Cam Newton not willing to sign as a backup.

RamblinMan99

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

https://twitter.com/josephperson/status/1256951677246111746?s=20

He really doesn't have a choice, even though he thinks he does.  

New England's needs a QB, but he's not the right QB for them.  

Washington has two QBs who are questionable, but they'll probably start one of them before they would ever make an offer to Cam Newton.  

Both  Jacksonville and Denver could use him, but he'd most likely be a backup on either club.  

The most sensible team where Cam Newton could fill a backup role would be Seattle.  Russel Wilson's going to need a backup who can acclimate to his offense, and Cam's that kind of dude.  

But, forget about a starting job.  

The Redskins are in for a development year.  They are going to see what Haskins has, and in my mind, two things will happen.  Door one, Haskins shows improvement on last year, enough to make the new coaches comfortable moving forward with him.  Door two, Haskins is so bad, it puts us in the drivers seat for Trevor Lawrence.  

Rivera hired Scott Turner to install his offense from last year, and that's why they brought Kyle Allen over.  Allen knows the offense, and can start if Haskins is having issues getting comfortable with the offense if the off-season is affected by not being able to have the usual mini-camps and OTAs.  

Newton's best bet is to wait it out until someone gets hurt in training camp.  Someone always gets hurt and a starting job becomes available.  At that point, familiarity in the system or not, Newton becomes their best bet to salvage a season.  

2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Don't see where anything other than confirmation bias would lead someone to believe this is ego-driven.  The guy has battled injuries, particularly as of recent.  What exactly is supposed to be his motivation to sign to a team to jump onboard behind a second string OL (if we safely assume there will be some, if abbreviated version, of a preseason) and risk even further injury if he doesn't have a clear path to starting?  "Won't sign to be a backup" doesn't mean he's demanding a starting job, necessarily.  I'm sure the people that love to pile on top of Cam (for their various reasons) will want to make that assumption because it fits their narrative, but that would be naive at best.

The smartest business move he can make is to sit and wait for a regular starter to get injured - which, again, with a likely abbreviated preseason, is at minimum incrementally more likely to happen than in a normal year.

It's all perception. I find him to be arrogant and egotistical and this, if true, backs that up so I guess that can be confirmation bias. Some people might not feel he's egotistical but that's on them. I get the vibe he is, they don't. Neither group is right or wrong.

I don't disagree he should wait for a starter to go down but he's not a plug n play QB. He's always been fairly overrated to me

Not surprising in the least. He was never signing for pennies on the dollar like Jameis and Dalton. His ego/pride would never allow that.

He will wait for an injury ala Sam Bradford to the Vikings to pop up or sit the entire year and claim he's getting his body 100% Healthy for the 2021 season. 

Cam Newton intentionally choosing to be a backup? You've lost your mind!

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, Fidgit said:

If Cam wants a super cushy backup job, he should go to Seattle. If he wants to start, he should take a year off and let his body heal, Gronk-style.

Cam should take the year off. If his heart is to start why not heal up and wait for next year? There will be half a dozen older QBs who could retire and we will also see a handful of young QBs inevitably fail to meet expectations. 

Not sure what taking a backup job does for Cam at this point other than helping his bank account.

Edited by vikingsrule
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Thats funny because teams aren't willing to sign him as their starter right now

Well to be fair, if Covid wasn't going on and he was able and cleared by a Teams physical,  he would if has his choice of destinations, plural.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

The Redskins are in for a development year.  They are going to see what Haskins has, and in my mind, two things will happen.  Door one, Haskins shows improvement on last year, enough to make the new coaches comfortable moving forward with him.  Door two, Haskins is so bad, it puts us in the drivers seat for Trevor Lawrence

Door #3, your team/Haskins is bad enough to where the Redskins are looking for a new QB in 2021 but are too good to be drafting in the top 5 

Lawrence isn't the only good QB prospect, nor do I think the Redskins will be looking to replace Haskins in 2021, just saying its possible. Y'all should have a pretty solid defense