Jump to content

Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Why Adrian Peterson regarded as the 'de-facto prospect' of 2007 over Calvin Johnson? 

I just picked the name that came to mind - Joe Thomas could have just as easily been said.

(Many moons ago, my SN here used to be APeterson_Texan...)

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ET80 said:

No, that's not what I'm saying. I'm saying that he's the greatest prospect I've seen. It just so happens he's also the most valuable, but that's not exclusive to this discussion.

Ultimately, I do think this as fact. It's not a wide difference (if Saquan grades as a 99, Lawrence grades at a 99.1 - the difference is miniscule at best, but it exists). Rounding up or down on that figure is subjective, and really a waste of time.

Well then I would disagree.  I like Trevor Lawrence a lot but there is too much uncertainty at the QB position compared to other positions like RB, DE, and CB.

I would rate Saquon Barkley, Myles Garrett, and Derek Stingley Jr. as the best prospects I've seen in recent years.  They are the only ones I was sure were future Hall of Famers as prospects.  I'm not as sure about Trevor Lawrence being a surefire Hall of Famer. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ummm Peyton Manning, Sean Taylor, Julius Peppers, Larry Fitzgerald, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Luke Kuechly  Maurkice Pouncey, Vince Wilfork, Earl Thomas etc were about as cannot miss as you can get from their positions.  

 

 

I wasn't following the draft as closely back then.  I've only really been watching prospects in college closely for the last 4-5 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Ummm Peyton Manning, Sean Taylor, Julius Peppers, Larry Fitzgerald, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Luke Kuechly  Maurkice Pouncey, Vince Wilfork, Earl Thomas etc were about as cannot miss as you can get from their positions.  

 

 

Although, Eric Berry was even more can't miss than Earl that year.  Earl wasn't near the prospect as Berry.  And then ACL, cancer, and Achilles...if he had stayed healthy, I fully believe Berry would have been a HOFer.

The rest except for maybe Pouncey I have zero issue with.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I'd add Quentin Nelson to that list of sure fire prospects.  There is a reason a guard went top 10, and he was an immediate all pro.

*Chance Warmack has entered the chat*

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VanS said:

I'm not as sure about Trevor Lawrence being a surefire Hall of Famer. 

And you and I will disagree, which is fine. I'm certain Lawrence will get in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Although, Eric Berry was even more can't miss than Earl that year.  Earl wasn't near the prospect as Berry.  And then ACL, cancer, and Achilles...if he had stayed healthy, I fully believe Berry would have been a HOFer.

The rest except for maybe Pouncey I have zero issue with.

Eric Berry is the best college safety I ever saw and one of the best defensive players.  I thought he as would be an Ed Reed level player in the NFL.  Even before the injuries he was a disappointment to me in the NFL cause he didn't reach the lofty standards I set for him. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Although, Eric Berry was even more can't miss than Earl that year.  Earl wasn't near the prospect as Berry.  And then ACL, cancer, and Achilles...if he had stayed healthy, I fully believe Berry would have been a HOFer.

The rest except for maybe Pouncey I have zero issue with.

True I forgot about him, I did have Ed Reed rated higher than Eric Berry though.  Berry I agree was outstanding defensive back in college, but more of a FS like Reed who had range, Earl had more toughness than the likes of Berry and Reed and better as a forceful tackler.  In that draft class I had him right there with Berry but did have them at two different positions as a safety.

Pouncey, really both of those brothers to me but Maurkice for sure was an out of this world center prospect who had it all I feel.  Has HOF potential and is a 8 time pro bowler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

*Chance Warmack has entered the chat*

See, Chance Warmack was a sad case of overhyping and people ignoring red flags that were there.  Warmack had good tape, but tape isn't everything, especially on the offensive line.  If you watched enough of it, you would see him lose reps, and more often than he should to be the god-tier OG prospect he was touted as, but those got little attention because he was on a stacked Bama team, and those losses rarely had any consequences.  He might get beat by a DL, but the ball was already past the LOS by that time.

Furthermore, he was propped between DJ Fluker and Barrett Jones, who were both also excellent players.

And lastly, the RBs he blocked for were Trent Richardson, who broke half the tackles that came his way, and TJ Yeldon, who was pretty beasty himself.

The thing that should have been the nail in his coffin as a prospect was the combine.  He didn't look bad in the drills, IIRC, but he didn't show much athleticism.  In fact, he was one of the slowest guards that tested.  And if you're a guard without elite, or at the very least, above average athleticism, you're not a top prospect.  Even without the benefit of hindsight, selecting him in the top 10 was a stupid move.

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

*Jonathan Cooper has entered the chat*

OK, now he actually got me.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2020 at 11:02 AM, Danger said:

Overrated? Yes. Terrible? No.

Sincerely an Eagles fan who dislikes McNabb.

I was going to write literally the same exact words. Except for the line about being an Eagles fan of course.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, VanS said:

Eric Berry is the best college safety I ever saw and one of the best defensive players.  I thought he as would be an Ed Reed level player in the NFL.  Even before the injuries he was a disappointment to me in the NFL cause he didn't reach the lofty standards I set for him. 

 

Then you didn't watch him in KC.  He was a 3 time first team All-Pro.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

True I forgot about him, I did have Ed Reed rated higher than Eric Berry though.  Berry I agree was outstanding defensive back in college, but more of a FS like Reed who had range, Earl had more toughness than the likes of Berry and Reed and better as a forceful tackler.  In that draft class I had him right there with Berry but did have them at two different positions as a safety.

Pouncey, really both of those brothers to me but Maurkice for sure was an out of this world center prospect who had it all I feel.  Has HOF potential and is a 8 time pro bowler.

I strongly disagree with Thomas having more toughness or being a more forceful tackler.  Berry was more of a Jamal Adams type(but better in man and deep coverage than Adams) while Earl more the Ed Reed type who excelled on the back end but could come up and make plays.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting back to Trey.....

On 5/3/2020 at 12:43 PM, Tetsujin said:

Lance didn't play against a single FBS team last season.

Oregon Week 1 will be the only FBS opponent this coming season. That game alone will probably determine how fast the hype train begins.

Interesting that Oregon follows that game up with Justin Fields coming to town the next week. Nice common opponent to compare the two in successive weeks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Getting back to Trey.....

Interesting that Oregon follows that game up with Justin Fields coming to town the next week. Nice common opponent to compare the two in successive weeks.

Our defense is going to be a really solid test for both (as well as the opposite direction). 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Then you didn't watch him in KC.  He was a 3 time first team All-Pro.

I strongly disagree with Thomas having more toughness or being a more forceful tackler.  Berry was more of a Jamal Adams type(but better in man and deep coverage than Adams) while Earl more the Ed Reed type who excelled on the back end but could come up and make plays.

So what.  Earl Thomas was a 3 time first team All-Pro as well, was also a 7 time Pro bowler and Super bowl champion.  To me Earl Thomas was more physical in college and in the NFL.  Berry was physical but clearly Earl Thomas's body could take it, he missed far less games in his career than Berry did.  Only one season did Thomas miss significant game action, Berry was like every two years he would miss almost a full season.  To me being physical is also about playing and being out there, physically holding up and Berry simply never did that.   Great player no doubt and as a prospect coming out of college was one of the best at his position in the last 20 years, but do not give me this Earl Thomas is not physical as a safety bull.  Earl has great range no doubt but he did play on a team with Kam Chancellor, so you saying Kam was the deep safety in that regard?  No, but if given the chance to be more of a SS type Earl could have done it.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...