Andy Dalton now a Cowboy

5x10

25 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Two wrongs don’t make right

Perhaps the Cowboys have learned from Zeke and DLaw, and have figured out they've been setting bad precedent (hopefully)

In DLaws case, he was a FA (or at least tagged) but they should have realized he wasn't Von Miller, or Khalil Mack/JJ Watt and moved him when they could for the type of return that Frank Clark got. He had the bum shoulder he was threatening to hold out having surgery on so he had the Cowboys over a barrel. I would have let him walk out of principle and taken the 3rd round compensatory. We wouldn't have missed his 5 sacks last year. Should have used the transition tag on DLaw

In Zekes case, Jerry was so sure that last year was "Our year" he blinked and panicked. At least Zeke is a top 2/3 back in the league, but I still don't like the investment of such a high draft pick and then the subsequent dollars into a running back. The way I see it, you spend on the O-Line so you can have plug and play running backs. You buy a running back who can make up for a mediocre O-Line. Doing both at the same time doesn't net you enough of the gains you lose out on in other positions, from a draft value and cap hit standpoint

45 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Perhaps the Cowboys have learned from Zeke and DLaw, and have figured out they've been setting bad precedent (hopefully)

In DLaws case, he was a FA (or at least tagged) but they should have realized he wasn't Von Miller, or Khalil Mack/JJ Watt and moved him when they could for the type of return that Frank Clark got. He had the bum shoulder he was threatening to hold out having surgery on so he had the Cowboys over a barrel. I would have let him walk out of principle and taken the 3rd round compensatory. We wouldn't have missed his 5 sacks last year. Should have used the transition tag on DLaw

In Zekes case, Jerry was so sure that last year was "Our year" he blinked and panicked. At least Zeke is a top 2/3 back in the league, but I still don't like the investment of such a high draft pick and then the subsequent dollars into a running back. The way I see it, you spend on the O-Line so you can have plug and play running backs. You buy a running back who can make up for a mediocre O-Line. Doing both at the same time doesn't net you enough of the gains you lose out on in other positions, from a draft value and cap hit standpoint

I was a lot more against Dak getting paid back when Free Agency was happening. At this point, I want him to sign the tag. I still don’t want to tie our hands for 5 years.  There is nobody left to sign in FA this year though. Him playing this year on a tag is the ideal scenario. We could still sign Everson Griffin or whoever by cutting Crawford or restructuring Martin(who I am least worried about pushing money back on). Next year let Dak walk, get a comp pick, Trade a couple 1sts and more for 5 years of sweet sweet rookie deals on Lawrence or Fields.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

I was a lot more against Dak getting paid back when Free Agency was happening. At this point, I want him to sign the tag. I still don’t want to tie our hands for 5 years.  There is nobody left to sign in FA this year though. Him playing this year on a tag is the ideal scenario. We could still sign Everson Griffin or whoever by cutting Crawford or restructuring Martin(who I am least worried about pushing money back on). Next year let Dak walk, get a comp pick, Trade a couple 1sts and more for for 5 years of sweet sweet rookie deals on Lawrence or Fields.

Agreed

Assuming Dak has a solid season under the tag, I wonder what the transition tag would be at QB next year and if we could use that to extract a trade offer that's better than accepting a comp pick the next year

Where do you suppose Dak's leverage would be next offseaosn with a 10-6 record, 1 playoff win (wildcard round), 4500 yards 30TD 10 INTS? (Meaning the Cowboys are better, but not drastically better with McCarthy at coach and Dak potentially being the limiting factor here)

If the Cowboys go 12-4/13-3 and make the NFC Championship/Superbowl with Dak having the same stats, do you acquiesce and give him 40 million per on a 4 year deal?

On 5/8/2020 at 6:54 AM, Matts4313 said:

So I was thinking about all you short sighted goofballs and I have a question. Lets say you are right. We rescind the tag and roll with Dalton. Dalton plays well. Lets say he wins the division; and hell lets say he wins a playoff game. So the year ends:

Do you franchise Dalton for $35m?

Do you give Dalton a ~$30m/yr contract? 

Whats your long term plan?

Lord no. If I don’t want to pay Dak a 30m contract why would I want to give one to Dalton? Assuming he is just driving the bus for us, and not actually playing like an elite level QB in this hypothetical. You aren’t getting it.

Let me explain the new trend that will soon come to fruition. Rookie QB contracts are gold, Jerry. Thanks to the rookie cap. Giving elite contracts to above average QBs will soon be an afterthought. Though I admit it might take some time, as teams(and fans) clutch to pearls of the past. There are only maybe 3-5 QBs at any given time that can put a crappy team on their back and go win and contend. The rest are just bus drivers in one way or another. Some are better drivers than others but, none are going anywhere without the bus. 

Those 3-5 QBs will continue to get paid enormous amounts. The trend of paying good bus drivers those amounts will slowly die. 

