Antonio Brown

brushmyhair

25 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Despite everything, I am heartbroken he will never likely get in or finish his career as an all time great Steeler.

I was so excited to see him become one of the best WRs ever.     He was up there with Troy Polamalu as my favorite Steelers player ever, and I was wait to see him shatter all the Steelers records and some NFL records.

And it was so sudden too.  I mean, sure, there were warning signs, but nothing that made me believe that he would go from simply being a diva WR to a complete nutcase who was out of football in the course of one year.

Just so sad.     I hope he gets his life back on track, at least for his kids' sake.    

I could perhaps see him playing again in 2021, but its a longshot.    He is on the wrong side of 30 and most teams arent going to take the risk and the unwanted attention they will get, especially if things go south.   

If he goes to the Ravens like some reports say is in the realm of possibility, Ravens vs Steelers at Heinz will be must see, and hopefully it's a later game when his suspension is over and people are allowed back into stadiums after COVID-19. Those may be the loudest boos in NFL History. That needs to be week 14 at the very least

5 minutes ago, brushmyhair said:

If he goes to the Ravens like some reports say is in the realm of possibility, Ravens vs Steelers at Heinz will be must see, and hopefully it's a later game when his suspension is over and people are allowed back into stadiums after COVID-19. Those may be the loudest boos in NFL History. That needs to be week 14 at the very least

Not impossible, but doubtful.   I dont think they would want to take the chance of AB having any kind of negative influence on LJ or Marquise Brown.     

The Ravens have too much to lose IMO to take a chance on Brown....but stranger things have happened.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Not impossible, but doubtful.   I dont think they would want to take the chance of AB having any kind of negative influence on LJ or Marquise Brown.     

The Ravens have too much to lose IMO to take a chance on Brown....but stranger things have happened.  

The thing is, Lamar and Hollywood are lobbying the team to sign him. Marquise Brown is his cousin after all. 

1 minute ago, brushmyhair said:

The thing is, Lamar and Hollywood are lobbying the team to sign him. Marquise Brown is his cousin after all. 

I get that, but that doesn't make it a good idea.

Just now, August4th said:

AB in a Ravens uniform playing at Heinz field on SNF would be must watch TV. just hope fans would be allowed to attend by then lol

Thats why I'd love for that game to be week 14 or later. AB served his most likely 6 game suspension, and I would think by week 14, fans would be allowed to return to the stadiums by then

3 hours ago, RamblinMan99 said:

Mark Gastineau is a good example to use since he was one of the most talented edge rushers in NFL history, yet nobody liked him for his immaturity and off-field antics.  

He was also a scab during the strike. So there's that.

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

Rodgers should demand they sign him or he'll hold out. 

big-bang-theory-penny-WHAT-gif.gif

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

Aaron should force the packers hand here. One thing GB would rather do less than sign a WR is throw Jordan Love to the wolves in 2020

What are you basing that on? And didn't they just sign a WR? 

1 hour ago, Heinz D. said:

He was also a scab during the strike. So there's that.

big-bang-theory-penny-WHAT-gif.gif

What are you basing that on? And didn't they just sign a WR? 

They had plenty of picks, plenty of chances to draft a WR. Passed on KJ Hill every time they had a pick while he was available, ignored their largest need during the draft, took 2 consecutive offensive linemen. I need evidence that they pursued Quartney Davis and Kalija Lipscomb when they were UDFA's for me to even think they cared about addressing the need. 

Edited by brushmyhair

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

No Super Bowls, not in the top 20 in Receptions, Yards or TDs. He was pacing towards these values, but he shot himself in the foot multiple times before getting a decent shot.

He's 100% not getting in. 

7 Pro Bowls, 4 First teams, 2X receptions leader.  He didn't have to pace towards anything.  He was already there.  

The dude had 80 TDs in just 8 seasons!  You obviously don't realize that it really doesn't matter how long they play for.  It depends on what they accomplished in the time that they played in the league.  

What you're trying to say is that he wasn't in the league long enough, and that's just asinine.  

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

OJ was already in, so why you bring up rescinding is beyond me. AB is not in, so this holds no bearing to this discussion at all. OJ was a HoF once his transgressions took center stage, AB wasn't.

Exactly the point I was making, but it went right over your head.  

OJ Simpson murdered a guy and they kept him in the HoF.  AB has multiple counts of sexual assault and he could still get in, because that's just not the HoF's priority.  

If he didn't, that would be a big double standard.  

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

He had a good run for about 3-5 years, but he was NEVER HoF material. His efforts were quickly overshadowed by superior players such as Bruce Smith, Chris Doleman, Reggie White, etc.

He was the Shawn Alexander of DEs from that time; Very good, but largely forgettable when compared to Marshall Faulk, Ladanian Tomlinson, etc.

This is where it's basically proven that you haven't watched any football at all before 1990.  

Mark Gastineau was the s*** in the 1980s for going out and sacking the QB 22 times in a season.  

He had 20 sacks in 1981, and it was so unheard of at the time, the NFL had to start keeping sacks as a statistic the year after.  

All the guys you mentioned were great too, but Gastineau basically paved the way for them.  

The Shawn Alexander comparison is quite terrible and actually ignorant, because Alexander was a one season wonder.  Gastineau was great for almost all of his very short career in the NFL.  

