Hypothetical Top 2 2021 Draft Order Scenario. Jacksonville and Chicago

brushmyhair

Jacksonville picks 1st

Chicago picks 2nd

Does Lawrence pull an Eli to end up in Chicago over Jacksonville. My guess is no. But if he tried, if the events with Yannick Ngokue have taught us anything, Jacksonville would disregard a stunt like that immediately and take him anyway. It's not like Lawrence would give up playing football because he wanted to play for the Bears and not the Jaguars. He'd play football because he loves the game. Plus Jacksonville is close enough to home for him anyway. Even though Lawrence would be a great draw for the Bears. They've been in QB Purgatory for who knows how long. But I'm sure Justin Fields would be great for the Bears as well

Edited by brushmyhair

I don’t get the obsession with people pushing the “Pull an Eli” narrative on top QB prospects. It’s happened once, in 2003, nearly 20 years ago. Why do we talk about this like it’s the norm? 

Edited by SmittyBacall
  • Like 10

3 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don’t get the obsession with people pushing the “Pull an Eli” on top QB prospects. It’s happened once, in 2003, nearly 20 years ago. Why do we talk about this like it’s the norm? 

Because ESPN and other hacks like to circle-jerk the "What if the top pick in the draft, a QB, decides he doesn't want to go to that worst-in-the-league-at-the-moment-in-order-to-have-earned-pick-1-and-thus-an-easy-target-for-rejection-speculation-drama team?"

It's just a really solid go-to to stir things up. Years where a small market has number one are their favorite. They feasted this year on Joe Burrow Cincinnati stuff.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I don’t get the obsession with people pushing the “Pull an Eli” narrative on top QB prospects. It’s happened once, in 2003, nearly 20 years ago. Why do we talk about this like it’s the norm? 

Elway did it too

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Because ESPN and other hacks like to circle-jerk the "What if the top pick in the draft, a QB, decides he doesn't want to go to that worst-in-the-league-at-the-moment-in-order-to-have-earned-pick-1-and-thus-an-easy-target-for-rejection-speculation-drama team?"

It's just a really solid go-to to stir things up. Years where a small market has number one are their favorite. They feasted this year on Joe Burrow Cincinnati stuff.

I don't think the smaller vs bigger market stuff would make Lawrence prefer Chicago over Jacksonville, I think if anything, it'd be the chaotic front office and coaching staff that could sway him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

I don't think the smaller vs bigger market stuff would make Lawrence prefer Chicago over Jacksonville, I think if anything, it'd be the chaotic front office and coaching staff that could sway him. 

I’m sure a lot of prospects have preferences but that’s not how the draft works. 

1 hour ago, brushmyhair said:

Elway did it too

Another 20 years before Eli (1983 draft). Start this thread in 2023 to fulfill the prophecy. 

Don’t mean to rain on your parade, it’s just the Burrow thing this offseason was needlessly stressful. 

• Like 5

16 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

I’m sure a lot of prospects have preferences but that’s not how the draft works. 

Another 20 years before Eli (1983 draft). Start this thread in 2023 to fulfill the prophecy. 

Don’t mean to rain on your parade, it’s just the Burrow thing this offseason was needlessly stressful. 

i don't think anyone bought that burrow report. They ignored the fact that the team picking 1st is in his home state till he shut down the rumors. Don't get me wrong, I don't like that spoiled Eli Elway behavior. One thing I hope, If Arch Manning is the real deal, I hope to god the Chargers get the 1st pick and this time tell Archie to piss off. That family needs to be humbled. The 1 team Eli never defeated was the Chargers, LOL. I'm adamantly against players doing that, If you don't like the draft order, return for your senior season. 

32 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It was most definitely a thing. I had to defend it on here numerous times before he cleared the rumours at the combine.

I know it was a thing. I'm surprised people would believe he'd reject playing for his home state team.

17 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Kyle McCord should pull an Eli