Jump to content

Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...


Recommended Posts

On 5/9/2021 at 9:44 AM, Forge said:

I'll be curious to see if that happens. Right now if the over/under on Lance starts was 10.5, I think I'd take the over. Lot of time for that to change, and he could look flat miserable in practice / off season which forces him to sit, but I think if he just looks mostly competent, he's going to get his run this year

I can definitely see this as a Colin Kaepernick/Alex Smith situation. Jimmy G will look great early in the season and then get nicked up a little at mid season. Lance takes over and is then the incumbent from then on. Jimmy gets traded at the end of the season based on a very good early season, so increases his value to maybe a 2nd and future conditional 2nd if we're lucky.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2020 at 3:32 PM, VanS said:

I don't look at stats so much as traits, skill set, and intangibles.  Lance and Lawrence look a level up above fields IMO.  So it doesn't really matter how much more productive Fields becomes.  He will need to improve his skill set throwing the ball for me to elevate him.

My only concern with Trevor Lawrence are the intangibles.  Physically he might be close to the perfect QB.  But physical skill isn't sufficient to becoming an all-time great.  You also need elite intangibles.  Trey Lance is physically not as gifted as Trevor Lawrence but if he has a superior work ethic its likely he can have a superior NFL career. 

No swag, Fields is best pure thrower in this class outside of Wilson. And even then I dont think its that far apart

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...
On 5/11/2021 at 2:09 AM, AntonChigurh said:

No swag, Fields is best pure thrower in this class outside of Wilson. And even then I dont think its that far apart

What does that even mean? Fields release isn’t pretty

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

So? Who cares, as long as he is accurate.

Just trying to better understand what a "nature thrower" actually is. I envision a natural thrower being someone without a wonky wind-up or release. I'd think of lots of guys that fit that criteria better than Fields...including all of the other top QBs. So, I guess that I just don't understand the term well enough if Fields is a more "natural thrower" than the blond hair God child Trevor Lawrence.

Edited by sammymvpknight
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Just trying to better understand what a "nature thrower" actually is. I envision a natural thrower being someone without a wonky wind-up or release. I'd think of lots of guys that fit that criteria better than Fields...including all of the other top QBs. So, I guess that I just don't understand the term well enough if Fields is a more "natural thrower" than the blond hair God child Trevor Lawrence.

Thats cool, you may think its "wonky" and there are some who think his release is perfectly fine and think those who make a big thing about his release are just nitpicking 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Thats cool, you may think its "wonky" and there are some who think his release is perfectly fine and think those who make a big thing about his release are just nitpicking 

Whats weird is that watching Fields play at OSU for 2 years or whatever it was I never noticed anything abnormal about his release. These questions seem to pop up a lot during his draft evaluation.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Whats weird is that watching Fields play at OSU for 2 years or whatever it was I never noticed anything abnormal about his release. These questions seem to pop up a lot during his draft evaluation.

You'd be amazed what people will find to nitpick about, pocket presence?, decision making, I get, but some of these things these guys come up with are borderline hilarious....

Edited by MSURacerDT55
Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Thats cool, you may think its "wonky" and there are some who think his release is perfectly fine and think those who make a big thing about his release are just nitpicking 

Can you please define "natural thrower" for me? I'm just looking for clarification.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2021 at 10:36 PM, sammymvpknight said:

What does that even mean? Fields release isn’t pretty

He has the ability to drive his throws with his entire body.

So even when his elbow is high, by the time he is bringing the football back behind the ear, his lower body is driving his elbow forward. 

I guess you can call him a power thrower but that doesn't impinge his accuracy at all 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What is odd with Fields isn’t the beautiful accurate ball, release or motion, instead it’s where he carries his elbow before and as the motion initiates. He holds his elbow high up, often over the plane in which his hand gripping the ball is. It’s like an OF in baseball that has that little extra leverage snap to launch it towards the catcher. It’s unique, but it works for him and he remains accurate and has good velocity. Where it potentially is an issue is against Indiana, the elevation may have been an indicator to Jamar Johnson on when to break to make a play on the chosen route. That’s speculation though, but it’s based off a game where the safety saw something or is a wizard with football IQ.  Still a top prospect regardless. Epilepsy under control with medication also is not a big deal and Chicago knocked that pick out of the park. If the Bears clean house and disrupt Fields development, they should seriously consider Ryan Day or Eric Bieneme though to jump start his workable prime with a similar ish system he will have experience in. I think he’ll reach top half starter to fringe top ten while Mack still is lightning it up defensively. 

Edited by Trojan
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/10/2021 at 3:29 PM, Trojan said:

the elevation may have been an indicator to Jamar Johnson on when to break to make a play on the chosen route. That’s speculation though, but it’s based off a game where the safety saw something or is a wizard with football IQ.

I dont know about it being a tell, that Indiana game was weird. The first pick, seem like Indian called the right defense when they tried to attack deep middle with post route when IU calling cover 3 and Johnson was going to be in the right position. The 2 other picks werent on the defense keying something. 2nd pick was tipped INT, looked like 3 IU defenders had their hands on it at least once before it was finally picked off and the 3rd pick by Johnson, came off of Fields heaving the ball up as he was being sacked. IDK, if it was a tell, I would assume Clemson and Venables would have picked up on it and tried to exploit it but Fields tore them up 2 years in a row

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...