Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Which is hard to believe based on his performance against Central Arkansas. 

His one opportunity to showcase himself definitely did not got well. And it’s unfortunate. If they had a full season I think he would show some improvement. Like you have said, and I agree, he has some accuracy issues. He has had tendency to rely on his legs, but that is also by design. NDSU utilizes tight ends often and work the body with running backs and short to intermediate stuff in order to hit that deep shot. To Trey’s credit he typically hits that shot. I don’t think he is a day one starter. I have said before I think a spot like Indy if Rivers hangs around a couple more or NO if Brees sticks around is ideal for him. Even Jax if they want to just move on from Minshew after his rookie contract. He has work to do. Reminds me of Jordan Love coming out last year. I think he is a little better as a runner than Love though. 

7 minutes ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

His one opportunity to showcase himself definitely did not got well. And it’s unfortunate. If they had a full season I think he would show some improvement. Like you have said, and I agree, he has some accuracy issues. He has had tendency to rely on his legs, but that is also by design. NDSU utilizes tight ends often and work the body with running backs and short to intermediate stuff in order to hit that deep shot. To Trey’s credit he typically hits that shot. I don’t think he is a day one starter. I have said before I think a spot like Indy if Rivers hangs around a couple more or NO if Brees sticks around is ideal for him. Even Jax if they want to just move on from Minshew after his rookie contract. He has work to do. Reminds me of Jordan Love coming out last year. I think he is a little better as a runner than Love though. 

What is the deal with Lance and why does everyone love him. I get the feeling its just because of the Wentz/Josh Allen factor. Hes a super raw prospect from a small school who puts up great numbers against bad opponents. What makes him any different than Case Keenum (Houston), Matt Johnson (Bowling Green),  Kellen Moore (Boise) or Colt Brennan (Hawaii).

Is it just his size? Because I just dont understand how any single person can view him as a better prospect than Lawrence/Fields. IMO Lance is a late 1st flier to a desperate team looking to develop a QB for a few years.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

What is the deal with Lance and why does everyone love him. I get the feeling its just because of the Wentz/Josh Allen factor. Hes a super raw prospect from a small school who puts up great numbers against bad opponents. What makes him any different than Case Keenum (Houston), Matt Johnson (Bowling Green),  Kellen Moore (Boise) or Colt Brennan (Hawaii).

Is it just his size? Because I just dont understand how any single person can view him as a better prospect than Lawrence/Fields. IMO Lance is a late 1st flier to a desperate team looking to develop a QB for a few years.

When you have an arm like that with his physical ability/athleticism, with the way the NFL is going, he's a legit prospect.

It's obvious Lance's play style fits what the NFL is going for and the upside is sky high. With the demand for a franchise QB I'm not sure why it's surprising.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I think the Josh Allen factor is exactly it.

The theory would be that Lance is a super athletic guy with a big arm who can run around and make his own plays while he develops as a passer.  But college QBs rarely have massive jumps in completion percentage from college to the pros, so Allen is the outlier there.  

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

When you have an arm like that with his physical ability/athleticism, with the way the NFL is going, he's a legit prospect.

It's obvious Lance's play style fits what the NFL is going for and the upside is sky high. With the demand for a franchise QB I'm not sure why it's surprising.

I see why people like him but given how raw he is as a prospect, the level of competition he faced and the complete unknown I dont understand how anybody has him ranked with Lawrence/Fields. Ive seen people on here saying he could go #1 ahead of Lawrence or #2 ahead of Fields. 

I just dont get that part of it. I view it as:

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

------------------------------------------GAP (pick 15-32)

3. Lance

4. Trask

----------------------------------------GAP (late 2nd)

5. Jones

1 minute ago, Ragnarok said:

I think the Josh Allen factor is exactly it.

The theory would be that Lance is a super athletic guy with a big arm who can run around and make his own plays while he develops as a passer.  But college QBs rarely have massive jumps in completion percentage from college to the pros, so Allen is the outlier there.  

Exactly, Lance is the type of prospect that either turns into a All-Pro (20%) or gets a entire coaching staff and front office fired (80%)

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He has all the tools you look for in a QB. Great size, athletic ability, and arm strength. I really only think one guy here has put him above Lawerence. He is a similar prospect to Fields with Fields having the edge on level of competition. Using the QB’s you listed the only commonality is they are from smaller schools. Lance has far superior traits in pretty every way compared to those you listed. They really are nothing alike as far as prospects and talent go. 

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I see why people like him but given how raw he is as a prospect, the level of competition he faced and the complete unknown I dont understand how anybody has him ranked with Lawrence/Fields. Ive seen people on here saying he could go #1 ahead of Lawrence or #2 ahead of Fields. 

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

3. Lance

4. Trask

5. Jones

I would agree with how you have these ranked but I would put Trey in picks 10-20. Trask I don’t know a lot about. Jones is rising as is Wilson out of BYU so one of them may sneak into round 1 as well. 

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

1. Lawrence

2. Fields

3. Lance

4. Trask

5. Jones

I mean, we all know QBs are generally lower on boards than where they go at the top. 

That's the position that can solely turn an organization around. Lance has the talent to be "that guy". There's a risk sure, but grabbing an OT/DE, even if they work out, aren't likely changing the scope of the team even if they work out if you don't have a QB. 

16 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I mean, we all know QBs are generally lower on boards than where they go at the top. 

That's the position that can solely turn an organization around. Lance has the talent to be "that guy". There's a risk sure, but grabbing an OT/DE, even if they work out, aren't likely changing the scope of the team even if they work out if you don't have a QB. 

very true

2 hours ago, .Buzz said:

See the WFT at 95% of 1991 - present

2 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

He has all the tools you look for in a QB. Great size, athletic ability, and arm strength. I really only think one guy here has put him above Lawerence. He is a similar prospect to Fields with Fields having the edge on level of competition. Using the QB’s you listed the only commonality is they are from smaller schools. Lance has far superior traits in pretty every way compared to those you listed. They really are nothing alike as far as prospects and talent go. 

Tools are meaningless with no evidence of intangibles which he failed to show when he had the opportunity against a perceived inferior opponent, Fields showed tremendous poise, leadership and toughness as a first year starter and still has room to ascend as a player.  Lance need a lot more refinement than most think.... 

33 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Tools are meaningless with no evidence of intangibles which he failed to show when he had the opportunity against a perceived inferior opponent, Fields showed tremendous poise, leadership and toughness as a first year starter and still has room to ascend as a player.  Lance need a lot more refinement than most think.... 

I think everyone knows Trey is a raw prospect. I’m not even arguing he is ahead of Fields. I feel they are in the same tier of prospect with similar attributes. If you’re basing your assessment off of the one game this year against a quality (FCS) team who had played four games prior along with the practice time then yea he lacks some “intangibles” but even in that game he made the plays that needed to be made. He just did it as a runner rather than a passer which is my biggest concern for him, over relying on his legs. But Trey showed plenty of that last year and showed his intangibles over the course of 16 games. I wish he could have had this full year just to show his improvement and answer some more questions but that just wasn’t in the cards. 

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

What is the deal with Lance and why does everyone love him.

He has prototypical size, good arm talent, and is a very good athlete in the mold of other guys we've seen have success lately like Josh Allen and Deshaun Watson. The reason I think people fell in love with him though is because he had 3,900 total yards, 42 total TD, and 0 turnovers for a 15-0 NDSU team last year. But the numbers don't really tell the full story with him. 

7 hours ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah plus guys like Mahomes, Watson, Allen, and Jackson all had problems with accuracy and/or interceptions in college and went on to become good players. The league is also trending heavily away from pocket passers and towards more mobile guys.