Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think you do. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, etc. do just fine in today's NFL without defense's respecting their legs. If you aren't very mobile, you need to be able to compensate. I agree. Trask may have the skills elsewhere to do so. We'll certainly find out. I wouldn't take him top 10. But if I'm a team like Pittsburgh, Indy, or New Orleans in the late first, I'd consider it (assuming Trask continues to play at a high level).

What young QB can't move a little?

Kyle Trask

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

I didn't say they were...I basically said he reminded of them, but that doesn't alter whether or not he has a franchise qb ceiling. Those guys had franchise QB ceilings even they came out as well for some people

Never meant to signal you were saying that, was just curious if you believed he was. If you did, I'd get the "franchise QB" upside. But I don't give that label out easily.

7 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think you do. Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Matt Ryan, etc. do just fine in today's NFL without defense's respecting their legs. If you aren't very mobile, you need to be able to compensate. I agree. Trask may have the skills elsewhere to do so. We'll certainly find out. I wouldn't take him top 10. But if I'm a team like Pittsburgh or New Orleans in the late first, I'd consider it (assuming Trask continues to play at a high level).

Yes, but again, think it's different for a young guy coming into the NFL who doesn't have all the mental aspects down like the guys you listed. Young QBs with physical limitations isn't an easy feat in today's game imo, especially with a "good enough" arm.

Think in the end at his best case he could be a rock solid starter that with a great team around him could put in work. So I agree with you on team placement.

6 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Never meant to signal you were saying that, was just curious if you believed he was. If you did, I'd get the "franchise QB" upside. But I don't give that label out easily

You can win with them... Need a good contingency plan if you want to dump then because it's very easy to do worse. 

But the margin for error is insanely thin with QBs like that. Everything has to break right. It's not a fun position to be in despite being a better position than a good chunk of nfl teams are in. 

They aren't what I would term franchise guys, but I feel like the nomenclature "qb purgatory" is pejorative, though ostensibly an accurate representation. "Long term quarterbacks" is probably a more polite 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Never meant to signal you were saying that, was just curious if you believed he was. If you did, I'd get the "franchise QB" upside. But I don't give that label out easily.

Yes, but again, think it's different for a young guy coming into the NFL who doesn't have all the mental aspects down like the guys you listed. Young QBs with physical limitations isn't an easy feat in today's game imo, especially with a "good enough" arm.

Think in the end at his best case he could be a rock solid starter that with a great team around him could put in work. So I agree with you on team placement.

I don't think it is different. If anything, it's easier to be effective in today's NFL than it was when those guys were coming up. 

6 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Kyle Trask

Even Trask can move a little.

5 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't think it is different. If anything, it's easier to be effective in today's NFL than it was when those guys were coming up. 

I think it is, especially when you look around at the QBs that have and haven't worked out the past 8-10 years. Hell, just look around at the best teams. They either have QBs that have at least solid mobility or are the guys you listed who have been in the league over a decade.

The fact you used those guys and not other young QBs to compare says it all imo.

Just now, Counselor said:

Not like Burrow is my point 

It's not a relevant point. If Burrow was a tick slower, he'd be still be an exciting talent. I'm not advocating for Trask to go #1 like Burrow did. I'm saying that you don't need to be a great or even good runner to be successful in today's NFL as a QB. He asked what young pocket passers I think will be successful. I answered. 

Just now, jrry32 said:

It's not a relevant point. If Burrow was a tick slower, he'd be still be an exciting talent. I'm not advocating for Trask to go #1 like Burrow did. I'm saying that you don't need to be a great or even good runner to be successful in today's NFL as a QB. He asked what young pocket passers I think will be successful. I answered. 

It’s completely relevant. 

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I think it is, especially when you look around at the QBs that have and haven't worked out the past 8-10 years. Hell, just look around at the best teams. They either have QBs that have at least solid mobility or are the guys you listed who have been in the league over a decade.

The fact you used those guys and not other young QBs to compare says it all imo.

I used those guys because I don't want to get into a stupid debate over whether certain young QBs are franchise QBs or not. You can't make a decent argument that pocket passers can't be effective in today's NFL if Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady are still very effective. And while we're talking about QBs who haven't panned out, you are conveniently ignoring the greater list. Rosen busted. Haskins looks to be on his way. But so did Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Paxton Lynch, Sam Darnold (to this point) and Mitch Trubisky. Each of those guys can move. Wentz is also having a really rough year. I think he'll bounce back, though. The simple truth is that there are far more mobile QBs than true pocket passers entering the NFL right now because of how the game has changed at the high school and college levels. You're drawing a conclusion that isn't supported by the data.

4 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I like Trask though. I think he could be a QB you can build around. Give him some a solid oline and weapons and he can succeed and win quite a few games at the next level.

He's the perfect shanny qb. Dude is going to take him in round two, make life ridiculously easy on him for four years throwing six yards down the field and letting kittle / aiyuk / deebo do all the hard work, then hopefully fool someone into trading a bunch for him lol

• Like 1