FFNBA Finals: Champ vs Finneas

amac

Vote for which team you think would win in a playoff series by posting in the thread. Provide an explanation if you can. Assume all players healthy

2. @FinneasGage (thaa bigg boyys)

thaa bigg boyys

HC: Gregg Popovich

1: Kemba Walker | Derrick Rose
2: Khris Middleton | Bogdan Bogdanović | Kendrick Nunn
3: Bojan Bogdanović | Doug McDermott | Rodney Hood
4: Anthony Davis | Nemanja Bjelica
5: Domantas Sabonis | Steven Adams

vs

5. @champ11 (Nuggets)

Denver Nuggets

G: Stephen Curry // Dante DiVincenzo 

G: Chris Paul // Will Barton // Jordan Clarkson

F: OG Anunoby // Matisse Thybulle

F: Robert Covington // Davis Bertans // Larry Nance Jr

C: Bam Adebayo // Derrick Favors

HC: Mike D'antoni

Playoff Rotation:

Stephen Curry (38) // Chris Paul (10)

Chris Paul (24) // Will Barton (6) // Dante DiVincenzo (18)

OG Anunoby (28) // Will Barton (20)

Robert Covington (34) // Davis Bertans (14)

Bam Adebayo (36) // Derrick Favors (12) 

I'll go Finneas. Champ has the edge defensively but I like FG's plethora of scoring options in comparison to champ here. I also think Pop would kill with this team

Edited by amac

My guy finneas did an amazing job of building his team. I'm not really sure where he even picked but top to bottom I think he might have the most talented team. 1-5 he pretty easily has the most talented starting 5 in this thing I believe. 

I think if my team were to win this theoretical series it just comes back to the top end guys. I have Steph Curry and Chris Paul, two top 5 point guards of all time, running the show down the stretch while Finn has Walker/Middleton as the lead playmakers. I guess Sabonis could be that guy too, but honestly Sabonis and Anthony Davis are a bit of a clunky fit on the offensive end. Sabonis had an all-star year operating from the elbow like a Jokic-lite - I don't think that works as well with AD in the mix. Sabonis wouldn't be the Sabonis we saw this year on this team. 

The thing about Anthony Davis is he isn't a guy that is great at creating for himself. That's why there simply wasn't much success in NO. He's reliant on the playmaking around him. I think Kemba/Middleton/Bojan could do a pretty good job creating for AD, but they aren't superstar talents. It probably comes back to how much you believe in Kemba/Middleton/Davis as playoff go-to type of talents. Paul and Curry have proven themselves to be great playoff players and those guys haven't yet. Middleton has had two really good postseasons in a row, though. 

I definitely feel like I have the defensive players to hang with any team in this. I wanted Favors as my backup big because both he and Adebayo are comfortable playing with other bigs (Gobert in Utah and stretch 5s in Miami) so I think I would be fine playing those guys big minutes with Davis at the four. Favors and Adebayo are great matchups vs both Sabonis and Davis. I mean as far as a good matchup against AD can go. Matisse Thybulle was one of my later picks and not in my original rotation, but he is already one of the elite perimeter defenders in the league and another guy I could throw at Kemba/Khris. I mean really I only have one player in my rotation that isn't good to very good on defense in Bertans and he is a bit of a luxury. Wouldn't need to play if he was getting killed. But definitely would want to sneak as many Bertans minutes in as possible because the shooting with him and Curry would be dumb. 

I think as far as my scoring goes - Will Barton and Dante are underrated creators (and players in general). This team would have really good spacing with whoever is on the floor and I think both of those guys can be your 3rd or 4th option on a very good team. Chris Paul was the best clutch scorer in the NBA this season. And Steph Curry would be the best player on the floor. The team has really reliable shooting in general and players that you know play winning basketball. 

Two of the best coaches of all time. I never really take coaches into account in these things, tbh. Pop is WASHED! Losing to the Nuggets last year? Fraud. 

Great matchup for sure 

Edited by champ11

18 hours ago, resilient part 2 said:

The answer to this may be, do you trust Steph to make the BIG shot.. down by one? My memory is fuzzy but I don't recall Steph ever being in that situation. Of course if the Big Boys are down by ne they haven't had a player in that position either.. 

soo... I don't know yet..

I don't think Steph has had that signature game winner in the finals but he's had plenty of massive playoff games. He scored 33 in the closeout game against Houston last season after KD went down and that was a pretty big moment. Steph's playoff resume is pretty great but obviously doesn't have that classic finals moment