Colts decline Malik Hooker’s fifth year option

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

So...bust?

I wouldn’t say bust, he had an injury when he was drafted and missed 14 games in 3 years. We were running single high safety defense under Pagano.  When we hired Eberflus we switched to a cover 2 defense and Hooker isn’t exactly a great fit for that defense. I think the logic is that Julian Blackmon isn’t ready to play right away so keep Hooker for one year for the transition to happen. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/13/2020 at 12:25 AM, PapaShogun said:

So...bust?

What defines a bust?  I'm not a fan of Hooker, I was not a fan when the Colts drafted him (Personal opinion is that you don't draft a 1 year starter in the top 20)  But he hasn't been bad for the Colts, just not a #15 pick.  I think the Colts will not sign him after this year and he will go to another team and have a good career.  But I don't think he will ever be considered great.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

What defines a bust?  I'm not a fan of Hooker, I was not a fan when the Colts drafted him (Personal opinion is that you don't draft a 1 year starter in the top 20)  But he hasn't been bad for the Colts, just not a #15 pick.  I think the Colts will not sign him after this year and he will go to another team and have a good career.  But I don't think he will ever be considered great.

Fans are funny that way. I have never been a coach, but I doubt at the NFL level that coaches look out at practice and think...."Ok...that guy was a third rounder, and that guy was a first. I'll demand more out of him". 

After the draft, you either perform, or show the potential for growth....or you are replaced. The idea that if a player turns out to be average (not saying that Hooker is or isn't), then because he was a first rounder, he needs to be moved on from. WTH? Teams are littered with average to solid players that either outplayed or underplayed their draft position. 

1 hour ago, Warhorse said:

Fans are funny that way. I have never been a coach, but I doubt at the NFL level that coaches look out at practice and think...."Ok...that guy was a third rounder, and that guy was a first. I'll demand more out of him". 

After the draft, you either perform, or show the potential for growth....or you are replaced. The idea that if a player turns out to be average (not saying that Hooker is or isn't), then because he was a first rounder, he needs to be moved on from. WTH? Teams are littered with average to solid players that either outplayed or underplayed their draft position. 

Yeah, I remember a story from when the Colts drafted Bethea... after a few days on the field, Dungy said he was talking with the DC at the time (Meeks if I remember correctly) and the conversation was basically... we found a player in Bethea.  Not, we got a steal in the 6th round or anything, just that they have a football player.

• Like 1

Someone brought up that if the Colts had picked up his option then any talks for extensions would revolve around the 5yr option # ($6.9M/yr or more).

There is also the potential that if the 2020 season is played in front of empty stadiums that the lost revenue could prevent an increase in salary cap for 2021. Also the salary cap could actually drop and teams would have to make cuts to stay under. 

I don’t know if the Colts had this in mind when they decided to only sign Rivers to a one year deal. Having  Rivers, Brissett and Hooker come off the books after the 2020 season allows a lot of leeway in the event that happens. I think this might also hamper getting an extension done for the likes of Hilton, Kelly and (maybe) Mack 

1 hour ago, Wyld Stallyns said:

Someone brought up that if the Colts had picked up his option then any talks for extensions would revolve around the 5yr option # ($6.9M/yr or more).

There is also the potential that if the 2020 season is played in front of empty stadiums that the lost revenue could prevent an increase in salary cap for 2021. Also the salary cap could actually drop and teams would have to make cuts to stay under. 

I don’t know if the Colts had this in mind when they decided to only sign Rivers to a one year deal. Having  Rivers, Brissett and Hooker come off the books after the 2020 season allows a lot of leeway in the event that happens. I think this might also hamper getting an extension done for the likes of Hilton, Kelly and (maybe) Mack 

That's an interesting point on the salary cap.  If there are no fans at the stadium, I wonder if the networks will charge advertisers more, because they should have more viewers.  Since the salary cap is based on tv revenues not stadium sales, I wonder if that could cause the salary cap to go up more than the typical 2-5%.

19 minutes ago, coffeedrinker said:

That's an interesting point on the salary cap.  If there are no fans at the stadium, I wonder if the networks will charge advertisers more, because they should have more viewers.  Since the salary cap is based on tv revenues not stadium sales, I wonder if that could cause the salary cap to go up more than the typical 2-5%.

But...... team revenues have some dependence on stadium sales. That money (tickets, parking, drinks, merchandise etc.) is split between the home and road team for each game. 

12 hours ago, coffeedrinker said:

I'm not sure. It's going to be different for everyone. Hooker as a first rounder not having his 5th year option picked up or getting a 2nd contract with the team that drafted him is a little disappointing I would think. Someone taken that high in my opinion should be with the team longer than 4 years. There are always circumstances like injury or coaching changes, but maybe that also just speaks to the limits of the player also. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Hooker as a first rounder not having his 5th year option picked up or getting a 2nd contract with the team that drafted him is a little disappointing I would think.

I agree with this, but not even near what I would describe as a bust. 

On 5/29/2020 at 4:21 PM, Wyld Stallyns said:

But...... team revenues have some dependence on stadium sales. That money (tickets, parking, drinks, merchandise etc.) is split between the home and road team for each game. 

Good point, it may change how much money the owner has to sign a player, especially for an owner like Irsay, where his main source of income is the Colts.  But the salary cap is based on TV revenue.