Top NFL Free Agents Still Available at Every Position

turtle28

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Markus Golden? If so, you might have a rival for “Steelers fan who likes Markus Golden the most.” He’s so underrated. Every year he’s healthy he gets double digit sacks.

he also didnt sign anywhere because he wants 10+ per year. If we sign him now that he has been tendered we lose a comp pick

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

He’s always had the reputation of racking up a bunch of tackles after either a) giving up a reception or b) tackling a RB after a 7+ yard gain. He was a big part of the Giants defense the last 2 seasons.

Im all about Reshad Jones as a backup to Minkah though. As been mentioned I think we will be aggressive in adding talent leading up to the start of the season and I wouldn’t be surprised if we make another Minkah-like splash. 

So he is like the Mike Mitchell of LBs who would tackle a WR after a 14 yard gain.

• Like 1

Do we have any more funds to spend?  If so, I find it hard to believe that this team cannot be upgraded in one or two areas with some of the talent left out there.  That said, we have draft picks that I am sure that Tomlin wants to evaluate before grabbing more Veteran talent at those spots.

1 hour ago, Ward4HOF said:

Do we have any more funds to spend?  If so, I find it hard to believe that this team cannot be upgraded in one or two areas with some of the talent left out there.  That said, we have draft picks that I am sure that Tomlin wants to evaluate before grabbing more Veteran talent at those spots.

I think we're pretty much tapped out. I would imagine they'll give a few extensions later in the offseason that could give us some money. Maybe Heyward?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

‪Top NFL Free Agents Still Available at Every Position

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/05/05/nfl-top-free-agents-still-available‬

1. QB: Cam Newton - - I would also add Joe Flacco here.  Signing a veteran QB is out for 2020 unless something drastic happens. I have always like veteran QB's as the back-up. The Steelers gambled last year and it cost them a play-off spot due to the youth and inexperience at QB down the stretch.  Too expensive for this year, but I would definitely look to try to grab a veteran next year to learn the system and be an insurance policy for post-Big Ben in another year or two.  I loved when we  had Batch and Byron.  That was the best QB trio in the league at the time due to the back-up experience and it paid off well when Ben went down or was suspended.

2. RB: Donta Freeman- - No need to rush to signing him yet. If Connor went down for an extended period maybe. I think we want to see what we have and defenses wouldn't be able to pressure our offense with Big Ben back there as well. I would also consider Carlos Hyde.

3: WR: Paul Richardson, Taylor Gabriel - - I have always liked Gabriel, but I think the team is set at WR.  

4. OT: Jason Peters - - Only if Villy went down for significant time. 

5. DE/OLB: Jadaveon Clowney, Everton Griffen - - Nope. I pass on both, but would love a veteran like Mathews to mentor and rotate in. 

6. DT: Mike Daniels, Damon “Snacks” Harrison - - Snacks or Star Lotulelei. I have longed for the big body in the middle. But these guys are expensive. Which is probably why they are free agents. They would be a huge upgrade in terms of productivity and run stuffing to Big Dan. The team will wait to see how the DL looks before exploring anyone here I am sure. 

7. ILB: Alec Ogletree, Mychal l Kendricks - - I have been a fan of Kendricks for our defense for a while. He got in some legal trouble a few years ago and it probably hurt his chances. To me he is an experienced and more instinctive LJ Fort (whom I dearly miss as well). 

8. OLB: Markus Golden, Nigel Bradham - - Wouldn't mind Golden, but aould love the veteran Clay Mathews Jr.

9. CB: Logan Ryan - - I would not mind, but not necessary. I would also look at Darquez Dennard. He would be an excellent #5 or #6 with experience.

10. S: Eric Berry, Eric Reid - - Eric Berry is more one-dimensional now, but Reid and I would add Tony Jefferson (if healthy) either of those vets would help our young back-end and allow Minkah to really open up.  Team probably won't do it as they are looking to see what Edmunds does. They could still use some depth at safety. Both of those players have starting experience and could really help Edmunds out and open up being able to use him in some exotic packages as well. 

21 hours ago, turtle28 said:

In a perfect world (realistically, I don't think any of these will happen), if I could afford to sign three veterans to a cap friendly number they would be:

1. Choose between  Kendricks to be an insurance policy in the middle/Dime or Clay Mathews to rotate at OLB/Nickel DE

2. Eric Reid or Tony Jefferson (if healthy) to play back-up SS, but they would get a lot of plays in our defense.

3. Star to play base, short yardage and goal line run defense. Not an every down player and wouldn't do much with pass rush, but would instantly improve our base run defense, short yardage and goal line packages. 

2 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we're pretty much tapped out. I would imagine they'll give a few extensions later in the offseason that could give us some money. Maybe Heyward?

Heyward and/or new Dupree deal most likely.

However, now probably best time to do extensions with Feiler/Villy/Banner.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, AlanFanecaFan said:

Heyward and/or new Dupree deal most likely.

However, now probably best time to do extensions with Feiler/Villy/Banner.

I was explicitly talking about deals that would help out our cap this year. I agree that our OTs need new deals, and this is the time to do them. They will cost us cap space this year most likely, at least Feiler and Banner would. Heyward's deal only really needs to be done if we need some cap flexibility this year. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I was explicitly talking about deals that would help out our cap this year. I agree that our OTs need new deals, and this is the time to do them. They will cost us cap space this year most likely, at least Feiler and Banner would. Heyward's deal only really needs to be done if we need some cap flexibility this year. 

Well for this year it’s Heyward and Dupree.

I would guess with Feilers tender being $3.3 mill IIRC, it probably break even or only add a mill or so on a long term deal.

Bannee signed a reworked 1 year deal at $1.75 mill so yes, it go up a little at least.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I don’t believe so. The Steelers have $7 million and some change. They still need to sign their rookies. I would think if they have any $ left after that, they should spend it on Damon Harrison, a NT.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Livewire said:

So he is like the Mike Mitchell of LBs who would tackle a WR after a 14 yard gain.

Better to tackle the guy then not though right?

I can’t fault a FS for making tackles, I fault the other players in front of him for not doing a better job.

On 5/5/2020 at 7:52 PM, MOSteelers56 said:

Maybe a combo of UG3, Edmunds, and Brooks could replace Barron's snap count.

Barron is a good coverage mlb... Peters would be a good pickup but the price is kinda high for him...

Dupree and Watt are great olb's , the only way clay would work is if he's in on 3rd down blitzing packages 

• Like 1