2021 Draft Talk

swede700

24 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

The new blood opted out due to COVID, right?  I think Pierce would've covered up a lot of holes.  I don't know how much conspiracy theory goes into running multi-million dollar businesses, but had Pierce played, would've Kendricks been out the last 4 games?  I think the domino of Hunter's tweaked neck and Pierce started a downfall in the defense that we all see as a travesty.  

When we look at Aaron Donald (who I wanted in lieu of Barr), Fletcher Cox, Buckner, Kevin Williams, Tuck . . . they all contributed as rookies.  There were a few rookie DTs that have introduced themselves to the league this year.  We need one of those next year, don't we?

That would be great, but those guys don’t come around very often. There isn’t really an elite prospect at that position this year IMO. But I think there will be a few edge players available that could make a difference right away. Which is why I suggested signing an immediate impact DT in FA. Let’s remember they found Tom Johnson, Linval, Richardson, Pierce all in FA. Which IMO are the best Vikings DTs since the Williams wall. They just haven’t really used high draft picks to find DTs , exception being Floyd. Johnson, Lynch, Stephen, Holmes, Watts were all selected 4th or later and haven’t really panned out. Jury still out on Lynch & maybe Watts but I’m not confident. 

Also, in the past two days I’ve had Jaleel Johnson & Everson Griffen respond to me on Twitter. So I guess you could say I’m famous haha. Needless to say, Everson desperately wants to come back but may have screwed himself by talking bad about Kirk & Johnson expects to move on to a new team. 

45 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Will be watching Christian Barmore as closely as I can tonight.

I like Jaylen Twyman, Jay Tufele and Darius Stills more. Christian Barmore seems to get pushed back on a lot of plays and has issues with his anchor. Jaylen Twyman is a DT that I hope we get in order to give us a good pass rusher from the 3Tech position. Something we haven’t had since Sheldon Richardson left. That is also the year I remember us having our best defense during the Zimmer era. We need pass rushers! Christian Barmore is good, but if we can get Twyman in the 2nd or 3rd round, that’ll be my preference. 

Edited by Purplepride323

4 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

I like Jaylen Twyman, Jay Tufele and Darius Stills more. Christian Barmore seems to get pushed back on a lot of plays and has issues with his anchor. Jaylen Twyman is a DT that I hope we get in order to give us a good pass rusher from the 3Tech position. Something we haven’t had since Sheldon Richardson left. That is also the year I remember us having our best defense during the Zimmer era. We need pass rushers! Christian Barmore is good, but if we can get Twyman in the 2nd or 3rd round, that’ll be my preference. 

We have no 2nd round picks so that 1st round pick has to be exactly what they need.  Because there will not be great OL in the 3rd most likely and same with DTs so they better get it right.  

Out of all of these offensive line groups I like the Leatherwood one the most, because he can legit play OG and OT.  Carman cannot do that, or has never played guard, same with Slater I believe and Darrisaw.  Sure Darrisaw could convert to guard but Leatherwood is the only of these top guys to do both, and the Reiff moving to guard is probably not going to happen so that makes drafting Carman or Mayfield harder because they are tackles not guards, Mayfield I think could play guard more than Carman but who knows.  Slater I think could be a guard but might be greatly misusing him though.  Leatherwood at least can play the position and if they want him at tackle he can do that as well.

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Leatherwood
OT O'Neill

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Slater
OT O'Neill

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Carman
OT O'Neill

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Darrisaw
OT O'Neill

OT Reiff
OG Cleveland
C Bradbury
OG Mayfield
OT O'Neill

Then again Carman and Mayfield I would not mind at guard if they can do it but that is a question.  Both of them there could be promising as well but again Leatherwood is the only one to do both, and Wyatt Davis cannot play tackle and Myers could at least play guard or center so that makes him interesting as well.  Say Mayfield or Carman run a good 40 and show athletic ability, especially Mayfield he could be an option.  Slater is already a good athlete and would not be surprised to see him do well, Leatherwood might not run well so possibly they will disregard him because of that, but last time I checked it matters if you can block and move people not so much how fast you run the 40.  All the guys on the line currently outside of Dozier had good 40 times, especially Bradbury, Cleveland and O'Neill, so what when it comes to pass pro and that 40 time is not helping they pass protect any or keep from getting pushed around.  Sure it is important but you need some power and strength to go with it like Trent Williams, not just speed only and Bradbury needs to work on his strength, same with Cleveland.  

That is why Wirfs has been so great he is powerful and athletic, Slater is a tough guy and could be that nice combo of athletic ability and strength, not sure Darrisaw is he seems pretty slugish at times.

