Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

On 5/8/2020 at 3:08 PM, Yin-Yang said:

Really? I’ll take your word for it, but I remember Warmack (and Cooper) being blown up as can’t-miss, surefire prospects. Never really noticed anyone pick holes in the game like that until after the fact. 

Was more just poking fun at the Nelson comment but good to know!

On 5/8/2020 at 3:16 PM, Ozzy said:

Agreed, Warmack and Cooper was crazy high picks and both were considered cannot miss prospects, why else would they be picked so high as a guard.  Sure Warmack was probably a little overrated coming out of Alabama and the focus put on those prospects, but Cooper was really good on UNC and surprising he was that bad in the NFL.  

FWIW Cooper injured his leg badly early in his rookie year, and was never the same.  Can't ever know what he could have been.   Warmack is a lesson about being cautious about OL evaluations when on a stacked team.   If you're a great player in the SEC and Big 10 and you have to face the 'Bama's, Georgia's & OSU's of the world and can hold your own, then it's a better predictor of success IMO.   Being on the stacked team introduces more uncertainty (although success at a young age vs. elite competition is a predictor I put more faith in).

• Like 1

On 9/25/2020 at 9:22 PM, BayRaider said:

Trey Lance will be the 2nd best QB of this draft. Just lights out in every way imaginable. 

the question is how high does he go?

top 7? top 10? top 15?

I've got to think there will be plenty of teams who will want to trade up if he falls into the Mahomes range or even below.

I like the guy a lot as a player but I would like to see how he operates when his team isn't the most talented team on the field. I want to see what his leadership skills look like, what happens when he is down 2 or 3 touchdowns, what does he do when a team shuts down the run game and are teeing off on you, how does he respond? Its pretty easy to make proclamations about a guy when they are putting up superior stats against inferior opponents. 

That being said, he does have elite physical traits, but that's pretty much it for me until I can see him in adverse situations, because chances are, he is going to go to a team rebuilding and teams want to know does he have to capacity to capture a room or put a team on his back and turn it around.

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, .Buzz said:

Pretty bummed that's all the tape he'll be able to put out this year. I liked what I saw so far.

It will be interesting to see if he declares for the 2021 draft. He's only going to have one game on tape this year and if he does enter the draft he'll have played 1 game in 19 months before the NFL season starts. 

As a Bison fan and alum I’m hoping with kinky one game this year he decides to stay and extra year and work to become the number one pick. With that said I can’t blame a kid for cashing that check. He has the tools to be great. But as was said he has operated with a superior supporting cast.  I don’t have any doubts he will develop but he just hasn’t had the need to show that yet. The closest thing to him responding and leading when the chips are down is the National Championship game last season against James Madison. He carried that team to the win that day and if it wasn’t for him there is no way the Bison win. But he carried them there with his legs not his arm. Which outside of Lamar Jackson isn’t going to work at the next level. 

• Like 1

On 9/28/2020 at 8:17 AM, SBLIII said:

the question is how high does he go?

top 7? top 10? top 15?

I've got to think there will be plenty of teams who will want to trade up if he falls into the Mahomes range or even below.

My guess would be right around 10. And some team is going to get a massive deal on the guy. I think if he had a Full Season he’s going 2nd pick behind Lawrence. 

On 9/28/2020 at 9:08 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

Hell of an analysis.....

I’ve written plenty on the guy, and will write up all the QBs during the off season like I always do.