Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

On 11/6/2020 at 1:35 PM, Chargers said:

So Fields is BUST because he just so happens to have a great OL. Then Lawrence might be the biggest bust of all if only because he ALSO plays behind Great OL.

I think there is merit to this.  Watch his tape, rarely is he under pressure.  But you are right, it isn't that he is a bust, it just makes him more of an unknown risk.

I have an open mind and I'm willing to change opinion, but what I see is...

- An athletic QB who will excel in things like zone-read, and will work really well on a team that has a great OL and good run game already (so kind of like what Baltimore can do with Lamar)

- Great arm, looks effortless and is a quick release

- Can make difficult throws because his arm is so good

but...

- Clearly works in a simple offense, 1 or 2 read

- Stares down receivers and took a few big hits from not feeling pressure (but I've not got a big sample size, tbf)

- Seems to be throwing to a lot of open receivers 

It's a bit of a red-flag to me that Draftnetwork's 4th positive point on him was 'He's competitive and will chase the ball carrier down on turnovers',

I think a team is going to draft him in the top 10. I don't want it to be mine though. 

8 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

I have an open mind and I'm willing to change opinion, but what I see is...

- An athletic QB who will excel in things like zone-read, and will work really well on a team that has a great OL and good run game already (so kind of like what Baltimore can do with Lamar)

- Great arm, looks effortless and is a quick release

- Can make difficult throws because his arm is so good

but...

- Clearly works in a simple offense, 1 or 2 read

- Stares down receivers and took a few big hits from not feeling pressure (but I've not got a big sample size, tbf)

- Seems to be throwing to a lot of open receivers 

It's a bit of a red-flag to me that Draftnetwork's 4th positive point on him was 'He's competitive and will chase the ball carrier down on turnovers',

I think a team is going to draft him in the top 10. I don't want it to be mine though. 

The bold was said about Trey Lance?

As far as your other points I mostly agree although the offense is more complex than you think. And is more of a pro style offense than most college teams run. He does have a tendency to pre determine his throw though which leads to staring his receiver down. I don’t know if it’s inability to feel pressure or a trust in offensive line since they typically don’t allow a lot of pressure. But that’s something that can be learned. He has the tools you can’t teach so that’s why he is ranked as he is. Plus he is very young yet. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2020 at 5:08 PM, m haynes said:

Ok  We can do the system comparison for every QB every drafted however when I look at the tape I don't see Fields any where close to Borrows talent. Matter of fact,  there have been 100's of Fields that have been over hyped and have flopped in the NFL. IMO its a good possibly he might be one of them. There is not right or wrong with what you and I think. We will see the results in the future.

PS I see no reason to argue my post going forward. Both of us know Jack ship when it comes to who's going to be good in the NFL!!😁

There have been 100s of Fields? If Fields wins the Heisman and leads the team to the title, he might go down as one of the greatest buckeyes ever. That alone says a lot about him. 

The guy in the last 17 games, this year and last year has thrown 52TDs to 3 INTs. He currently has more TDs than incomplete plasses. Throwing at a career clip of just about71%. When have we seen a QB that insanely efficient besides Burrow last year. 

Fields has been a starter for only 17 games but he has been by far the best player on the field for every one of those games. Dude was one of the best HS kids, he is now one of the best, if not the best college kid, what makes you think, thats just going to suddenly change outside of a major career altering injury?

He isnt running a gimmicky offense or living and dying off of his legs either. Day has him running an NFL style passing attack and he barely runs

2 hours ago, buno67 said:

52TDs to 3 INTs. 71%

Wow,  Love those Ohio State numbers. Here some more from another Ohio State great!

22 games, 70% passing , 54 TD, 9 INT.   Pretty similar to Fields,   he must of killed it in the NFL.      Now, what was his name???  Oh ya, Haskins.

Ohio State QB numbers means jack crap at the next level.  Their history of successful QBs  in the NFL, zero!!! 

Lastly,  Fields a transfer from GU. He couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm!!!! Fact.

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

I believe this forum has an issue of whether to assess the player alone or whether to assess the player as he fits in with his team. Some people look just at the QB and try and take out everything else that he's working with - for example what Hayes has just done with Fields by trying to look at the player in a vacuum and determine what he's actually like without all the help around him. Whereas some people build a picture using everything, so if Fields has 50 TDs and 2 Int, then that's what he is, and he's an elite prospect no matter which situation he gets inserted in. 

