"So bad it's good/funny" movies?

KManX89

On 5/3/2020 at 7:01 PM, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Starship Troopers is the obvious answer. 

I love Starship Troopers. As someone who was shown every recruiting video under the sun in college (Which @Ragnarok will attest to, felt like every week we got a new one during knob year), Starship Troopers was like a version of all of them combined. 

Edited by scar988
  • Like 1

Yeah, Starship Troopers is another in a long list of satire that nobody understands or realizes is satire, so therefore gets judged because people don't understand what they're actually watching. 

Anybody who calls that a bad movie is just bad. 

So many movies have failed because people didn't understand what they were getting into. 

Last Action Hero is a great example of this.  Just ten years ago, it had an IMDB rating of 5.3.  It was considered a wreck.  Its rating is now up to 6.4 there as people start appreciating it for what it was.  It's literally the best action satire made. 

And @Malfatron is right.  Snakes on a Plane, Sharknado, all of these movies do not belong in this discussion.  They were meant to be bad.  Samuel L. Jackson threatened to back out of Snakes on a Plane when they tried to change the title.  He knew what they were trying to do.  They were trying to make a "bad" movie.  It failed at being enjoyably bad because they tried to make it enjoyably bad.  The best bad movies are the ones where the director thinks they made a masterpiece.  Anyone reading this thread should watch the documentary on Trolls 2.  I think it's called The Best Worst Movie.  Just like Tommy W., the director thinks that its popularity is because it's a good movie.  Nukie is, in my opinion, the best of these.  Malf, you REALLY have to watch Nukie.  It's gloriously horrifically terribly bad. 

• Like 1

Dracula 3000 fits this category, too.  It is the most WTF, non-conforming film devoid of any direction whatsoever and it plays like a 13-year old boy's script.  It's literally like a 13 year old kid watched Bram Stoker's Dracula and Event Horizon and tried watching Showgirls on Cinemax, but his parents were home and he was paranoid he would get caught so he kept switching the channel.  Oh, and they also watched Under Siege and saw the part where Erika Eleniak came out of the cake. 

This is the ending:

• 1 year later...
On 5/3/2020 at 11:17 AM, JohnChimpo said:

I just finished watching Die Another Day, and it definitely fits this thread. It was the only Pierce Brosnan Bond movie I had never watched. I think I skipped it because I knew it was going to be bad. They progressively went downhill after Goldeneye and then blew it up after this one, going in a totally different direction with the Daniel Craig movies. However, the badness of this one was just what I was in the mood for. It seemed like every other line was a bad pun, and the plot was ridiculous, even for a Bond movie. Even Brosnan himself laughed hysterically as he recalled a particularly stupid scene in a Bond documentary I watched recently.

But hey, Halle Berry in her prime...

Wait a minute.  Pierce Brosnan was in that movie too?  

halle berry GIFjames bond black celebrities GIFhalle berry w GIF

Learn new things every day.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...