Tony Romo The Analyst

1ForTheThumb

15 hours ago, Dundalis said:

Pretty sure announcing is for the fans. What people within the announcing business consider bad announcing is irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. Does the announcer provide value to the broadcast and add, rather than subtract from it? If the answer is yes, then he's doing a great job. Having rules, for rules sake is meaningless. In any industry, the guys who are typically regarded as the benchmark, guys who stood out are typically the ones who broke the rules. Something either works or it doesn't. Ain't anymore complicated than that.

Well said. I don't particularly care for announcing anyway. If I see the value in it then that's all that matters. None of us have the right to say what good announcing is. It's refreshing to me because it just shows that we don't know even half of what we think we know. And I've seen Romo do what Collinsworth does. He also offers something different. 

I don't know why people hate on him predicting plays. He's doing it so we can see what he sees, what players are supposed to.

For example the other night, the Packers had 2 WRs stacked with two corners over them. Romo predicts the play before it happens, a run to the right. 

Why? This formation is perfect for the run pass option, and if the corners are back off then it would be a quick WR screen. But he saw the formation, saw the corners, and then told us how he predicted it.

I really like Mayock, but he only does home Eagles pre-season games. I have been really impressed with Romo so far.

I don't care that Romo knows what's gonna happen.  Good for him.  In the middle of Brees' snap count, Romo is frantically yapping while I'm trying to watch the play.  Can't I just watch the play unfold for myself?  Can't you wait until after the play to give your analysis?

It's like watching a movie with one of those people that's so smart and perceptive that they can predict what's gonna happen and what lines the characters are gonna say, but they're sure to let you know right before it happens, right in your ear.  Can't I just enjoy the movie?

He's getting in between me and the game that I'm trying to watch.

But he's new at this though, so maybe he'll tone it down, show a little restraint?  Sometimes less is more.

10 minutes ago, n3bulous said:

I don't care that Romo knows what's gonna happen.  Good for him.  In the middle of Brees' snap count, Romo is frantically yapping while I'm trying to watch the play.  Can't I just watch the play unfold for myself?  Can't you wait until after the play to give your analysis?

It's like watching a movie with one of those people that's so smart and perceptive that they can predict what's gonna happen and what lines the characters are gonna say, but they're sure to let you know right before it happens, right in your ear.  Can't I just enjoy the movie?

He's getting in between me and the game that I'm trying to watch.

But he's new at this though, so maybe he'll tone it down, show a little restraint?  Sometimes less is more.

misread

Commentating in general isnt appealing to me since, as stated, its usually for casual fans.     It really doesnt do anything for me, regardless of WHO it is?

Commentators IMO can only hurt a broadcast....maybe not so much for casual fans who dont know any better, but for diehard fans who know enough about football to know when commentators are clueless or bias.      Casual fans probably liked Phil SImms as a commentator, but most diehard fans couldnt stand the clown.     Same goes for several others.

Basically...as long as a commentators analysis doesnt get in the way of my enjoyment of the game, I dont have a problem with them.

As far as Romo....I havent had an issue with him for the most part, although I do notice he occasionally trips over his words and doesnt always seem to know what to say, but Id rather listen to him than a buffoon like Simms.  

So weird to see people here complaining about him. He’s giving people ideas of what to look for when watching plays, he’s giving reasons and explanations to what’s happening on the field. How is this a bad thing?

Only complaint I have is that he completely mishandled how he reacted to the Adams injury, but that was probably nerves given he’s likely never seen something happen like that from that vantage point.

Archived