that’s always annoyed me. 

He is competitive though, which is all that matters.  

If Lock were on any other team I wouldn’t be able to stand him.  Nor as a teammate of his would he be someone I’d gravitate toward, but that’s just me.  He’s a class clown type and that’s always annoyed me. 

I enjoy his personality, its fun and past times like football should be fun.

But there is literally no objective way to argue against the simple fact that his face near constantly appears immensely punchable. 

Edited by BroncosFan2010
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I enjoy his personality, its fun and past times like football should be fun.

But there is literally no objective way to argue against the simple fact that his face near constantly appears immensely punchable. 

Thanks for the morning laugh!

Personally in my years playing rugby I always loved teammates like Drew. I don’t need guys who are going to be intense 24/7 as long as they’re giving 100% on the field. A guy who keeps practices fun and keeps the mood light on game days is something I really appreciate. My favorite thing about being on a team was just being with the guys and he’s someone who would always have me smiling. 

• Like 3