Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

7 hours ago, CrazyJoeDavola said:

His one opportunity to showcase himself definitely did not got well.

I don’t think he is a day one starter. I have said before I think a spot like Indy if Rivers hangs around a couple more or NO if Brees sticks around is ideal for him. Even Jax if they want to just move on from Minshew after his rookie contract. He has work to do. Reminds me of Jordan Love coming out last year. I think he is a little better as a runner than Love though. 

It wasn't a horrible performance but if you watch the last few games he put on tape he missed a ton of easy throws and didn't look great. 

I've compared him to Love as a prospect as well, good physical tools and high upside, but he definitely needs some time before he's a high level starter. 

12 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah plus guys like Mahomes, Watson, Allen, and Jackson all had problems with accuracy and/or interceptions in college and went on to become good players. The league is also trending heavily away from pocket passers and towards more mobile guys. 

Did Watson have those issues?

Just now, Ragnarok said:

Did Watson have those issues?

Jackson/Allen had accuracy issues and both completed less than 60% of their passes in college. 

Watson/Mahomes didn't have accuracy issues but they had issues with interceptions. Watson had 30 INT in his last 30 college games and Mahomes had 25 INT in his last 25 college games. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Jackson/Allen had accuracy issues and both completed less than 60% of their passes in college. 

Watson/Mahomes didn't have accuracy issues but they had issues with interceptions. Watson had 30 INT in his last 30 college games and Mahomes had 25 INT in his last 25 college games. 

Worth pointing out that overall INT numbers don't tell the whole story. 

I forget their exact numbers off memory, but Mahomes threw considerably more passes than anyone else in his class courtesy of the "air raid" system he was from and ended up with a dramatically lower INT rate than say, Watson as a result. 

That said even INT rate isn't the whole picture either, as you have to look for passes that could/should have been INTs, where the passes are thrown (air raid offenses often have a huge chunk of passes at or behind the LOS instead of a run game), how good the defenses are, what kind of WRs they're throwing to (Watson had a bunch of jump ball guys at Clemson), and what situations they where throwing in (being down and desperate late in games often ends with more picks).. Looking back at the Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson class, the game that really sold me on Mahomes was his bowl game against LSU the year before he came out, specifically because he did what he did against every team and lit them up. I'd add, that TT had an atrocious defense and despite being down in many games and having to try and throw his way into wins, his INT rate was still really solid. 

There's a lot of factors to consider on INTs 

• 2 weeks later...

IMO Lance and Fields are potential bust.

Lance physical traits carries him against very weak competition . What I see is a QB that looks a his 1st option and if he not open he takes off and runs or scrambles to find someone open. He can scramble all day at that level however it won 't fly when he plays with the big boys. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st RD. Jordan Love draft hype by the draft gurus!

Fields number are so inflated because of the tremendous OL. He has skills however he doesn't see the rush, most of the time he doesn't have to worry because he has 4 to 5 seconds to throw the ball. What concern me most at the next level will he be able to read the defense when his time in the pocket is cut in half. I'm not saying he Haskins however the hype doesn't match the numbers. Everyone considered Haskins a steal when he was drafted or at least thought he was high pick.  Watch tape and count how much time Fields has in the pocket. He has all day.

Note  I watched him last week and the pregame show had a graph when he is pressured and his numbers were drastically lower.

Edited by m haynes

22 minutes ago, m haynes said:

IMO Lance and Fields are potential bust.

Lance physical traits carries him against very weak competition . What I see is a QB that looks a his 1st option and if he not open he takes off and runs or scrambles to find someone open. He can scramble all day at that level however it won 't fly when he plays with the big boys. I wouldn't touch him in the 1st RD. Jordan Love draft hype by the draft gurus!

Fields number are so inflated because of the tremendous OL. He has skills however he doesn't see the rush, most of the time he doesn't have to worry because he has 4 to 5 seconds to throw the ball. What concern me most at the next level will he be able to read the defense when his time in the pocket is cut in half. I'm not saying he Haskins however the hype doesn't match the numbers. Everyone considered Haskins a steal when he was drafted or at least thought he was high pick.  Watch tape and count how much time Fields has in the pocket. He has all day.

Note  I watched him last week and the pregame show had a graph when he is pressured and his numbers were drastically lower.

So Fields is BUST because he just so happens to have a great OL. Then Lawrence might be the biggest bust of all if only because he ALSO plays behind Great OL.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Chargers said:

So Fields is BUST because he just so happens to have a great OL. Then Lawrence might be the biggest bust of all if only because he ALSO plays behind Great OL.

Burrow had a good OL (a few of which starting on NFL teams this year) and insane weapons around him last year. What were the Bengals thinking taking him 1st overall? 

Clearly just a product of the system.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chargers said:

Well I disagree when you compare Offensive lines,  its not even close. There has been 3 Clemson OL picked in the last 10 years and  8 for Ohio State.  This year OSU might have the best in the country. OSU is a OL factory for the NFL.

https://rubbingtherock.com/2020/09/20/clemson-football-offensive-line-identity/ .

https://www.landgrantholyland.com/2020/6/24/21301708/ohio-state-buckeyes-football-offensive-line-wyatt-davis-josh-myers-thayer-munford-harry-miller

22 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Burrow had a good OL (a few of which starting on NFL teams this year) and insane weapons around him last year. What were the Bengals thinking taking him 1st overall? 

Clearly just a product of the system.

Ok  We can do the system comparison for every QB every drafted however when I look at the tape I don't see Fields any where close to Borrows talent. Matter of fact,  there have been 100's of Fields that have been over hyped and have flopped in the NFL. IMO its a good possibly he might be one of them. There is not right or wrong with what you and I think. We will see the results in the future.

PS I see no reason to argue my post going forward. Both of us know Jack ship when it comes to who's going to be good in the NFL!!😁

Edited by m haynes

46 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Ok  We can do the system comparison for every QB every drafted however when I look at the tape I don't see Fields any where close to Borrows talent. Matter of fact,  there have been 100's of Fields that have been over hyped and have flopped in the NFL. IMO its a good possibly he might be one of them. There is not right or wrong with what you and I think. We will see the results in the future.

PS I see no reason to argue my post going forward. Both of us know Jack ship when it comes to who's going to be good in the NFL!!😁

It's fine if you don't think he'll be good. You're right, no one knows for sure.

But I get tired of the "his supporting cast is good so we need to knock him for it" argument. 

• Like 2

I just watched a 7 min highlight reel of Lance and it was 7 mins of play action deep ball TDs with the vast majority being wide open. All I took from it is that he can run and is a good athlete at QB and can throw the ball down field to open guys.

What else is there about him? Can he read a defense? How his his short/intermediate accuracy? Can he play under center? Can he go through multiple reads?

Edited by AkronsWitness
  • Like 3

On 11/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, m haynes said:

tenor.gif?itemid=17166398

• Like 2

On 11/6/2020 at 4:11 PM, m haynes said:

I'm not saying he Haskins however the hype doesn't match the numbers. Everyone considered Haskins a steal when he was drafted or at least thought he was high pick.  Watch tape and count how much time Fields has in the pocket. He has all day.

I'm not sure I agree that is true. Soooooo many people thought it was a reach. 

8 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I'm not sure I agree that is true. Soooooo many people thought it was a reach. 

Not to mention he is/was a pocket passer coming out. It's obvious in today's NFL most of the uber successful young QBs nowadays are the ones that have at least somewhat of a dual threat ability/keeps the defense on their toes...

..and *cough*, Fields is glowing in that area.

• Like 1