Andy Dalton now a Cowboy

5x10

Just now, DaBoys said:

Dak trucking LBs as he plods down the field really cocas my cola. He was pretty tremendous in 2019. I, as you know, was one of his biggest haters. I have changed my mind. He is good. 

I don’t know what he’s asking for though

From everything I have gathered, it isn't the money that is the issue. I think he's comfortable with $35MM per year, but he wants a 4 year deal so he can get another bigger extension sooner rather than 5 years (which is what the team wants). The fact that Jerry and Co. are hard-balling so hard over ONE year, is just...asinine. They've done really well this year, but they've bungled the contract situation with their franchise QB. 

A deal will get done, no doubt...but the fact that it's taking this long over something so simple is just stupid. 

Just now, DaBoys said:

Even if I thought they could hold a candle ...

did they have Tyron Smith, Travis Fredbeard, Zack Martin, La’El Collins, a HOF TE, Ezekiel Elliott type decoys? No. They weren’t holding candles 

They had Whitworth, Zeitler, Boling, and Eifert. Also, Witten averaged sub-9 YPC two of the last three years while not playing the other one. You're kind of making my original point by listing guys who are ten times as famous playing for the Cowboys as they might be playing for the Bengals.

Cincinnati circa 2014-15 had a better, more complete roster than we've had since probably 2007 and Dalton failed to muster a single playoff win. There is nothing to see here, no speculation worth having

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, D82 said:

From everything I have gathered, it isn't the money that is the issue. I think he's comfortable with $35MM per year, but he wants a 4 year deal so he can get another bigger extension sooner rather than 5 years (which is what the team wants). The fact that Jerry and Co. are hard-balling so hard over ONE year, is just...asinine. They've done really well this year, but they've bungled the contract situation with their franchise QB. 

A deal will get done, no doubt...but the fact that it's taking this long over something so simple is just stupid. 

Jerry and Co at the very least we know want to win by putting out team in the best possible position with favorable contract. If it's such a small thing and so stupid then why doesn't Dak just take one for the team?

You can't sit there and say he's being a team player by squabbling over one year. 

5 minutes ago, D82 said:

This tells me they are not 100% committed to Prescott, for whatever reason. You can't be this brilliant in the draft and FA but have butterfingers with your most important position.

Something isn't right.

6 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

They had Whitworth, Zeitler, Boling, and Eifert. Also, Witten averaged sub-9 YPC two of the last three years while not playing the other one. You're kind of making my original point by listing guys who are ten times as famous playing for the Cowboys as they might be playing for the Bengals.

Cincinnati circa 2014-15 had a better, more complete roster than we've had since probably 2007 and Dalton failed to muster a single playoff win. There is nothing to see here, no speculation worth having

Did you ever get a chance to watch the 2014 Cowboys ?

Edited by DaBoys

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

This tells me they are not 100% committed to Prescott, for whatever reason. You can't be this brilliant in the draft and FA but have butterfingers with your most important position.

Something isn't right.

Then why not take a QB? Try and trade up for one? 

No. They're committed to Dak. If I'm not mistaken the Lawrence deal took a while to get done too...sometimes this front office is just cheap. 

4 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Jerry and Co at the very least we know want to win by putting out team in the best possible position with favorable contract. If it's such a small thing and so stupid then why doesn't Dak just take one for the team?

You can't sit there and say he's being a team player by squabbling over one year. 

Dude, NFL players have such a short shelf life. Sure, Dak has been injury free during his entire career here. But one play and he could never play again. I would never fault a guy for trying to get all he can while he can. 

2 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

Something isn't right.

To be clear, their desire to sign Dak to a longer contract makes you question their commitment to him?

• Like 2

Just now, D82 said:

Dude, NFL players have such a short shelf life. Sure, Dak has been injury free during his entire career here. But one play and he could never play again. I would never fault a guy for trying to get all he can while he can. 

And none of his teammates are against him either. Which says all that needs to be said. 

10 minutes ago, D82 said:

Question for you and not being sarcastic at all.

Many posters (not saying you) has said sign Dak now because in a few years his deal will look like peanuts.

Well if we give him a 4 year $160 million deal, when does this deal look like peanuts when we have to come back to the table in 3 years an renegotiate?

I'm all for paying Dak but if were giving him that type of money on a short term deal, can he continue to win with lesser parts around him?

1 minute ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

To be clear, their desire to sign Dak to a longer contract makes you question their commitment to him?

No. I think the point is just if the money is all figured out and were just talking the difference of 1 year then why not just give it to him.

The longer the deal benefits the team so we dont have to re-up so quickly. Also allows us to move money down the road.

3 minutes ago, CAPJ said:

Question for you and not being sarcastic at all.

Many posters (not saying you) has said sign Dak now because in a few years his deal will look like peanuts.

Well if we give him a 4 year $160 million deal, when does this deal look like peanuts when we have to come back to the table in 3 years an renegotiate?

I'm all for paying Dak but if were giving him that type of money on a short term deal, can he continue to win with lesser parts around him?

The cap will continue to go up. We can afford to sign the guys we want and draft replacements for the ones we don't. 

3 minutes ago, D82 said:

The cap will continue to go up. We can afford to sign the guys we want and draft replacements for the ones we don't. 

But as the cap goes up, everyone else wants more as well. 

If this is never a big deal and the cap continues to go up, then why do teams not have cap space?