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

We have no 2nd round picks so that 1st round pick has to be exactly what they need.  Because there will not be great OL in the 3rd most likely and same with DTs so they better get it right.  

Out of all of these offensive line groups I like the Leatherwood one the most, because he can legit play OG and OT.  Carman cannot do that, or has never played guard, same with Slater I believe and Darrisaw.  Sure Darrisaw could convert to guard but Leatherwood is the only of these top guys to do both, and the Reiff moving to guard is probably not going to happen so that makes drafting Carman or Mayfield harder because they are tackles not guards, Mayfield I think could play guard more than Carman but who knows.  Slater I think could be a guard but might be greatly misusing him though.  Leatherwood at least can play the position and if they want him at tackle he can do that as well.

Yeah I really hope we trade down and acquire a 2nd or even trade next year’s first rounder for this year’s 2nd round pick. There’s too much talent to pass up on this year. 

I like those offensive linemen, especially Leatherwood and Carman. I also like Alijah Vera- Tucker and Wyatt Davis. I think we’ll solidify our O-line with any of those guards. 

Edited by Purplepride323

Vikings not counting Comp picks or six and seven round they have (2) 3rd (3) 4th (2) 5th rd picks.

Vikings have more than enough ammo to regain a mid/late 2nd rounder if don't want to trade down in the 1st.

While I want Ezra at LT, moving him, cutting Reiff and drafting 2 OL is just too much movement. Especially since Zimmer will be fighting to keep his job. Hoping the Vikings find someone who's a strong blocker on the inside. The trenches on both side need at least one more starting caliber player.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dc_vikingfan said:

Vikings not counting Comp picks or six and seven round they have (2) 3rd (3) 4th (2) 5th rd picks.

Vikings have more than enough ammo to regain a mid/late 2nd rounder if don't want to trade down in the 1st.

I don't think it's ever been a lack of ammunition.  I think it has more to do with a lack of suitors willing to move down that far.  Moving down from 60-64 until 78 probably means teams are dropping at least a tier of players.  Going back to 2016, I think I only saw 2 trades that moved from late second round until mid 3rd round and both trades involved New England (New England in 2016 with New Orleans AND New England in 2019 with Seattle).  The fact is doesn't happen very often, and even less likely when New England isn't anywhere near the bottom of the second round.  

Not sure there's any history of it, but something like their FRP and a 3rd round pick to a team for a late FRP and a SRP.  Problem is what kind of player would need to fall?  Would Jacksonville be interested in swapping 25 and 45 (1170 points combined) for 14 and 91 (1236 points combined)?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't think it's ever been a lack of ammunition.  I think it has more to do with a lack of suitors willing to move down that far.  Moving down from 60-64 until 78 probably means teams are dropping at least a tier of players.  Going back to 2016, I think I only saw 2 trades that moved from late second round until mid 3rd round and both trades involved New England (New England in 2016 with New Orleans AND New England in 2019 with Seattle).  The fact is doesn't happen very often, and even less likely when New England isn't anywhere near the bottom of the second round.  

Not sure there's any history of it, but something like their FRP and a 3rd round pick to a team for a late FRP and a SRP.  Problem is what kind of player would need to fall?  Would Jacksonville be interested in swapping 25 and 45 (1170 points combined) for 14 and 91 (1236 points combined)?

As a Vikings fan, pending the board at 14 of course, that's the type of move I could get behind.  I feel that the offensive and defensive lineman likely available from 25 to 45 aren't that different from those available at 14.  Outside of the big guns of course.

The likelihood of a Darrisaw, Slater, Davis, Vera-Tucker, Mayfield type player being there at 25 are high, IMO

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

As a Vikings fan, pending the board at 14 of course, that's the type of move I could get behind.  I feel that the offensive and defensive lineman likely available from 25 to 45 aren't that different from those available at 14.  Outside of the big guns of course.

The likelihood of a Darrisaw, Slater, Davis, Vera-Tucker, Mayfield type player being there at 25 are high, IMO

Yup I wouldn’t be mad at all if we trade down, even twice, to get a pick between 25-30. Even if that means passing on Trey Lance and Zach Wilson. I would rather get a great lineman late in the first, while acquiring more picks in the second and third round, than get a QB of the future and missing out on other position players of the future. We can still find our QB of the future in later rounds. Kellen Mond, Desmond Ridder and Brady White are some guys who have starting potential that’ll be there in the later rounds. Also if Kyle Trask falls to the late 3rd/4th round, I think that’ll be a great pick for us. He’s better than Sean Mannion for sure. 

Edited by Purplepride323