Some of course try and do both.

Which way is correct? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Wow,  Love those Ohio State numbers. Here some more from another Ohio State great!

22 games, 70% passing , 54 TD, 9 INT.   Pretty similar to Fields,   he must of killed it in the NFL.      Now, what was his name???  Oh ya, Haskins.

Ohio State QB numbers means jack crap at the next level.  Their history of successful QBs  in the NFL, zero!!! 

Lastly,  Fields a transfer from GU. He couldn't even beat out Jake Fromm!!!! Fact.

So your gonna kill the kid becuase Kirby wouldn’t start him over Fromm, the QB who just lead them to the title Game. Hell, their are a lot of fans out there that believe Kirby screwed that all up no playing him. 

You ask ohio state fans who is a better QB, Haskins or Fields, everyone is going to name Fields. Haskins numbers were overall inflated cause all they did was pass with him. They had no running game whatsoever. Now you look at fields. He played with in a very balance system and still put up huge numbers even tho he has a 2,000yard rusher. No one is calling Haskins potentially the best buckeye ever but fields they are. 

also are we going to kill Haskins cause he went to an absolute mess of a franchise. No QB is turning thst franchise around.

If your one thing to say Fields is going to be a bust is becuase he went to Ohio state, than you have no idea what makes a QB bad or good cause apparently you don’t watch them 

then every top QB should be considered a bust than. 

lawrence is playing in an NFL factory program

fields is playing in a NFL factory program 

Lance is playing in by far the best program in the nation for his level.

so tell us, who is the best QB prospect cause those 3 ain’t it?

Edited by buno67

6 hours ago, m haynes said:

If you're scouting by looking at stats you're already doing it wrong. Helmet scouting is some of the laziest BS. If you watch him and say, the Ohio State system makes him look better than he is and he actually sucks, I can accept that even though I ultimately disagree. What I think is lazy is saying stuff like Ohio State QBs have always sucked so that means this one sucks too. That's not even meaningful analysis, it's just dumb.

And that Fromm argument is also dumb. Most schools aren't going to start their true freshman QB over their established veteran starter. Lawrence doing that is an exception not the rule. And quite frankly letting Fields walk to keep Fromm was I think the absolute wrong decision. Fromm never was or will be the playmaker that Fields is regardless of how good you ultimately think Fields is.

17 minutes ago, rackcs said:

If you're scouting by looking at stats you're already doing it wrong. Helmet scouting is some of the laziest BS. If you watch him and say, the Ohio State system makes him look better than he is and he actually sucks, I can accept that even though I ultimately disagree. What I think is lazy is saying stuff like Ohio State QBs have always sucked so that means this one sucks too. That's not even meaningful analysis, it's just dumb.

And that Fromm argument is also dumb. Most schools aren't going to start their true freshman QB over their established veteran starter. Lawrence doing that is an exception not the rule. And quite frankly letting Fields walk to keep Fromm was I think the absolute wrong decision. Fromm never was or will be the playmaker that Fields is regardless of how good you ultimately think Fields is.

Come on. The Fromm comment has little to do with my opinion. It was more of a dig. My opinion has nothing to do with a comparisiom, it was a response to the Field inflated numbers that all.  

If you went back and read why I have doubts,  you will see why I feel this way.  I watched him after I seen a stat on TV that showed his number declined when he is pressured in the pocket.

Ya the Fromm can be considered dumb however my original point had nothing to do with a OSU comparison. My OSU comparison was made because Fields numbers mean crap. They are totally useless. The reason that is a fact is because history is on my side. Stats are fools gold!

I said early post I would not defend my position . I should of listen.  I done, Thanks will see in the future. 

Here I go again one last time. 😀 IMO Wilson is a better QB prospect. I know he plays against nobody's however how many times have you heard he plays WITH nobody's !!!

Edited by m haynes

6 hours ago, m haynes said:

These are some really dumb takes, congrats bro....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

I'm not even sure Lance is the third best QB in the draft.

I'm really excited to see how the QB boards shake out throughout the draft process, especially in the offseason when all the rumors start flying about team boards and stuff. It's going to be fun. There's a ton of potential first round QBs.