Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

16 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

I don’t see it. I think he’s an extremely raw prospect. My money is he’s a 3rd rounder. 

I would be very surprised if he ends up in the third round. I don’t think he makes this decision to come out of the consensus is he falls out of round 1. He is a similar prospect to Jordan Love from last year but outside of his one game this year (which I’m not putting much stock in) he has shown more accuracy than Love. Ideal situation for him is to go in the second half of the first round to a team like NE, TB, or Indy so he can get a year or two of learning before he becalmed the guy. 

On 10/5/2020 at 7:28 PM, NYRaider said:

The only concern I have is that while there's a chance he can be the next Josh Allen or Cam Newton, there's also a chance he can be the next Jake Locker or Josh Freeman. 

How is this really any different from any other prospect? I would expect him to be a lot closer to Josh Allen than Josh Freeman seeing as his coaches come from and run the same system as Allen’s coaches. Lance’s OC was a player under Allen’s OC and head coach. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Let me guess, you hated Jordan Love as well? Love will be a star. 

I think he’s worse than Love. I think we’ve reached a level in college football where people are actively looking for “that hidden gem”, and want them to be the next best thing regardless of what they’ve presented thus far. I think the kid has some talent, but I don’t see him as a first round pick. Not at all. 

36 minutes ago, Johnny Nix said:

I think he’s worse than Love. I think we’ve reached a level in college football where people are actively looking for “that hidden gem”, and want them to be the next best thing regardless of what they’ve presented thus far. I think the kid has some talent, but I don’t see him as a first round pick. Not at all. 

Disagree. I really like this kids tools and what he has shown, even if the competition is bad. It's a gamble obvious, but a good gamble IMO. Did you think Allen and Love weren't 1st Rounders as well? Allen was not good in college... drafted purely on tools.

Also what about Wentz? He was my #1 Prospect in that entire draft and was also very raw and also North Dakota State.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

Disagree. I really like this kids tools and what he has shown, even if the competition is bad. It's a gamble obvious, but a good gamble IMO. Did you think Allen and Love weren't 1st Rounders as well? Allen was not good in college... drafted purely on tools.

Also what about Wentz? He was my #1 Prospect in that entire draft and was also very raw and also North Dakota State.

I can’t say I’ve been a fan of any of those players. In hindsight obviously I’ve been wrong about a couple of them, but for some the jury is still out. I’m a sucker for proven production against elite competition even if you do sacrifice elite attributes along the way. The brain is more important than the arm IMO

15 hours ago, Johnny Nix said:

Recently I’ve loved the following QB prospects:

Burrow, Eason, Mayfield, Jackson, Watson, and Mahomes

Tad surprised to see you list Mahomes there. He was viewed as a project by a lot of people coming out. He was also viewed in the "toolsy but raw" by most and considering what you said you like out of QB prospects...

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Tad surprised to see you list Mahomes there. He was viewed as a project by a lot of people coming out. He was also viewed in the "toolsy but raw" by most and considering what you said you like out of QB prospects...

I viewed him as a 1st round talent, but Id be a liar if I said that I thought he’d go top 10. 

On 10/8/2020 at 3:27 PM, Johnny Nix said:

I don’t see it. I think he’s an extremely raw prospect. My money is he’s a 3rd rounder. 

I'm not a huge fan of his tape either but I'd bet money that he's QB3 and a top 15 pick. We've seen Josh Allen and Jordan Love both go in the 1st round with inconsistent tape and limited experience against top competition in recent drafts. QB's are almost always over drafted and some QB needy team will take a chance on him and hope they can mold the physical tools. 

On 10/9/2020 at 5:48 PM, Johnny Nix said:

I think they're pretty similar as prospects. Love having slightly better arm talent while Lance is a better athlete/more mobile. Both guys are definitely project quarterbacks though and need to develop a lot before they'll be able to start in the NFL. Love was lucky to go to a situation that he could sit and learn from one of the best to ever do it. I think Lance will be selected higher and likely forced to play a lot sooner. 

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think they're pretty similar as prospects. Love having slightly better arm talent while Lance is a better athlete/more mobile. Both guys are definitely project quarterbacks though and need to develop a lot before they'll be able to start in the NFL. Love was lucky to go to a situation that he could sit and learn from one of the best to ever do it. I think Lance will be selected higher and likely forced to play a lot sooner. 

Think the Jaguars may be a good opportunity for Lance too. Minshew doesn't look to be "the guy", but he looks like he could be a placeholder for someone for a year or two.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Think the Jaguars may be a good opportunity for Lance too. Minshew doesn't look to be "the guy", but he looks like he could be a placeholder for someone for a year or two.

Yeah, I think Lance makes sense for you guys. Let him battle Minshew for the starting job but if he doesn't beat him out you at least have a serviceable option ahead of him for at least his rookie season. And you're paying Minshew peanuts for the next two seasons so he can stay on as your backup even if Lance takes over in year 2. 

Although Lance has a long way to go as a passer I think he could have a similar rookie year to what Josh Allen had for the Bills a couple of years ago. Inconsistent throwing the ball but still able to impact the game using his mobility. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I think Lance makes sense for you guys. Let him battle Minshew for the starting job but if he doesn't beat him out you at least have a serviceable option ahead of him for at least his rookie season. And you're paying Minshew peanuts for the next two seasons so he can stay on as your backup even if Lance takes over in year 2. 

Although Lance has a long way to go as a passer I think he could have a similar rookie year to what Josh Allen had for the Bills a couple of years ago. Inconsistent throwing the ball but still able to impact the game using his mobility. 

Yeah, I get Josh Allen type vibes (not quite the arm but who does?) from him too. Thankfully whoever they target would have a pretty solid supporting cast to walk into so that should help. Chark/Shenault/Robinson looks to be a pretty legit young trio.

Get the feeling we'll be just outside of Lawrence/Fields territory so Lance intrigues me.

44 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah, I get Josh Allen type vibes (not quite the arm but who does?) from him too. Thankfully whoever they target would have a pretty solid supporting cast to walk into so that should help. Chark/Shenault/Robinson looks to be a pretty legit young trio.

Get the feeling we'll be just outside of Lawrence/Fields territory so Lance intrigues me.

Lance reminds me of like a Cam Newton/Josh Allen hybrid but I think he's a slightly worse athlete than Newton and has slightly less arm talent than Allen. 

The league is trending away from traditional pocket passers and towards mobile guys that can make plays with their legs, extend plays in the pocket, and create explosive opportunities outside of the structure of the offense. Lance is raw but he definitely fits that mold. 

Josh Allen completed less than 60% of his passes and had 21 INT in 25 career games. But he also had like 800 rushing yards and 12 TD. 

Lamar Jackson completed less than 60% of his passes and had 27 INT in 39 career games. But also had 4,100 rushing yards and 50 TD. 

Mahomes completed 63% of his passes and had 29 INT in 32 career games. But also had 850 rushing yards and 22 TD. 

Deshaun Watson completed 67% of his passes and had 30 INT in his last 30 games. But also rushed for 1,900 yards and 26 TD. 

• Like 1