2021 Draft Talk

swede700

What do y’all think about Pat Freiermuth? I think this could be Rudolph’s last year on the Vikings since his play has declined the past few seasons. Also his cap hit doesn’t make his situation any better. I could see the Vikings cutting him and drafting his replacement next year. With that being said, Freiermuth is an absolute beast and does everything we need a TE to do in our system. Scouts have called him Baby Gronk and not a lot of TEs can block, run routes and get yards after the catch like he does. Should be available late in the first round, so I think we definitely have a shot at getting him. Next years class is looking solid and I’m happy we already have 12 picks. Skol 🙏

Edited by Purplepride323
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:52 AM, VikeManDan said:

Important to note that the Vikings already have 12 picks in the 2021 draft.

Vikings 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th ,7th

Bills 4th (Diggs Trade)

Bears 4th (2020 Draft Day Trade)

Ravens 5th (2020 Draft Day Trade)

Potential Compensatory Picks (3rd - Waynes, 6th -  Alexander)

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/25/21236787/minnesota-vikings-already-have-12-picks-2021-nfl-draft

Didnt we give up our 7th Rd pick for Mark Fields from Kansas City Chiefs? Did we get one back somewhere that I'm not remembering?

• 3 weeks later...
12 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm wondering if we prioritize CB again. I like Gladney and Dantzler, but Hughes needs to step up or its going to be another long year.

This year will go a long way towards determining that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

I'm wondering if we prioritize CB again. I like Gladney and Dantzler, but Hughes needs to step up or its going to be another long year.

I hope not! 

36 minutes ago, RpMc said:

This year will go a long way towards determining that.

Yeah, we'll have to see how it goes, but, at this point, I could see them prioritizing more in the defensive backfield, but I think offensive line and hopefully, the QB position will also be considered before that...as well as the defensive line (specifically the DTs)

Edited by swede700

• 2 weeks later...

sorry i didn't want to make a whole new thread and didn't want to bump a super-old Spielman thread but FootballOutsiders recently posted an article about drafting efficiency: https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2020/nfl-drafting-efficiency-2010-2019

the vikings have the second best "draft return vs. draft capital" over the last five years, with KC being first (no shocker with players like mahomes, hill and chris jones). here's the summary of the article, which just highlights Rick's philosophy:

What this all tells me is that drafting well is a lot of luck, mixed with some skill and an extra layer of a random "jackpot" on top (the one or two later-round picks each draft that become unexpected Hall of Famers). This would explain the data we see (including the outliers) pretty well. The Seahawks are probably pretty good at drafting, but also had some crazy luck in hitting three jackpots in a row (Wilson, Wagner, and Richard Sherman). What this should tell NFL teams is that you need to roll the dice as many times as you can (trading down for additional value whenever possible), get the best GM you can possibly find, and get the top coaches in the league to develop the talent you draft -- which is what we already see consistently good teams generally do.

i know that "10 pick rick" is a constant theme/joke but honestly given the amount of picks we've already accumulated i hope rick aims for 12 picks every draft and opts to trade for earlier future picks instead of trading up in the current draft. 

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I can't imagine that'll happen every year, but when they do have the excess like they did, it makes sense to trade some of them for the future.  

it obviously helps with comp picks and i don't think we'll get many in the next couple years with no big players set to be FA's (or players we'll likely retain like brian o'neill). but presumably having 12 picks next draft, we could feasibly trade back/trade for future picks to consistently have 10 picks going into each draft and then add a couple more with trade downs. 

if i'm spielman then 10 picks shouldn't be the goal, it's the minimum.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...