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

There's a significant difference between what Terrell Owens did (a locker room cancer who was relatively harmless outside of football) and what Antonio Brown did (a locker room cancer who sexually assulted women and threatened them if they tried to come forth to the media). There is also the production piece of it - Owens ended his career in the top 5 of every major WR statistic, grouped with Rice, Fitzgerald and Moss. Brown did not - and is never going to get there.

Yeah again, that's because Terrell Owens was in the league for almost 20 years.  

Antonio Brown wasn't even in the league for 10 complete seasons.  

That's the part of the argument you're being intentionally blind from seeing.  Brown's numbers and work ethic prove that he would have beaten most of them if he would have played for the time they did.  

So, what you're saying is irrelevant. 

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

But if the "pure talent" kicks themselves out of the conversation before they get into it, it's a moot point. Antonio Brown had a run as the best WR in football, maybe a 5-6 year run. But, that's not long enough to justify a HoF career.

This here is just laughable. 

There are so many other players that had serious off the field problems and still got into the HoF strictly for their talent.  Lawrence Taylor was one of them.  Chris Carter was too.  

5 hours ago, ET80 said:

Antonio Brown had a run as the best WR in football, maybe a 5-6 year run. But, that's not long enough to justify a HoF career.

Dude, to dominate the entire professional league at that position for 5-6 years is a long time.  

It's actually pretentious for you to argue otherwise.  You obviously don't understand how difficult that is to do.  

That's exactly why there's a general consensus that Luke Kuechly is going to be in the Hall of Fame.  

Why? Because he was absolutely dominant at his position even though he only played in the league for 8 seasons.  

That's even less time than AB played.  

Dude, all your arguments are just flat out terrible.  

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

7 Pro Bowls, 4 First teams, 2X receptions leader.  He didn't have to pace towards anything.  He was already there

Those aren't numbers that get anyone in. Pro Bowls are irrelevant because everyone skips out nowadays, so that's nothing. All Pros are OK, but his counterparts (Julio Jones, DeAndre Hopkins) are about to eclipse those numbers, so it won't measure against his counterparts. No real standards were set when he led the league in receptions, unlike someone like Michael Thomas who set the single season reception record.

Compared to his counterparts (who he'll ultimately be judged against) he's not standing out. This isn't the hall of very good. (And this isn't going into the off the field issues).

Exactly the point I was making, but it went right over your head.  

No, I understand completely. You (once again) missed the concept. Kicking someone out is a different action than letting someone in. This is basic english you're not seeming to understand. 

This is where it's basically proven that you haven't watched any football at all before 1990

I'm very well aware of the NY Sack Exchange and Gastineau - put up some good numbers for a few years, came into work during a strike (which is a huge knock against him) took up boxing for some strange egotistical reason, had several rumors of steroid use back when he played...

He had 20 sacks in 1981, and it was so unheard of at the time, the NFL had to start keeping sacks as a statistic the year after.  

So, you never heard of Deacon Jones. Interesting.

All the guys you mentioned were great too, but Gastineau basically paved the way for them.

So, you never heard of Deacon Jones. Fascinating.

The Shawn Alexander comparison is quite terrible and actually ignorant, because Alexander was a one season wonder.  Gastineau was great for almost all of his very short career in the NFL.  

Emphasis on the bold. You don't get into Canton on short careers. Barry Sanders did, but that's the exception, not the rule. (He was also top 5 in career rushing yards when he retired, so there were numbers to justify his position).

Also - Alexander had FIVE great seasons, Gastineau had two. So, the comparison is bad... Alexander was better in comparison to his peers (87 TDs in a 5 season span, more than AB in 8 seasons...)

Brown's numbers and work ethic prove that he would have beaten most of them if he would have played for the time they did.  

... but he didn't. The HoF isn't for what you could have done, it's for what you did

I think I've been pretty clear that Brown was heading in that direction before he took on his heel turn. Now, those numbers he needs won't be achievable.

There are so many other players that had serious off the field problems and still got into the HoF strictly for their talent.  Lawrence Taylor was one of them.  Chris Carter was too.  

I'm sure if there was social media back then, we'd be talking differently about these two guys and the narrative wouldn't be what we see now (hell, you could add Michael Irvin to that list too). You're looking in a vacuum when making this argument, completely tone deaf to how Antonio Brown is being viewed right now and how those that vote for him will view him. 

(You're also conveniently forgetting that both Taylor and Carter have the career numbers to back up their nominations. Antonio Brown doesn't, despite being "on pace" once upon a time...)

Dude, to dominate the entire professional league at that position for 5-6 years is a long time.  

Dominate is a very strong word, one that wouldn't apply to Antonio Brown's peak. Dominate means you're winning championships (nope for AB) or setting records (nope for AB). 

Many successfully argued that Julio Jones was the better WR in that time. Odell Beckham and DeAndre Hopkins got into that discussion, too. When I think of dominant, I think JJ Watt in 2014, Aaron Donald in 2018, Tom Brady/Randy Moss in 2007, Pat Mahomes in 2018 - transcendent seasons where single season marks were in danger of falling (or actually fell).

To my knowledge, AB never got there. He had some great seasons, elite seasons - but he falls short of dominance. (Mostly when Big Ben missed games, it seems...)

Dude, all your arguments are just flat out terrible. 

Yes... I'm the one with the terrible arguments. xD

• Like 4