Jump to content

Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...


Recommended Posts

Just now, Forge said:

He's the perfect shanny qb. Dude is going to take him in round two, make life ridiculously easy on him for four years throwing six yards down the field and letting kittle / aiyuk / deebo do all the hard work, then hopefully fool someone into trading a bunch for trask lok

Frankly, if you can protect him, he'd probably do quite well in that system. His skills and mental acuity are really strong. Just doesn't deal with pressure well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jrry32 said:

I used those guys because I don't want to get into a stupid debate over whether certain young QBs are franchise QBs or not. You can't make a decent argument that pocket passers can't be effective in today's NFL if Drew Brees, Matt Ryan, and Tom Brady are still very effective. And while we're talking about QBs who haven't panned out, you are conveniently ignoring the greater list. Rosen busted. Haskins looks to be on his way. But so did Marcus Mariota, Jameis Winston, Paxton Lynch, Sam Darnold (to this point) and Mitch Trubisky. Each of those guys can move. Wentz is also having a really rough year. I think he'll bounce back, though. The simple truth is that there are far more mobile QBs than true pocket passers entering the NFL right now because of how the game has changed at the high school and college levels. You're drawing a conclusion that isn't supported by the data.

I never said being mobile means you are going to be a franchise guy. Idk how you came to that conclusion. 

I said in today's NFL it's important and gives you a big advantage. If you don't have that trait than it puts a lot more pressure on other aspects of your game. When you look at Trask further and see he doesn't have a great arm...yeah, I don't see a franchise QB. I see a guy that could end up being good enough with a great supporting cast to win games with.

For me? I'll pass. For a team like SF or someone with a great team that needs a solid enough guy? I'm probably giving it a shot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

I never said being mobile means you are going to be a franchise guy. Idk how you came to that conclusion. 

I said in today's NFL it's important and gives you a big advantage. If you don't have that trait than it puts a lot more pressure on other aspects of your game. When you look at Trask further and see he doesn't have a great arm...yeah, I don't see a franchise QB. I see a guy that could end up being good enough with a great supporting cast to win games with.

For me? I'll pass. For a team like SF or someone with a great team that needs a solid enough guy? I'm probably giving it a shot.

What you implied is that pure pocket passers aren't likely to be successful in today's NFL because of how the game has changed. I don't agree. You then used Haskins and Rosen to make that point. My point was that if you look back, you can find plenty of mobile QBs who busted too (in addition to the earlier list, you can add Manziel and Bortles if you go back to 2014). I wouldn't stake a top 10 pick on Trask. But yeah, if I'm a good team with an aging QB, I'd take him as a guy to develop. I think the defining trait for success in the NFL is mental acuity, and he has that in spades.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Counselor said:

What does this have to do with Trey Lance maybe being the best QB prospect in the 2021 draft? It’s clearly not relevant!

It's a Van thread. Just be glad it hasn't devolved into arguing over Josh Dobbs at this point. 😂

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

What you implied is that pure pocket passers aren't likely to be successful in today's NFL because of how the game has changed. I don't agree. You then used Haskins and Rosen to make that point. My point was that if you look back, you can find plenty of mobile QBs who busted too (in addition to the earlier list, you can add Manziel and Bortles if you go back to 2014). I wouldn't stake a top 10 pick on Trask. But yeah, if I'm a good team with an aging QB, I'd take him as a guy to develop. I think the defining trait for success in the NFL is mental acuity, and he has that in spades.

Think at this point we're talking about different things/something got taken the wrong way if we're using Joe Burrow as an example in favor of this/pocket passers.

Anyway, how about Trey Lance guys?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Think at this point we're talking about different things/something got taken the wrong way if we're using Joe Burrow as an example in favor of this/pocket passers.

Anyway, how about Trey Lance guys?

You asked which young pocket passers I think will be franchise QBs. I consider Burrow to be a pocket passer, despite him having some mobility.

Edited by jrry32
Link to post
Share on other sites

Would it bother anyone if Lance was drafted into a situation where he didn't play in year one and therefore didn't have a whole lot of game experience over the course of two full years?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...