Bengals decline John Ross’s 5th year option

Carson4MVP

Is the first 9 picks of the 2017 NFL Draft one of the worst ever or what? 4 of the top 5 picks had their teams turn down the 5th year option. Bengals and Chargers also declined 5th year options on Mike Williams and John Ross. You have 4 studs in the top 10 and 6 complete duds (including 4 of the top 5). I know the draft will always be remembered as Mahomes draft, but man... those first 9 picks are brutal outside of CMac, Garrett and Jamal Adams. 

Edited by Carson4MVP

Shocking

11 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

Don’t think he’s back regardless of how he does this season. 

I could see another 1 year prove it deal, depending on interest elsewhere. But it's probably unlikely, yeah. 

Ross isn't signing any low dollar deals, he'll have interest next year with his speed even if he gets hurt again.  He'll go elsewhere for a prove it deal if it comes to that.

Only way Ross is back next year is if he just absolutely clicks with Burrow and has such a good year that we franchise him.  Maybe under that circumstance a long term extension could be made, but he isn't signing any 3 year $15 million extension. 

Edited by THE DUKE
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Ross isn't signing any low dollar deals, he'll have interest next year with his speed even if he gets hurt again.  He'll go elsewhere for a prove it deal if it comes to that.

Only way Ross is back next year is if he just absolutely clicks with Burrow and has such a good year that we franchise him.  Maybe under that circumstance a long term extension could be made, but he isn't signing any 3 year $15 million extension. 

He’s destined to be a Chief. 

9 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Also, depending on what happens with AJ, he might want to go elsewhere because our depth chart is so deep at WR. Especially if he ends up being the 4th guy behind Higgins at the end of the season. 

1 hour ago, BengalsBite said:

Also, depending on what happens with AJ, he might want to go elsewhere because our depth chart is so deep at WR. Especially if he ends up being the 4th guy behind Higgins at the end of the season. 

Yeah, he's almost definitely out of the top 3, but he should still get lots of snaps.  I could see it either way,  but if an stays, I doubt Ross does too.

It'll be interesting to see how the snaps work out for the WR this year.  Obviously health is going to be the single biggest determinant of this, but if all enter the season healthy, i'd speculate the breakdown percentage wise to look something like this assuming that on average an NFL offense runs 70-75 plays a game, i'll go with 75 since we expect Burrow to improve things.  I'll also say we average 3 WR per play, so that's about 225 snaps per game with no one WR getting more than 75.  I'll assume that Erickson is the 6th WR, but until injuries hit, I don't think we see him much outside of special teams.

Boyd: 65 plays
Green: 55 plays
Higgins: 40 plays
Ross: 30 plays
Tate: 30 plays
Erickson: 5 plays

So that's 225 plays snaps.  Now we might have + or - 20 to 30 snaps depending on number of plays, formations, situation, etc...  I think even if AJ is 100% healthy, we start to see some load management.  Higgins will get eased in a bit, but he's the future at WR outside with Boyd as the primary slot WR and AJ getting more slot reps year after year.  Ross is going to be the home run threat, the guy to take the top off the defense and keep the safeties honest, but as WR4, he's going to see his reps reduced.  Tate I think plays as much as Ross because he can be that outside guy on an island or with WR inside of him.  Having Tate and Higgins outside lets AJ and Boyd both work in the slot in 4 WR sets.  As the WR under contract and with his consistent production, I think Boyd is on the field the most, at least for 2020.