Because ~25 teams know their best shot at getting to the big game is through building the best bus they can afford and getting a guy on a rookie deal to drive it. If he turns out to be a Patrick Mahomes then you have built a war machine. Mahomes is talented enough to contend without all of those pieces, but after he gets paid they won’t be able to be these same chiefs. Thank God.

Edited by DaBoys
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Lord no. If I don’t want to pay Dak a 30m contract why would I want to give one to Dalton? Assuming he is just driving the bus for us, and not actually playing like an elite level QB in this hypothetical. You aren’t getting it.

Let me explain the new trend that will soon come to fruition. Rookie QB contracts are gold, Jerry. Thanks to the rookie cap. Giving elite contracts to above average QBs will soon be an afterthought. Though I admit it might take some time, as teams(and fans) clutch to pearls of the past. There are only maybe 3-5 QBs at any given time that can put a crappy team on their back and go win and contend. The rest are just bus drivers in one way or another. Some are better drivers than others but, none are going anywhere without the bus. 

Those 3-5 QBs will continue to get paid enormous amounts. The trend of paying good bus drivers those amounts will slowly die. 

Because ~25 teams know their best shot at getting to the big game is through building the best bus they can afford and getting a guy on a rookie deal to drive it. If he turns out to be a Patrick Mahomes then you have built a war machine. Mahomes is talented enough to contend without all of those prices, but after he gets paid they won’t be able to be these same chiefs. Thank God.

Phase 2 will be bus drivers starting to know their place and looking for the best bus to drive. A couple of million less to play for a winner, with some solid endorsement money in a state with no tax to maximize the "take home pay"

The good bus drivers will still get 20 million, and the bad organizations will still overpay marginal talent, but I see less term and less guaranteed dollars as teams will still be drafting young QB's every year looking for their next value driver

Edited by TheGame316

22 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

Agreed

Assuming Dak has a solid season under the tag, I wonder what the transition tag would be at QB next year and if we could use that to extract a trade offer that's better than accepting a comp pick the next year

Where do you suppose Dak's leverage would be next offseaosn with a 10-6 record, 1 playoff win (wildcard round), 4500 yards 30TD 10 INTS? (Meaning the Cowboys are better, but not drastically better with McCarthy at coach and Dak potentially being the limiting factor here)

It just depends I guess. Those are some pretty good stats. We have seen Dak have a lack luster season statistically yet realize limited playoff success. We have also seen Dak put up elite level stats during an 8-8 season; sparking concerns over garbage time and wins against good teams.

Your hypothetical actually has Dak putting really great numbers during a winning season that sees limited playoff success. That would be Daks best year yet. I would assume he would gain leverage unless he throws 0 TDs 4 picks and loses a fumble in the playoff loss. Then he’s right back where he started. Shrouded in question marks and division. 

28 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

If the Cowboys go 12-4/13-3 and make the NFC Championship/Superbowl with Dak having the same stats, do you acquiesce and give him 40 million per on a 4 year deal?

logic says that you were only able to build this juggernaut roster and win the super bowl because you were paying your QB beans. We are only just now experiencing what it’s like to lose key players to FA due to Daks expensive tag. To stick to the strategy you would try to get another bus driver QB, collect the comp(or even better, a tag and trade that involves high draft picks with a team that doesn’t share your philosophy), save the money, and build your roster up even more. 

BUT...

....bro if we win the super bowl I hope they enshrine Dak on the spot, give him $49m an hour, and I’ll get his face tattooed on my face.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

It just depends I guess. Those are some pretty good stats. We have seen Dak have a lack luster season statistically yet realize limited playoff success. We have also seen Dak put up elite level stats during an 8-8 season; sparking concerns over garbage time and wins against good teams.

Your hypothetical actually has Dak putting really great numbers during a winning season that sees limited playoff success. That would be Daks best year yet. I would assume he would gain leverage unless he throws 0 TDs 4 picks and loses a fumble in the playoff loss. Then he’s right back where he started. Shrouded in question marks and division. 

logic says that you were only able to build this juggernaut roster and win the super bowl because you were paying your QB beans. We are only just now experiencing what it’s like to lose key players to FA due to Daks expensive tag. To stick to the strategy you would try to get another bus driver QB, collect the comp(or even better, a tag and trade that involves high draft picks with a team that doesn’t share your philosophy), save the money, and build your roster up even more. 

BUT...

....bro if we win the super bowl I hope they enshrine Dak on the spot, give him $49m an hour, and I’ll get his face tattooed on my face.

If he wins the Superbowl, I'll pay him whatever he wants just as a thank you , even if it means going 0-16 for the entire length of that contract

I meant if he gets to the NFC Championship and loses, some milquetoast 28-21 game, or the same being said for the Superbowl

So, we paid Dak 31 million under the tag, Made the Big Game(s), are really close, but didn't get the Lombardi. Giving him 40 per means losing pieces and limiting a chance to get back (although, he would have been a big part of getting us there)

What do you do?

