Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Trask's arm is definitely good enough. It's just not anything more than that.

That's what I said. People bag on it unnecessarily. It's not Josh Allen or mahomes or Stafford, but you also don't need to be that. His physical tools are just fine

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

That's what I said. People bag on it unnecessarily. It's not Josh Allen or mahomes or Stafford, but you also don't need to be that. His physical tools are just fine

Eh, there's enough limitations their (mobility, etc.) to knock the ceiling though overall.

He's not someone I care to take with the mindset of getting a "franchise" guy at this point. He's intriguing though.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Eh, there's enough limitations their to knock the ceiling though overall.

He's not someone I care to take with the mindset of getting a "franchise" guy at this point. He's intriguing though.

His physical tools aren't something that should knock his ceiling though. There are a number of QBs in the goat conversation who don't exactly have cannons or ever had cannons.  If he understands working with what he has, it's fine. What he has is good enough. 

His ceiling is certainly franchise quarterback.... Now, I'm not sure his likelihood of hitting that is very good. I think he's going to be a check down guy tbh. I kind of get Jimmy / Derek carr type vibes, but that's just gut

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Eh, there's enough limitations their (mobility, etc.) to knock the ceiling though overall.

I can't escape the feeling that he's Nick Foles. But when he's on, he looks really special. Has the field vision, mental processing ability, anticipation, smarts, touch, and ability to manipulate coverage of a NFL veteran. Consistently moves coverage with his eyes. But I think he'll struggle if he lands with a NFL team that can't protect him. If you have an OL, he can really distribute the ball.

15 minutes ago, Forge said:

His physical tools aren't something that should knock his ceiling though. There are a number of QBs in the goat conversation who don't exactly have cannons or ever had cannons.  If he understands working with what he has, it's fine. What he has is good enough. 

His ceiling is certainly franchise quarterback.... Now, I'm not sure his likelihood of hitting that is very good. I think he's going to be a check down guy tbh. I kind of get Jimmy / Derek carr type vibes, but that's just gut

The game is changing. Look at the successful guys who have come out the last several years. They aren't traditional pocket passers with "good enough" arms that don't have much mobility/don't at least make teams take into account their running ability. 

Do you classify a middle of the road QB like Garrapolo as a franchise guy?

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I can't escape the feeling that he's Nick Foles. But when he's on, he looks really special. Has the field vision, mental processing ability, anticipation, smarts, touch, and ability to manipulate coverage of a NFL veteran. Consistently moves coverage with his eyes. But I think he'll struggle if he lands with a NFL team that can't protect him. If you have an OL, he can really distribute the ball.

That's a good comp I'd say. He may end up being a solid NFL QB. But unless you have a great setup around him I don't see him taking you places even if he hits his ceiling.

Just now, .Buzz said:

The game is changing. Look at the successful guys who have come out the last several years. They aren't traditional pocket passers with "good enough" arms that don't have much mobility/don't at least make teams take into account their running ability.

This isn't the first time I heard the game is changing. The changes in the game have allowed mobile QBs to be more successful than in the past, but they haven't changed the amount of success you can achieve with a great pocket passer. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

This isn't the first time I heard the game is changing. The changes in the game have allowed mobile QBs to be more successful than in the past, but they haven't changed the amount of success you can achieve with a great pocket passer. 

What pocket passers that have come out in the last several years have been successful?

Recently? I see guys like Rosen and Haskins who had those type of questions.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

What pocket passers that have come out in the last several years have been successful?

Recently? I see guys like Rosen and Haskins who had those type of questions.

Pocket passers don't enter their primes until 27 to 30 years old. I think Goff and Burrow will both prove to be franchise QBs. Mayfield is still up in the air. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

Pocket passers don't enter their primes until 27 to 30 years old. I think Goff and Burrow will both prove to be franchise QBs. Mayfield is still up in the air. 

I'm not saying pocket passers can't work, but I think you need to have enough mobility to cause a defense to respect it. I also think it puts more pressure on the arm if you don't...and as we've established, it's good enough but nothing to write home about.

If you lack mobility, just have a "good enough" arm, every other part of your game better be damn good.

18 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Do you classify a middle of the road QB like Garrapolo as a franchise guy?

I didn't say they were...I basically said he reminded me of them, but that doesn't alter whether or not he has a franchise qb ceiling. Those guys had franchise QB ceilings even they came out as well for some people

7 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I'm not saying pocket passers can't work, but I think you need to have enough mobility to cause a defense to respect it. I also think it puts more pressure on the arm if you don't...and as we've established, it's good enough but nothing to write home about.

If you lack mobility, just have a "good enough" arm, every other part of your game better be damn good.

I don't think you do. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, etc. do just fine in today's NFL without defense's respecting their legs. If you aren't very mobile, you need to be able to compensate. I agree. Trask may have the skills elsewhere to do so. We'll certainly find out. I wouldn't take him top 10. But if I'm a team like Pittsburgh, Indy, or New Orleans in the late first, I'd consider it (assuming Trask continues to play at a high level).

7 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Burrow can scoot though 

What young QB can't move a little?

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1