Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

VanS

On 7/23/2021 at 5:25 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

If it's a fundamental technique flaw, would this not have dropped him down the rounds? 

It may have dropped him out of the top 10...which few foresaw. If there is a QB in the NFL who’s throwing mechanics will result in Tommy John surgery...it’s him. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2021 at 1:16 PM, Heinz D. said:

A lot of us folks over in Bears country are speculating this is the main reason it sounds like Dalton is going to be the Day One starter (most likely, anyway). Nagy and DeFilipio are trying to fix, or minimize, Fields' elbow thing. 

I was describing that chicken wing high elbow flaw on this site months ago, long before the draft, in relation to Justin Fields. Maybe it was so glaring because I lived in Las Vegas for 24 years as a sports bettor. We made tons of man to man bets. Consequently you had to learn mechanics in every sport and be able to recognize key flaws almost immediately.

The mainstream media remains very inept in that regard. Fields' elbow issues were always obvious and should have been spotlighted as soon as he became a starter at Ohio State. Instead the only guy who described and depicted properly was Dan Orlovsky, just a few days before the draft.

The Michael Vick comparison isn't bad. I prefer Cam Newton and recent Carson Wentz. Both developed the high locked chicken wing elbow and therefore very little ability to vary pace and loft on midrange throws. That is the range most impacted. Guys with properly tucked low elbows can smoothly alter trajectory based on evolving needs of the play. Chicken wing guys are stuck with mindless darts only. And generally they become more pronounced and desperate once the quarterback senses the limited arsenal. Newton became wind up and wing it and so has Wentz to lesser degree.

Shorter and longer throws aren't effected nearly as much by the elbow issues.

The good news for Fields -- as I emphasized months ago -- is that his chicken wing is not nearly as rigid and apparently unfixable as others named. I doubt he ever heard about it until the draft process. I think it can be gradually fixed by sharp patient coaches. Also the chicken wing is only fatal for a pocket type. Those guys rely on midrange darts all the time. Newton was always going to suffer once his escapability lessened and he became more reliant on pocket throws.

Fields, on the other hand, can create his way out of plays in which his primary weakness would be front and center. It is the reason I posted on Dolphin forums that I wouldn't mind pairing Tua with Fields and let them battle it out. A little wide receiver sounds cute during the offseason when everything blends and you fool youself into chess piece equality. Then the real world returns and gulp the quarterback position is all that matters. It would have been a fascinating duel between Tua with great mechanics but perhaps not the equal of the league in raw ability, and Fields many standard deviations above the league in raw ability but with shaky throwing mechanics.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

I was describing that chicken wing high elbow flaw on this site months ago, long before the draft, in relation to Justin Fields. Maybe it was so glaring because I lived in Las Vegas for 24 years as a sports bettor. We made tons of man to man bets. Consequently you had to learn mechanics in every sport and be able to recognize key flaws almost immediately.

The mainstream media remains very inept in that regard. Fields' elbow issues were always obvious and should have been spotlighted as soon as he became a starter at Ohio State. Instead the only guy who described and depicted properly was Dan Orlovsky, just a few days before the draft.

The Michael Vick comparison isn't bad. I prefer Cam Newton and recent Carson Wentz. Both developed the high locked chicken wing elbow and therefore very little ability to vary pace and loft on midrange throws. That is the range most impacted. Guys with properly tucked low elbows can smoothly alter trajectory based on evolving needs of the play. Chicken wing guys are stuck with mindless darts only. And generally they become more pronounced and desperate once the quarterback senses the limited arsenal. Newton became wind up and wing it and so has Wentz to lesser degree.

Shorter and longer throws aren't effected nearly as much by the elbow issues.

The good news for Fields -- as I emphasized months ago -- is that his chicken wing is not nearly as rigid and apparently unfixable as others named. I doubt he ever heard about it until the draft process. I think it can be gradually fixed by sharp patient coaches. Also the chicken wing is only fatal for a pocket type. Those guys rely on midrange darts all the time. Newton was always going to suffer once his escapability lessened and he became more reliant on pocket throws.

Fields, on the other hand, can create his way out of plays in which his primary weakness would be front and center. It is the reason I posted on Dolphin forums that I wouldn't mind pairing Tua with Fields and let them battle it out. A little wide receiver sounds cute during the offseason when everything blends and you fool youself into chess piece equality. Then the real world returns and gulp the quarterback position is all that matters. It would have been a fascinating duel between Tua with great mechanics but perhaps not the equal of the league in raw ability, and Fields many standard deviations above the league in raw ability but with shaky throwing mechanics.

I don't think Field's throwing motion is a huge deal, obviously he throws much better on the move and in motion rolling out of the pocket.  In the pocket he does not always seem comfortable and might not have perfect mechanics.  Either way he is a damn threat and is going to be very hard to deal with.

Just considering his improvement from his freshman year at Georgia where it looked like he could barely complete a pass and might have to change positions, to next year looking great and even in a pandemic year last season looked great against some big time competition.  So he was never this great natural passer from the get go.

If a coach wants to correct some of his pocket throwing issues they could, it is not like Phillip Rivers or something with an odd release like that, mind you he is a Hall of Fame QB with that release so clearly was not a big deal for him.  As long as fields processes the game correctly he will be fine, but yes in the pocket with that elbow stuff and release he could get hit and stripped pretty easy or hurt easier.

Off platform throws he does ok at rolling left to right but no does not have this trick shot under hand switch angle throw some other great QBs do.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Awsi Dooger said:

And it's already improving, as is the quickness of his release. 

• Like 2