46 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Because ~25 teams know their best shot at getting to the big game is through building the best bus they can afford and getting a guy on a rookie deal to drive it. If he turns out to be a Patrick Mahomes then you have built a war machine. Mahomes is talented enough to contend without all of those pieces, but after he gets paid they won’t be able to be these same chiefs. Thank God.

Ack basswords. You are the one thats not getting it. That plan is asinine and I am trying to show you how in multiple ways.

But good luck going from Dak => Dalton => 2021 Paxton Lynch for 4 years => Drafting Mitch Trubisky

Hopefully by the time your children have children we find another Dak. Just ask 50%+ of the league. 

(PS THE ROOKIE QB THING IS A MYTH)

Edited by Matts4313
  • Like 1

Just now, Matts4313 said:

Ack basswords. You are the one thats not getting it. That plan is asinine and I am trying to show you how in multiple ways.

But good luck going from Dak => Dalton => 2021 Paxton Lynch for 4 years => Drafting Mitch Trubisky

Hopefully by the time your children have children we find another Dak. Just ask 50%+ of the league. 

What you don't get, is we just had our Dak

He went 13-3, 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8

And by paying him 20x his current salary and letting other key pieces walk, that will somehow get us to multiple consecutive seasons of 13-3

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Who is on the bears OLine? Who is the RB because as a David Montgomery fantasy owner I know they don’t have one. Robinson is a talented WR though. People on Twitter are saying the bears have one of the worst teams in the league. Put an average to below average bus driver in a patch work bus and things won’t go so well. Aside from 3-5 QBs at any given time, the team is everything. If Dak were drafted by the Jets or Bengals you would have never even heard of him. Mitch might not be great here but he wouldn’t be Chicago bad.

Edited by DaBoys

12 minutes ago, TheGame316 said:

What you don't get, is we just had our Dak

He went 13-3, 9-7, 10-6 and 8-8

And by paying him 20x his current salary and letting other key pieces walk, that will somehow get us to multiple consecutive seasons of 13-3

All he needs is less talent around him. We lost our CB1 and our sack leader from last year. Hopefully we can lose a few more pieces and give Dak what he deserves. Championship 

8 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Who is on the bears OLine? Who is the RB because as a David Montgomery fantasy owner I know they don’t have one. Robinson is a talented WR though. People on Twitter are saying the bears have one of the worst teams in the league. Put an average to below average bus driver in a patch work bus and things won’t go so well. Aside from 3-5 QBs at any given time, the team is everything. If Dak were drafted by the Jets or Bengals you would have never even heard of him. Mitch might not be great here but he wouldn’t be Chicago bad.

1. Bears have a decent OL
  2. WTF does it matter who their RB is? Look at all the Superbowl Champs for 20 years
    1. Almost none of them have great RBs
    2. Almost every single all pro RB does not even make the superbowl
    3. Its been proven time and time again that QB performance is independent of who is at RB
  3. Put Dak on the Bears and Mitch on the Boys and they beat us 7 out of 10 times.
  4. Strong disagree with both your assessment of Mitch and Dak.

17 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

All he needs is less talent around him. We lost our CB1 and our sack leader from last year. Hopefully we can lose a few more pieces and give Dak what he deserves. Championship 

Dak @ 40 million should cost us Gallup in 2 years, or Cooper should we keep Gallup instead

Recipe for success for sure

1 hour ago, DaBoys said:

Lets look at the last few Superbowl teams

(W)Mahomes War Machine with Chiefs in rookie deal

Garropolo bus driver with 49ers with a loaded defense

(W)Brady value contract with Pats - solid roster

Goff rookie deal with Rams loaded roster

(W)Foles bus driver playing lights out with loaded Eagles roster (Starting QB on rookie deal)

Brady value contract with Pats - solid roster

(W)Brady value contract with Pats - solid roster

Matt Ryan paid top $$ but haven't sniffed the game since

(W)The Ghost of Peyton Manning bus driving with a loaded roster

Cam Newton - No idea the specifics of the panthers in 2016

(W)Brady Value Contract with Pats - solid roster

Russell Wilson on rookie deal with loaded defense

(W) Russell Wilson on rookie deal with loaded defense

Peyton Manning Top $$ QB on a loaded roster

(W) Flacco bus driving before he got paid with a solid defense

Kaepernick on a rookie deal (Smith not being paid much) with Harbaugh and a solid 49ers team

Just looking for the part where Matts can show the highest paid QB's = Success? Because it seems like a lot of value contracts, rookie contracts and bus drivers with loaded rosters to me that gets to and wins the big game

Takeaway seems to be try to have a really solid roster and a good defense

Edited by TheGame316