Andy Dalton signs 1 year deal with the Dallas Cowboys

.Buzz

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Actually thetroll316 said Dak would win 9 games next year but Dalton would win 11.

Because without Dak's 31 million eating up the Cap we could add 31 Million in players (ie: Clowney, Griffin, Trade for Jamal Adams, Sign Earl Thomas if released, etc, etc, etc) and as a whole we would be a better team with the slight dropoff at QB and reinvesting the 31 million in savings into other positions

We've seen what Dak gets us... 8-8, and that's WITH Byron Jones, Robert Quinn and Travis Frederick

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 3:01 PM, TheGame316 said:

Because without Dak's 31 million eating up the Cap we could add 31 Million in players (ie: Clowney, Griffin, Trade for Jamal Adams, Sign Earl Thomas if released, etc, etc, etc) and as a whole we would be a better team with the slight dropoff at QB and reinvesting the 31 million in savings into other positions

We've seen what Dak gets us... 8-8, and that's WITH Byron Jones, Robert Quinn and Travis Frederick

O.o

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 11:34 AM, Yin-Yang said:

(And I say bad teams lightly, it’s not like Dalton has had nothing to work with offensively. Green, Jones, Sanu, Bernard, early. Green, Boyd, Mixon, as of late).

Just to chime in here, you’re right. Dalton’s supporting casts early were great and at times spectacular (2015), but the bolded portions era has been hampered by injuries and ineffective line play (crucial to any Andy success). Green has played in 8.5 games over the last 32 and the line has been dreadful. The splits on Andy with and without Green are horrendous.

I agree with you about Dak though. Good QBs are hard to come by in this league and their positional value is too great. You don’t downgrade willingly (which Dalton very clearly is), even if that comes at a significant cost.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 1:12 PM, JustAnotherFan said:

Dalton is a 33 year old backup QB who is turnover prone. Dak is still young and learning so he still has potential but Dalton is what he is at this point.  

I mean if you’re going to respond, tag me.

But then again, I was told by a certain Bengals fan on here that Dalton is a starting QB and is still as good as he was 5 years ago, and the only reason he fell off was because of his surrounding cast. *Smirks* . He won 70 gamez doe! 

I never said that. I said he was a capable starter. @Yin-Yang said it better, he’s a fringe starter, but still a starter; not a backup. You can get good sustained QB play out of him with a complimentary supporting cast. You can’t say that about back up QBs.

Edited by SmittyBacall

I'm not willing to give Dak more than 32. Maybe add SB clauses that makes it 38 if he wins but I can see if you're offered Jags 1st in 2021 and Yannick then move on. Add Newton to compete with Dalton. If Dak goes to another team and you get two picks then sign Clowney, Newton or save the cap to add after cuts. Cowboys QB is a big stage to other things so I could see Cam liking that stage.

As a Raider fan I hated the Mack trade. I'll always feel we 'lost' that trade because many on the team gave up and that was obvious after a few games. Dak being traded could create that kind of tank but I doubt it as there's so much talent on the Cowboys roster. We gave up Mack and a 2nd (rookie TE picked) That allowed us to get  RB Jacobs, CB Arnette and WR Edwards in the draft. Trent Brown in FA and a vet each year to fill holes with the cap savings. Cowboys have paid DE Lawerence, LB Smith, RB Zeke and WR Amari which makes breaking the bank for Dak not a wise investment IMO. I'm surprised they didn't take a QB higher in the draft but the players they did take I like and see great value where they were picked so all good.

PS I hope Dak gets 38/40 before Mahommes gets paid because it should be significantly higher than Dak's for winning a SB in his 2nd year. Cripple a rivals cap is fine by me...

4 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

And Dalton is injury prone? He’s missed 8 games over a 9 year career. If that’s injury prone 95% of the league is injury prone. 

I never said that. I said he was a capable starter. @Yin-Yang said it better, he’s a fringe starter, but still a starter; not a backup. You can get good sustained QB play out of him with a complimentary supporting cast. You can’t say that about back up QBs.

He said turnover prone, not injury prone. Just clarifying. 

• Like 2

On 5/13/2020 at 8:14 AM, SmittyBacall said:

Dalton is a 33 year old backup QB who is turnover prone. Dak is still young and learning so he still has potential but Dalton is what he is at this point.  

