Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

10 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would it bother anyone if Lance was drafted into a situation where he didn't play in year one and therefore didn't have a whole lot of game experience over the course of two full years?

Seems like the right way to handle him, if you can.

On 11/15/2020 at 1:21 AM, Forge said:

Would it bother anyone if Lance was drafted into a situation where he didn't play in year one and therefore didn't have a whole lot of game experience over the course of two full years?

I think this is the only way to handle him and I don't think anything is wrong with that. IIRC Steve McNair sat for a few years and became a really good QB in this league, I can see a similar track for him. But playing right away would nothing short of disaster for him

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I think this is the only way to handle him and I don't think anything is wrong with that. IIRC Steve McNair sat for a few years and became a really good QB in this league, I can see a similar track for him. But playing right away would nothing short of disaster for him

Idk, I mean ideally you let him sit for a few games at least but I don't think he's as big of a "work in progress" or "super raw" as some people think.

1 hour ago, .Buzz said:

Idk, I mean ideally you let him sit for a few games at least but I don't think he's as big of a "work in progress" or "super raw" as some people think.

Thats fair, it also depends on where he goes. If he goes somewhere where he has a guy who is a great QB developer he can shorten that learning curve a lot faster 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 12:21 AM, Forge said:

I think that's the ideal situation.  He's raw.  Like uncooked meat raw.  If you play him Y1 in the NFL, you'll break him.  Someone like Minnesota seems like a logical landing spot.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2020 at 6:34 PM, Hajroman said:

Lance will cost a coach and gm their job. Aside from having the physical tools, I would not touch him until the 3rd round.

He's not even close to being ready for the NFL. Taking a year off makes it even worse for him. He totally stunk in the only game he played.  

On 11/15/2020 at 12:21 AM, Forge said:

Rodgers barely played for 3 years.  

Obviously not the exact same situation, but no, it wouldn't bother me at all.

• 4 months later...

My final 2021 QB rankings:

1. Trey Lance - All-Pro talent; NFL comp: Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb

2. Trevor Lawrence - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: Archie Manning with Peyton Manning height

3. Zach Wilson - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: rich man's Baker Mayfield; bigger Jim McMahon

4. Justin Fields - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter poor man's Cam Newton

5. Kellen Mond - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter Colin Kapernick

6. Mac Jones - Backup/Low Level Starter; NFL comp: Mason Rudolph

Overall I believe this is an excellent QB class.  In my opinion it is the best QB draft since 2004.  I think there are 5 quality starting caliber QBs in this class.  I would draft Trey Lance 1st overall.  I think he is the best player in this draft regardless of position.  That's how highly I think of him.  I would feel comfortable with drafting Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson in the top 3.  They are great prospects in their own right as well.  Justin Fields and Kellen Mond are mid-1st round caliber picks.  Solid QBs who will win a lot of games in the NFL.  And finally, under no circumstances would I take Mac Jones in the first round.  He is the most likely bust in this QB class.

Edited by VanS
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, VanS said:

My final 2021 QB rankings:

1. Trey Lance - All-Pro talent; NFL comp: Steve McNair/Donovan McNabb

2. Trevor Lawrence - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: Archie Manning with Peyton Manning height

3. Zach Wilson - Pro Bowl talent; NFL comp: rich man's Baker Mayfield; bigger Jim McMahon

4. Justin Fields - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter poor man's Cam Newton

5. Kellen Mond - Solid Starter; NFL comp: shorter Colin Kapernick

6. Mac Jones - Backup/Low Level Starter; NFL comp: Mason Rudolph

Overall I believe this is an excellent QB class.  In my opinion it is the best QB draft since 2004.  I think there are 5 quality starting caliber QBs in this class.  I would draft Trey Lance 1st overall.  I think he is the best player in this draft regardless of position.  That's how highly I think of him.  I would feel comfortable with drafting Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson in the top 3.  They are great prospects in their own right as well.  Justin Fields and Kellen Mond are mid-1st round caliber picks.  Solid QBs who will win a lot of games in the NFL.  And finally, under no circumstances would I take Mac Jones in the first round.  He is the most likely bust in this QB class.

are you Chris Simms?

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

are you Chris Simms?

No.  But we generally see eye to eye on QBs and what traits we value in evaluating prospects.  In 2018 we both had Josh Allen and Lamar Jackson as the top QBs in that class.  In 2019 we were both sold on Kyler Murray.  Last two years I've disagreed with him.  He was big on Joe Burrow and Justin Herbert.  I wasn't.  And this year he's big on Mac Jones but down on Trey Lance while I'm the opposite.