Tony Romo The Analyst

1ForTheThumb

I wasn't a fan of him on the field, but I have really enjoyed his commentary.

He is so quick to point out things that a high level player sees, and kind of like John Madden, he actually puts it in a perspective that we can understand. He'll say "that's a cover 3, which means..." and then talks about how the game is played around it.

I think he's done a great job for a "rookie" and I hope he stays around. Soooooo much better than Buck & Aikman, but that bar is pretty low.

16 hours ago, lancerman said:

He's horrible. Calling the run or passing route before the play isn't announcing. It's taking a game and providing context to it where the art is. Collinsworth is the best right now because he can call the game and put just enough info behind it to be meaningful and add substance while not being overbearing. 

Romo's just trying to show off how smart he is and it probably means nothing to 90% of the audience 

Except that he just doesn't predict the play, he breaks down plays and why they work.   

We bag on commentators when they don't know what they are talking about, and here we have a guy who's smart enough to recognize a play, call it ahead of time, and explain it to the audience afterwards.    And now he gets criticized for being too smart?  REALLY?

Cognitive dissonance, meet the case example.  

Romo's killing it as a commentator - and I thought he was going to bring absolutely *nothing* to the table, so it's not like I am any fan of his.   But gotta recognize when a guy's doing an amazing job - to me, it's not even close.

And to witness further, he's not just calling plays, he's calling how the game flow is likely to change - CIN's O scored 3 points after the first 25 plays:

@ESPNMark Tony Romo was right on yesterday. He said after the first 25 scripted plays, it would tell the tale. GB adjusted. Cinci didnt.

One of the things that irks me most about watching sport, is all the basic "analysis" that people get paid for. It may come across as hipster, or arrogant, but I much prefer detailed, in-depth analysis. The Why instead of What. Saying "Thomas is elite, he's an elite route runner" does nothing for me. Explain why and what you mean. Show me how he subtly twists his hips to tip the cornerback in the wrong direction. Show me the habits he has which give away his intentions, but that he's changed it for this particular play to wrong-foot the defender. Why is Harrison blitzing? Where's the weakness when he does? Has rodgers spotted it and what changed has he made?

So, rock on Tony! 

17 hours ago, TXsteeler said:

I haven't heard him yet, is there a way to see what teams/commentators do which games all season long?

Networks don't have a pre-determined set lined to each game due to unforeseen changes in the scheduling (ie. flex games, natural disasters, etc). Best you can get is by following their websites.

https://www.cbspressexpress.com/cbs-sports/releases/view?id=48308

http://www.foxsports.com/presspass/latest-news/2017/08/15/fox-sports-unveils-broadcast-teams-2017-nfl-season

It's all based on network contracts(CBS, Fox, etc) and each network has their own set of commentators and one lead crew that are assigned accordingly. CBS hosts all AFC games while Fox hosts all NFC games. Romo is hired by CBS (to separate his bias affiliation to Dallas), although not part of the lead, so he you will see him host some Steelers games this season.

Fortunately, for those of us that enjoy Romo, NBC will be hosting the Superbowl this year and CBS the following. This gives Romo time to get more acclimated and continue to climb the ranks so that hopefully by SB 53 he could be assigned to cover the play-by-play. Which I think would be awesome.

23 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Also going from Phil Simms to Tony Romo is the biggest upgrade I've probably ever witnessed.  It's like going from Joe Buck to Gus Johnson. 

I honestly don't know why the NFL/CBS/Fox doesn't throw all the money they can to bring Gus back..by far my favorite commentator at either level

Love him already, his passion of trying to predict plays strongly resonates

23 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Also going from Phil Simms to Tony Romo is the biggest upgrade I've probably ever witnessed.  It's like going from Joe Buck to Gus Johnson.  I honestly don't know how someone as dumb as Phil Sims was successful as he was in the NFL.  I'm convinced that Sims wouldn't be successful in Today's NFL...

Pretty much

18 hours ago, Malik said:

Negative. COllinsworth has far too many bias and comes into every game with a particular narrative that he thinks the game is going to go by.

90% of the time someone has a problem with Collinsworth and they are pushed on it, it boils down to "he said something negative about my team".

He's great. He might try a little too hard sometimes. But if you know football you shouldn't mind, and if you're casual you can learn something. Too many announcers cater to the casual fan. Tony goes about it like he's a coach in the film room after the game and that's refreshing.

4 hours ago, lancerman said:

90% of the time someone has a problem with Collinsworth and they are pushed on it, it boils down to "he said something negative about my team".

Not really. He brings narratives to games. He doesn't call them based on what's happening instead of what they thought was going to happen in preproduction.

5 hours ago, lancerman said:

Collinsworth bothers me because he pumps PFF during his announcing, and he purposefully calls the game in a way where he can do that. I don't care if he's said something negative about my team. Every announcer has. We've sucked for a decade plus. But I'd rather not have an announcer trying to sell his investments as part of the analysis.

Wouldn't you be annoyed if other announcers started selling their endorsements while announcing? "What a route by Antonio Brown! It was as smooth as a nice, refreshing Pepsi. Man, that Antonio Brown is elite. He's basically the Pepsi of WRs."

He's been great. Very intelligent and insightful. Genuinely passionate about the game. He gets overly excited sometimes and he needs to learn to contain that until it's time. My one big issue is him urging players what to do. There's been a couple times he's told guys "Call time out. Time out. Time out. Time out." He's only 3 games in. He'll learn.

Archived