Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

18 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Except MN has yet to win anything and have won a string of games against below .500 teams.

in this case, is Keenum not the interim? It was Teddy's job first, I guess you could say he has been on leave.

If we're saying Keenum is equivalent to the interm, then Teddy is equivalent to the previous boss who needed to leave due to being unfit for office 15 months ago. 

Stick with the interm doing well, or roll the dice with someone your not totally sold on but wish you were

20 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

soon we'll be psycho analyzing his facial features in sideline pics, like some tried to do with Ponder.

No one was psycho-analyzing Ponder. He just had this defeated look about him on the sidelines way too often.

36 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

If we're saying Keenum is equivalent to the interm, then Teddy is equivalent to the previous boss who needed to leave due to being unfit for office 15 months ago. 

Stick with the interm doing well, or roll the dice with someone your not totally sold on but wish you were

I’m not sure how that’s an apt comparison. Teddy wasn’t removed because of performance.

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I’m not sure how that’s an apt comparison. Teddy wasn’t removed because of performance.

Well it was not voluntarily removal either. Not a temporary voluntary leave or subattical either

Unfit not due to performance, but closer to illness.

Hey I didn't start the CEO business comparison lol

So does anyone here think that the other 51 guys on the roster (outside of Case and Teddy) wouldn't absolutely play their hearts out for Teddy's first game under center? If Teddy gets the nod tomorrow, if the coaching staff thinks the past 4 weeks have been good enough, and Teddy runs out there in US Bank Stadium for the first time, I think the emotion and level of excitement is going to be like nothing we've seen in a long, long time. 

I'm not saying that's a reason for Teddy to start. Just stating that the atmosphere would be something to behold. 

6 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

So does anyone here think that the other 51 guys on the roster (outside of Case and Teddy) wouldn't absolutely play their hearts out for Teddy's first game under center? If Teddy gets the nod tomorrow, if the coaching staff thinks the past 4 weeks have been good enough, and Teddy runs out there in US Bank Stadium for the first time, I think the emotion and level of excitement is going to be like nothing we've seen in a long, long time. 

I'm not saying that's a reason for Teddy to start. Just stating that the atmosphere would be something to behold. 

I think starting him at home would be the ideal way to do it. This is why I think the Rams game would be the game to do it, feed off the energy... plus we've got 3 straight on the road after the Rams game.

12 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Sounds like he is openly asking for the starting job, showing the desire for the starting spot or at least to continue starting, to an extent he didn't feel he needed to before.

You're joking right? Your arguments are bordering on ridiculous now. "He really wants the starting job because he made a comment about being competitive on a radio show". What was he supposed to say? 

As far as the stats based argument, in which category is 2017 Keenum significantly outperforming 2015 Teddy? They are actually very similar, which is remarkable when you account for scheme and personnel differences, as well as the fact that Teddy was 22 years old, as opposed to a 29 year old Keenum.

Zimmer:  “The two turnovers [from Keenum] were bad. Back to back, and we had the game pretty much in hand. The rest of the game, he played pretty darn good. He moved in the pocket well, threw the ball good. He started slow in the last couple ball games, and started really fast in this game in the first half, came back in the second half a little bit. He’s a very excitable guy. Sometimes he gets off the reservation a little bit. I talked to him a little this morning about understanding the situation of the game and where we’re at and that sometimes a throw-away is a good thing.”

Zimmer said his relationship with Keenum wasn’t what he had developed with former starter Sam Bradford but added, “we have a good relationship; we talk all the time.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/11/13/vikings-case-keenum-or-teddy-bridgewater-for-now-zimmer-is-mum/

15 hours ago, Purplexing said:

No, I'm not hedging here; I claimed TB will be named starter and offered a few points in support of that position.  Only one thing will happen, IMO, with support offered.

How much history is there on Zimmer making a QB announcement mid-week, and why not delay it until Saturday if his objective is to 'confuse' the opponent?   Usually the incumbent starts, so why make an announcement if the opponent knows the 'usual' action?

That's a good question. Zimmer may or may not follow history's pattern.

1 hour ago, JDBrocks said:

As far as the stats based argument, in which category is 2017 Keenum significantly outperforming 2015 Teddy? They are actually very similar, which is remarkable when you account for scheme and personnel differences, as well as the fact that Teddy was 22 years old, as opposed to a 29 year old Keenum.

I didn't look at the stats but I feel like we have a lot better chance on any third and long with Keenum than we ever had with Teddy or Sam. Keenum is a gamer willing to go for it. Bridgewater, and further Bradford, were either too timid or simply didn't understand game situations well enough to take reasonable risks.

If I was the coach I would start Case against the Rams. It wouldn't even be a close call or hard decision for me. Keenum is playing the QB position better than the Vikings have had a guy play it since Favre. There is more to the position than stats but if you are going to look at stats the most important stat is the W-L record. Case is outperforming Sam or Teddy in that statistical respect.

Archived