Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

4 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

USATSI_16090823-e1624035043138.jpg

How is this NOT going to result in ball security issues and also elbow health concerns?

A lot of us folks over in Bears country are speculating this is the main reason it sounds like Dalton is going to be the Day One starter (most likely, anyway). Nagy and DeFilipio are trying to fix, or minimize, Fields' elbow thing. 

Edited by Heinz D.

35 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

A lot of us folks over in Bears country are speculating this is the main reason it sounds like Dalton is going to be the Day One starter (most likely, anyway). Nagy and DeFilipio are trying to fix, or minimize, Fields' elbow thing. 

Also no reason to have him get eaten alive week one by arguably the best defense in the NFL. Let Dalton fall on that sword

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Forge said:

Also no reason to have him get eaten alive week one by arguably the best defense in the NFL. Let Dalton fall on that sword

That probably figures into it too, yeah. After that, it's likely that Dalton views Cincy as a revenge game. 

Still a chance Fields starts Opening Day, imo. There's also a decent chance he ends up being the best QB from this last draft. 

On 7/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, Heinz D. said:

I think that's a good idea. We'll see if he is able to fix it. Who knows...maybe it won't be an issue. I do like him...but that is one of my nitpicking concerns. 

12 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think that's a good idea. We'll see if he is able to fix it. Who knows...maybe it won't be an issue. I do like him...but that is one of my nitpicking concerns. 

One would think the elbow thing could lead to more turnovers (if nothing else). We have only a vague notion of what they're teaching him or how they're tinkering with him. But there is evidence the elbow thing is of at least some importance to the staff...

On 7/18/2021 at 6:28 AM, sammymvpknight said:

USATSI_16090823-e1624035043138.jpg

How is this NOT going to result in ball security issues and also elbow health concerns?

Honestly his throwing motion reminds me a bit of Mike Vick. I don't see it as a real big issue personally. He's shown at a big program that he can hit every part of the field with accuracy. I like Fields at our pick over Lance, but am completely ok with Lance as I love his upside. My feeling was that Fields and Lance both have tremendous upside but Fields was a safer pick as it stands today. I love everything I have seen and read about Lance thus far and think he's got everything you'd want in a franchise signal caller above the shoulders, but I digress. I think Fields will be a superstar in this league and don't see his motion as a huge deal. I hope they don't ruin him trying to mess with it too much. 

pg2_ap_vick_275.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, GW21 said:

Honestly his throwing motion reminds me a bit of Mike Vick. I don't see it as a real big issue personally. He's shown at a big program that he can hit every part of the field with accuracy. I like Fields at our pick over Lance, but am completely ok with Lance as I love his upside. My feeling was that Fields and Lance both have tremendous upside but Fields was a safer pick as it stands today. I love everything I have seen and read about Lance thus far and think he's got everything you'd want in a franchise signal caller above the shoulders, but I digress. I think Fields will be a superstar in this league and don't see his motion as a huge deal. I hope they don't ruin him trying to mess with it too much. 

pg2_ap_vick_275.jpg

Just to add to this a little bit. I think Fields is a much more advanced passer than Vick was coming out as well. I really think he's going to be a multiple pro-bowl type QB in the league. 

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

pg2_ap_vick_275.jpg

I can see that throwing mechanics comp...but of course Vick had a rocket arm. People forget just how amazing of a prospect Vick was...Fields isn’t particularly close in my opinion (of course ignoring hindsight is tough).

2 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I can see that throwing mechanics comp...but of course Vick had a rocket arm. People forget just how amazing of a prospect Vick was...Fields isn’t particularly close in my opinion (of course ignoring hindsight is tough).

I mean it's been a while since I've watched Vick at VT but, from my recollection, he didn't seem to have the touch and accuracy that Fields has coming out of the gate. I do agree that Vick had a bigger arm though.  

The elbow thing looks weird when you freeze frame an image, but if that's how he's grown up throwing, and that's his technique that makes the ball go as far as it does with as much accuracy as it does, is it really an issue? Has it led to injury before?

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

The elbow thing looks weird when you freeze frame an image, but if that's how he's grown up throwing, and that's his technique that makes the ball go as far as it does with as much accuracy as it does, is it really an issue? Has it led to injury before?

I think it has more to do with the time it takes to wind up.  The fewer moving parts in a throwing motion, the fewer things to worry about and the less time it usually takes.  Byron Leftwich being the best example of this as he would basically drop the ball to his hip as part of his throwing motion.  

And the less time a throwing motion takes, the less time defenders have to react.  

It might not have mattered in college, but maybe it will in the NFL.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

I think it has more to do with the time it takes to wind up.  The fewer moving parts in a throwing motion, the fewer things to worry about and the less time it usually takes.  Byron Leftwich being the best example of this as he would basically drop the ball to his hip as part of his throwing motion.  

And the less time a throwing motion takes, the less time defenders have to react.  

It might not have mattered in college, but maybe it will in the NFL.

If it's a fundamental technique flaw, would this not have dropped him down the rounds? 

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

If it's a fundamental technique flaw, would this not have dropped him down the rounds? 

I wouldn't call it a fundamental technique flaw.  I mean, its certainly no worse than Rivers' throwing motion.  I'd say its more something to finetune.