Andy Dalton now a Cowboy

5x10

56 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

So I was thinking about all you short sighted goofballs and I have a question. Lets say you are right. We rescind the tag and roll with Dalton. Dalton plays well. Lets say he wins the division; and hell lets say he wins a playoff game. So the year ends:

Do you franchise Dalton for $35m?

Do you give Dalton a ~$30m/yr contract? 

Do cut Dalton and sign Nathan Peterman because he is cheap?

Whats your long term plan?

Master plan. Zero wins this season.....Tanking for Trevor. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WizardHawk said:

Master plan. Zero wins this season.....Tanking for Trevor. 

Not possible. Ive been told by @Calvert28, @TheGame316, @The_Slamman and others that this roster is good enough to make the playoffs with Dalton + $30m of additional players. So I just want to know.... What the hell is the plan for 2021 (and beyond) when Dalton will want to get paid. Tag next year will be at least $35m. Long term he will want ~$25-30m/yr. Is that the plan? 

PS: I am pretty sure I know the answer. "We will just magically luck into the next guy in the draft"....... And then spend 4 years finding out he is either a bust (80% likely) or that by the time he is good, youve lost almost all of your current roster.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cromagnum said:

One thing that I thing all teams will take into account is the salary cap will be drastically affected if there are no fans in the stadiums this season. 

Imo, that is short term thinking. Because the cap is supposed to jump signficantly in 2021 when we go to 17 game schedules.

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Imo, that is short term thinking. Because the cap is supposed to jump signficantly in 2021 when we go to 17 game schedules.

Not according to Shefter if there are no fans in the stadiums this season. Cap will drop and he’s not the only one who has reported this. 

19 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

Not according to Shefter if there are no fans in the stadiums this season. Cap will drop and he’s not the only one who has reported this. 

12 minutes ago, cromagnum said:

You can guys can do the research yourself and see  what shefter has to say about Coronavirus complications to the 2021 salary cap. 

Ive read it. First of all, he admits he is speculating. Secondly, his math is completely absurd. 

Stadium income mostly goes to the owners. Not to the NFL. It mostly does not affect the cap at all. 

The cap is determined primarily by TV contracts and other league related things (advertising, merchandising, partnerships, etc).

So 80K people per stadium are not going to the game and seeing 1 game. Instead they are staying home and watching *3* games per a Sunday. Which means the NFL is going to clean up in ad rev. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Ive read it. First of all, he admits he is speculating. Secondly, his math is completely absurd. 

Stadium income mostly goes to the owners. Not to the NFL. It mostly does not affect the cap at all. 

The cap is determined primarily by TV contracts and other league related things (advertising, merchandising, partnerships, etc).

So 80K people per stadium are not going to the game and seeing 1 game. Instead they are staying home and watching *3* games per a Sunday. Which means the NFL is going to clean up in ad rev. 

He’s speculating yes but I’m sure there is some truth to what he’s saying otherwise he would not be speculating this. Shefter has way more inside info then most. He rarely makes stuff up for views or clickbait. Will see nobody knows for sure but if all other sports is affected by this if the nfl has no fans this season it certainly will be economicaly impacted. To say for sure the salary cap is gonna go up is naive as nobody really knows for sure. From what I have read the salary cap is determined by total revenue.

Edited by cromagnum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cromagnum said:

He’s speculating yes but I’m sure there is some truth to what he’s saying otherwise he would not be speculating this. Shefter has way more inside info then most. He rarely makes stuff up for views or clickbait. Will see nobody knows for sure but if all other sports is affected by this if the nfl has no fans this season it certainly will be economicaly impacted. To say for sure the salary cap is gonna go up is naive as nobody really knows for sure. From what I have read the salary cap is determined by total revenue.

The more I think about this, Adams argument makes no sense at all. The cap is a limit on how much the *owners* can spend. Why the hell would the NFL losing revenue affect owners ability to spend his personal money?

2 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Not possible. Ive been told by @Calvert28, @TheGame316, @The_Slamman and others that this roster is good enough to make the playoffs with Dalton + $30m of additional players. So I just want to know.... What the hell is the plan for 2021 (and beyond) when Dalton will want to get paid. Tag next year will be at least $35m. Long term he will want ~$25-30m/yr. Is that the plan? 

PS: I am pretty sure I know the answer. "We will just magically luck into the next guy in the draft"....... And then spend 4 years finding out he is either a bust (80% likely) or that by the time he is good, youve lost almost all of your current roster.

It doesn't matter what the plan is, if the plan doesn't include Dak it will be a rousing success. He is bad. He overthrew that pass that one time.

/thread

Edited by WizardHawk
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

The more I think about this, Adams argument makes no sense at all. The cap is a limit on how much the *owners* can spend. Why the hell would the NFL losing revenue affect owners ability to spend his personal money?

Because the owners would be losing money. If your an owner and your not not getting nearly as much profit are you going to want to give your employers a raise? It’s why salaries are being cut in the NBA. Basic economics your not going spend if your not making as much. So the salary cap is based on total revenue if the total revenue is not nearly as much it affects the players and the owners. Not sure what your not understanding just look at the economic impact on the United States in general. 

Edited by cromagnum
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

As you said, it isn’t the NFL losing money. It’s the owners. Why would the NFL raise the cap when the owners are losing money? ...and some owners will lose more than others.

13 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

As you said, it isn’t the NFL losing money. It’s the owners. Why would the NFL raise the cap when the owners are losing money? ...and some owners will lose more than others.

None of them will lose money. They may just not make as much. 

• Like 1