Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

3 minutes ago, VanS said:

But he's been this way his entire career (even that overhyped rookie season).  Against bad teams (thanks in large part to his elite supporting cast) Mayfield looks average to good.  Against good teams he looks awful.  Every now and then there is an outlier but in general this has been his trend.  This is not about overreacting to one game.  This is about a consistent pattern.

I honestly feel bad for Browns fans cause I think they have an elite football team.  If they had even a mediocre NFL QB (like Derek Carr for example) they would be among the favorites to win the Super Bowl.  Unfortunately subpar QB play is dragging them down whenever they play elite teams like Pittsburgh.

QB play wasn’t the issue tho. No run game, OL got their butts handed to them, QB play was bad, WRs struggled at getting open, spotty play calling, defense couldn’t make plays. Garrett made one play today and it was a sack at :52 in the 2nd quarter. Baker wasn’t holding the team back today. with the defense they have outside of Garrett and Ward they do not have the ability to win a Super Bowl. Glad you are fluffing up other aspects to try and make baker look worse

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm not a Baker apologist, I was just saying I'm not gonna write him off 4 games into a new season with a new scheme and no offseason.

Vans just likes to troll.

I don't think it's time to write him off but I think there's definitely cause for concern after he regressed last year and looks to be the same player this year. There's still a lot of football to be played this year but with the hype that he has received and the weapons they've put around him he has to start producing like a franchise QB. 

3 minutes ago, buno67 said:

QB play wasn’t the issue tho. No run game, OL got their butts handed to them, QB play was bad, WRs struggled at getting open, spotty play calling, defense couldn’t make plays. Garrett made one play today and it was a sack at :52 in the 2nd quarter. Baker wasn’t holding the team back today. with the defense they have outside of Garrett and Ward they do not have the ability to win a Super Bowl. Glad you are fluffing up other aspects to try and make baker look worse

Against the only two playoff teams you've played this year Mayfield has played horribly. You can continue to pin the blame on others but at some point Mayfield has to step up and play like a franchise QB. 

You guys have played 3 teams with top 10 defenses headed into the week, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Indianapolis. 

In those 3 games Baker's 52/94 (55%) for 555 yards (185 ypg | 5.9 Y/A), 4 TD, 5 INT 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I didn't watch the Pittsburgh game so that point was not about this specific game in question but an overall take about the entire Browns season.  The other pieces might have struggled today but I doubt anyone would say OBJ, Landry, Chubb (when healthy), Hunt, Njoku, and Hooper aren't as good a collection of skill position players as there are in the league.  The fact Mayfield has poor production with that much talent surrounding him should be cause for major concern if you are a Browns fan.  It means the issue isn't the help he is getting.  The issue is him.

If you put a decent QB on this roster, they would be among the favorites to win the Super Bowl.  I am not backing off that take.

49 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I don't think it's time to write him off but I think there's definitely cause for concern after he regressed last year and looks to be the same player this year. There's still a lot of football to be played this year but with the hype that he has received and the weapons they've put around him he has to start producing like a franchise QB. 

I agree with having concern.  And I think Kyler is better which is how this started.

I'm just not willing to put all Baker's issues on him right now.  

2 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I'm just not willing to put all Baker's issues on him right now.  

Coming into today only 6 QB's had been sacked or hurried less than Mayfield, they led the league in rushing yards per game (2nd in ypc + TD as well), and they have a top 5 group of pass catchers. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Impressive tools, far from ready to start in the NFL.

He does come from a pro ready offense though, no? Pretty sure Daniel Jeremiah said something to the extent of being farther along than Wentz coming out even?

36 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He does come from a pro ready offense though, no? Pretty sure Daniel Jeremiah said something to the extent of being farther along than Wentz coming out if I remember right even?

Yes as far as college offenses go it’s more of a pro offense than most. NDSU doesn’t run a “check with me” offense where any checks come from the sideline but from what I remember Trey didn’t do a lot of checking out of plays or calling audibles. But he ran pro formations from under center and the shotgun. As far as being farther along than Wentz that is a stretch. Wentz was a fifth year senior and a football nerd. The football IQ on Wentz coming out was very high. I haven’t seen the same out of Trey unless he made a leap over the summer. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

He does come from a pro ready offense though, no? Pretty sure Daniel Jeremiah said something to the extent of being farther along than Wentz coming out even?

Have you watched NDSU play? Like 85% of his passes were check downs, screens, or to wide open players in the flat. With the occasional deep bomb/splash play. Their offense did a great job of scheming guys open and give him plays where it was 1 read and then look to take off running. 

42 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Have you watched NDSU play? Like 85% of his passes were check downs, screens, or to wide open players in the flat. With the occasional deep bomb/splash play. Their offense did a great job of scheming guys open and give him plays where it was 1 read and then look to take off running. 

I've only seen his game against South Dakota last year so far.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I've only seen his game against South Dakota last year so far.

I've watched like 6-7 games of his so far. He definitely arm talent, is excellent extending plays, and one of the better running QB's we've seen come out in a few years. Two things that kept coming up when I watched him though were poor ball placement and a lack of throws into tight windows. NDSU did a pretty good job of getting the ball out of his hands quickly and even his big throws down field were typically to wide open receivers. 

If I had to make a comparison for him, I think his ceiling is Cam Newton.