Franchises in Trouble??

With COVID-19 threatening the sports world with cancellations and/or games that are played with no fans present, it has gotten me to think about the financial health of some franchises in the NFL.  I know most ownership situations involve some pretty deep pockets and that they can weather a cancelled season, or a season with no fans.  On the other hand there are a couple of franchises that are headed by owners whose pockets aren't quite as deep and who really rely on fans buying tickets, and other team related items so that they can compete with uber wealthy owners.

Two franchises that I wonder about are the Cincinnati Bengals and the Las Vegas Raiders.  Of those, I especially wonder about the Raiders trying to open a new stadium and keeping and growing a fan base.  Mark Davis doesn't have the same financial security as other owners...in fact, the Raiders seem to be his source of income.  I don't think there is any threat of contraction in the NFL at the moment, but I wonder if other owners will have to chip in to help these franchises.  What do you think?

The NFL and the teams have tons of money, and if they ever ran into any issues I'm sure someone would bail them out. Absolute worst case scenario would be the owner being forced to sell the team, and some other billionaire would just buy it.

The only issue I see is a possible legal battle between the NFL and NFLPA to decide if teams need to pay players if there is no season, and if contracts toll a year or not.

I agree with @Heimdallr...Mark Davis and Mike Brown aren't the only owners who solely rely on football for their income...they'll be fine, as they have multiple sources of revenue other than strictly from the games that will get them by.  Plus, they likely already have insurance...there's insurance for everything.

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Ticket sales only make up around 15% of the league’s revenue. 

As long as the league has games on TV, they’ll do just fine. 

and they'll just make up the difference with 15% more commercials

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PrplChilPill said:

I can't imagine worrying that billionaires might not make more money.

Yes, because they'll make money in the stock market anyway...since we all know that's not actually reflective of the economy as a whole.