Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

Keenum’s big game against the Bucs was a 180 from his debut against Pittsburgh. The Steelers held him to only 167 yards on 37 attempts. Head coach Mike Zimmer said the difference was that Keenum had the whole week to prepare rather than face uncertain circumstances as he did going into the Pittsburgh game.

Zimmer: “I think a lot of it had to do with the timing of when he knew he was going to play, changing the plan. I think he was confident going in, felt good about the plays.”

http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2017/09/vikings-hc-zimmer-explains-keenum-thrived-vs-bucs/

In 2013, Keenum put together three excellent starts at the beginning of the season.

Game 1: 271 yards, 1 TD, 0 interceptions

Game 2: 350 yards, 3 TDs, 0 interceptions

Game 3: 201 yards, 3 TDs, 0 interceptions.

The making of a star, right? In his next five games he threw for more than 169 yards only once while throwing a combined two touchdowns and six interceptions.

Last year, Keenum put up 321 yards, three touchdowns and one interception on Oct. 16. The next week he threw for 291 yards, one touchdown and four interceptions.

If there is a lesson here it is this:

Keenum has talent. He can get on a roll. What he hasn't done previously in his career is sustain success.

http://www.startribune.com/minnesota-vikings-can-keenum-repeat/447668803/

has CK figured it out, or was the Bucs game more of an anomaly we won't see again?

I won’t call it an anomaly, but I think we saw what just about any quarterback can do when he’s given great protection, and he has a number of reliable and explosive weapons. 

If the offensive line can continue to play the way they have against New Orleans and Tampa Bay, I think you can expect similar output from our quarterback. If the offensive line plays like they did against Pittsburgh, expect similar results. 

Cook: “I just love the way Case comes in the huddle and brings the energy. He carries himself like a true-born leader, which he is. He comes in the huddle with that energy and he’s just ready to go out there and fire the ball. Case is slinging the ball; we all know that. He’s a good quarterback, but the leadership part is what he brings to the huddle.”

Rhodes: “Everything was just clicking on him. You could tell the confidence in there with him. We told him throughout the week, ‘We believe in you. We’ve got your back no matter what.’ And it seemed like he had our backs, so it’s good to see that.”

http://scout.com/nfl/vikings/Article/Minnesota-Vikings-teammates-impressed-by-Keenums-second-start-107981236

2 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

a case could be made that Keenum is a good backup QB. If he continues his success and can stay healthy, he should get a contract extension, although that could be an be a muggy situation with Bradford's contract looming and Bridgewater's contract tolling.

Bridgewater’s contract isn’t going to toll. 

The team will have to make a decision at the end of the year between Bradford and Bridgewater. An extension for Keenum shouldn’t be an issue. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Bridgewater’s contract isn’t going to toll. 

The team will have to make a decision at the end of the year between Bradford and Bridgewater. An extension for Keenum shouldn’t be an issue. 

ah okay. was thinking he just needed to be on PUP for this to occur. 

If Keenum plays this week, he'll have to play the same way: Move up in the pocket and get the ball out fast. Detroit can actually generate a pass rush, or at least Ziggy Ansah can. that's better than what New Orleans or Tampa Bay could do.

1 minute ago, SteelKing728 said:

ah okay. was thinking he just needed to be on PUP for this to occur.

Nope. The only way for Bridgewater’s contract to toll is if he is unable to pass a physical at the end of his 6 weeks on the PUP list. Given the videos and Instagram posts we saw of Bridgewater running, cutting, throwing, and moving around during the offseason and training camp, plus the most recent reports/rumors about the team ready to activate him in week 7, him not being able to pass a physical seems unlikely. 

16 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

a case could be made that Keenum is a good backup QB. 

I agree with that.  I think Case has certainly solidified himself as one of the better backup QBs in the NFL...and that should bode well for his future.  I don't think his skill-set will ever warrant him the ability to be a full-time starter, but if a team needs to get by for a few weeks, they'll be okay with him.  If he's content with that, he can be a better version of Shaun Hill.  

44 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I won’t call it an anomaly, but I think we saw what just about any quarterback can do when he’s given great protection, and he has a number of reliable and explosive weapons. 

If the offensive line can continue to play the way they have against New Orleans and Tampa Bay, I think you can expect similar output from our quarterback. If the offensive line plays like they did against Pittsburgh, expect similar results. 

I agree with this, although I think it had more to do with the quality of the opposing defence than anything else.

Shaggy played really well against Tampa Bay, but... the Buccaneers were missing five starters on defence and were not getting any sort of pressure on him. And Diggs and Thielen made some great catches down the field too.

Of course, one could say the same thing about Sam Bradford in Week 1. It's still early in the season and we'll have to see how things progress.

Archived