Patriots College Scouting Director Monti Ossenfort joins Titans as Director of Player Personnel

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Hope you like high-character, 4 year captains who can play in 3 different positions and is a special teams ace, Titan fans...

In all seriousness, this isn't really much of anything. One man doesn't call all the shots, this probably won't be noticed by either sets of fans.

And has a tremendous 3 cone time and don't worry about his 40 times which is not a high priority for a player that fits the system!

Edited by m haynes
  • Like 1

Bunch of salty Pats fans up in here. People are acting like we're going to overhaul how our front office has drafted in recent years. Adding another piece isn't going to drastically change how Jon Robinson drafts. As any Titan fan will say, we absolutely sucked at drafting under Ruston Webster, and have had several strong classes year after year under Robinson. Doesn't make him infallible, but he's earned the benefit of the doubt based on his track record.

18 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Yet his previous drafts have produced numerous studs and contributors.... he knows what he’s doing

Have they?

Obviously the Pats have been successful, but that's down to Brady, good FA pick-ups and BB the coach covering for BB the GM. Some of the Pats drafts have been more than a little questionable. From their peculiar fascination with over-drafting safeties in the second round to their inability to draft WR who isn't a) terrible, b) injury prone or c) both.

BB's ability coach, plus a pretty solid track record of picking up versatile role-players in the later rounds, have compensated for a pretty mediocre run of early picks. The last really good first-round pick they got was Hightower and, as crazy as that suddenly sounds to me, that was 8 years ago.  (and even he is a "hall of very good" player with a clutch gene, rather than a true all-pro game changer).

I honestly think the majority of fans/pundits give BB a pass on his drafting, because of his results, which might be fair enough.  But the truth is - if you saw just a list of the players the Pats drafted this decade and were told "this team won 3 Superbowls this decade, and were in the running for several more", you woudln't believe it.

Rest of the league should be happy BB whiffs on picks tbh. Imagine they had drafted Demarcus Lawrence over Dominique Easley, or Frank Clark instead of Malcom Brown, or Nick Chubb instead of Sony Michel or literally anybody instead of Cyrus Jones.

...I just made myself depressed.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, ChazStandard said:

Have they?

I was talking about Jon Robinson’s drafts... The Patriots drafts have terrible for a while now. Always though their drafting was severely overrated. Still you can’t put the blame solely on one guy. Belichick has a hell of a lot more influence in who the Patriots draft over Ossenfort.

2 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I was talking about Jon Robinson’s drafts... The Patriots drafts have terrible for a while now. Always though their drafting was severely overrated. Still you can’t put the blame solely on one guy. Belichick has a hell of a lot more influence in who the Patriots draft over Ossenfort.

No one here is putting the blame on any one person, but it's nice that part of the same old broken drafting system is gone from the Patriots. If anything, it would seem Belichick is most responsible for the drafting and evaluation errors. Hopefully in Ossenfort's place is a fresh perspective that allows the Patriots to do something different.

For the Titans, I am fond of their team and city. I have been a pretty big fan of Jon Robinson  since I researched his influence on the Titans and compared it to when be was on the Patriots. I did that about two years ago, and I see where you're coming from. He isn't perfect, but in the draft he is better than Belichick. I'm just not sure I want anyone coming from the Patriots scouting department anymore since they have been one of the absolute worst teams at that for 10+ years.

11 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Bunch of salty Pats fans up in here. 

eh?

"In all seriousness, this isn't really much of anything. One man doesn't call all the shots, this probably won't be noticed by either sets of fans."

"If anything, it would seem Belichick is most responsible for the drafting and evaluation errors"

Edited by Hunter2_1

4 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Belichick is most responsible for the drafting and evaluation errors

No Its stops here. Its BB with the final word. All others present the information only. He decide the final outcome. I tried to find a story about the time Lawrence Mahoney was drafted. The scouts did months of work and had other guys ranked higher. DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai and the scout were also high on Manny Lawson.

Josh McDaniels brother coached  at Minnesota and told BB his brother told him how good LM was, BB bypassed the scouts reports and picked him. Scouts were pissed. This is by memory couldn't find the article. 

I was Bull Crapped!!!!  My favorite player in the draft was Joseph Addai , at the time all the talk was to draft a RB, he did the wrong one.  When they picked LM everyone said, Who?????

IMO Bill and his buddy Ernie Adams have the only say when drafting a player. EX " Bill the numbers says this, jumps high/ long and ..."  BB "Good let go with.... ".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, m haynes said:

No Its stops here. Its BB with the final word. All others present the information only. He decide the final outcome. I tried to find a story about the time Lawrence Mahoney was drafted. The scouts did months of work and had other guys ranked higher. DeAngelo Williams, Joseph Addai and the scout were also high on Manny Lawson.

Josh McDaniels brother coached  at Minnesota and told BB his brother told him how good LM was, BB bypassed the scouts reports and picked him. Scouts were pissed. This is by memory couldn't find the article. 

I was Bull Crapped!!!!  My favorite player in the draft was Joseph Addai , at the time all the talk was to draft a RB, he did the wrong one.  When they picked LM everyone said, Who?????

IMO Bill and his buddy Ernie Adams have the only say when drafting a player. EX " Bill the numbers says this, jumps high/ long and ..."  BB "Good let go with.... ".

Oh yeah, BB has the keys. 

This is why I think we won't notice any scouting absence. We'll continue to draft 2nd round athletic DBs and 5th round special teamers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, m haynes said:

Another horrible part of the Patriots organization - Josh McDaniels.

Ugh.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

Another horrible part of the Patriots organization - Josh McDaniels.

Ugh.

Lot's of people saying this year is going to show whether Brady or BB were more responsible for the dynasty, but I think the person with the most to lose is McDaniels. This is the first time he's going to have a chance to build an offense from the ground up in NE that doesn't rely on Brady being awesome to put up points. If he fails, bye-bye head coaching offers.

1 hour ago, DoleINGout said:

No football.

I’m just delivering on a promise.  Some of them are impossible though.  How do you turn a coaching legend dying into a pun?  I Shul’a thought about my promise before I made it.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I’m just delivering on a promise.  Some of them are impossible though.  How do you turn a coaching legend dying into a pun?  I Shul’a thought about my promise before I made it.

Fine, but you're just making it easier for me #outpost you, son.