I never said he was injury prone, and the part of my post that you quoted was only me sharing my opinion from a week ago and had nothing to do with you at all. 

But then again, I was told by a certain Bengals fan on here that Dalton is a starting QB and is still as good as he was 5 years ago, and the only reason he fell off was because of his surrounding cast. *Smirks* . He won 70 gamez doe! 

I never said that.

False. You did say that. You said Dalton's play has not deteriorated at all since 5 years ago and then when I asked you if the supporting cast was the reason why he has been one of the worst QB's in the league and had the 5th most turnovers you said "yes"--verbatim. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/25249-where-does-andy-dalton-end-up/?do=findComment&comment=2666866

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/25249-where-does-andy-dalton-end-up/?do=findComment&comment=2667094

On 3/12/2020 at 8:47 AM, SmittyBacall said:

but there’s nothing that makes me believe Dalton’s play (physically or otherwise) has deteriorated over those 5 years. The supporting cast makes the difference. 

Really? So the supporting cast is the reason that he has been one of the worst QB's in the game in the last 3 years? His supporting cast is the reason he has the 5th most turnovers in the league in the last 3 years? 

Get outta here with that nonsense. Dalton's has always been an average at best QB, and in 2020 he is one of the worst, and the best you have come up with is pointing to "70 wins".

News flash...Cutler had nearly that many wins too over the same period and even Mitch has more wins than Dalton as well over the last 2 years. 

Then you quoted me here and conveniently left out my rebuttal to your one and only "QB winz" argument but that's besides the point right now. I expect you to do the same again here. You will take bits and parts of my posts and leave out anything else that hurts your argument. 
  On 3/13/2020 at 1:48 AM, JustAnotherFan said:

Really? So the supporting cast is the reason that he has been one of the worst QB's in the game in the last 3 years? His supporting cast is the reason he has the 5th most turnovers in the league in the last 3 years? 

Yes?

I said he was a capable starter. @Yin-Yang said it better, he’s a fringe starter, but still a starter; not a backup. You can get good sustained QB play out of him with a complimentary supporting cast. You can’t say that about back up QBs.

1) Supporting cast or not, it's still very hard to win when your QB turns the ball over as much as Dalton has in these last few years. 45 turnovers in 40 games inlcuding tied with the 2nd most pick-6's.

2) A good supporting cast can help any QB in the league. This is not only restricted to Dalton. And yes, you absolutely can say that about backup QB's. Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell....just to name a few. 

Edited by JustAnotherFan

8 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

False. You did say that. You said Dalton's play has not deteriorated at all since 5 years ago and then when I asked you if the supporting cast was the reason why he has been one of the worst QB's in the league and had the 5th most turnovers you said "yes"--verbatim. 

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/25249-where-does-andy-dalton-end-up/?do=findComment&comment=2666866

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/topic/25249-where-does-andy-dalton-end-up/?do=findComment&comment=2667094

And I stand by that, mostly because his poor play hasn’t been indicative of any sort of physical or mental decline, as you seem to be suggesting. His play had obviously worsened, but I believe there are reasons for that that go beyond Dalton considering the type of QB he is. 

I just don’t see how Dalton physically or habitually deteriorated since 2015. His arm looks the same if not better than it was then, his mobility hasn’t seen drastic change, he’s more experienced now then he was then. The next obvious variable in sussing out his drop off is supporting cast, which has seen significant changes. I am of the opinion that if you hypothetically installed 2020 Dalton back into that 2015 offense you would not see much change at all. I don’t see how that’s crazy.

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

You will take bits and parts of my posts and leave out anything else that hurts your argument. 

I’m not trying to “win an argument” or do anything except pass the time during the offseason. I address what needs to be addressed and comment on what I believe to be untrue. 

9 hours ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Nick Foles, Ryan Tannehill, Matt Flynn, Matt Cassell....just to name a few. 

Nick Foles and Ryan Tannehill aren’t back ups, they’re fringe starters. And you got good sustained QB success out of Cassell and Matt Flynn? News to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tyty said:

Dak’s obscene contract demands are kinda like if the kid you tried and failed to abort just got kidnapped. Like how much do you honestly need him?

Youve said some dumb things.... but this is pretty high on the list.