2021 Draft Talk

swede700

21 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I think House’s comment here is a big reason why fans have never accepted Cousins, and want someone new. He’s not very fun to watch. Even when he’s playing well, he’s very traditional, methodical, and boring. 

When you look around the league and see Mahomes, Watson, Murray, Wilson, Rodgers, Herbert, Mayfield, and any other QB who has a knack for creating during the course of the play, they make the game so much more fun to watch. 

I think that's a fun college pass to watch.  It'' be interesting to see if he can complete that pass across his body in the pro game.  VERY few pro quarterbacks could get away with it.  Mahomes comes to mind...FAvre attempted it often enough, but later in his career it produced a lot of interceptions, none more devastating then the end of the 2009 NFCCG.

41 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Clearly that'll be the case, but, depending upon how he got it, I'm certain the team that drafts him #1 will have a long discussion with him about responsibility to the team.  

Responsibility?? For what? Living life ... let’s hope it not a test that went wrong like Nick Saban and the other 100,000 plus that were false.. 

if a team asked me about that “ pre draft”, I would say, I’m not your guy. See ya.....

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

Responsibility?? For what? Living life ... let’s hope it not a test that went wrong like Nick Saban and the other 100,000 plus that were false.. 

if a team asked me about that “ pre draft”, I would say, I’m not your guy. See ya.....

Responsibility about not putting yourself in positions to harm the team (especially when we're potentially paying you millions of dollars).  Clearly this is a situation where he potentially could cause his team to not win a national championship.  If you're offended about having that discussion, then you won't last in the NFL, so I wouldn't draft you in the first place.  It's not about "living life."  You can live life without taking unnecessary risks.       

And again, it's dependent upon how he acquired it.  If he went out partying or to a rally and didn't take the necessary precautions, that's on him.  If he did what was within his control and still got it, that's something different.  It's all about the details.  Don't take my words out of context.    

Edited by swede700

1 hour ago, PrplChilPill said:

My issue with Kirk isn't that he's boring. Tom Brady is boring......Kirk just isn't good enough at his job to carry a team. He could be a SB QB on the right team, but this one isn't that team. The OL and D aren't good enough for him to be just average.

Tom Brady has a fire and passion you just don't see out of Cousins enough IMO. He gets on guys' for not doing their job.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swede700 said:

Clearly that'll be the case, but, depending upon how he got it, I'm certain the team that drafts him #1 will have a long discussion with him about responsibility to the team.  

Is there any context to his positive test (out partying, etc.)? Lawrence is probably one of the prospects I'd be worried about the least when it comes to off the field things. Seems like he's got a strong head on his shoulders.

I'm sure those discussions are happening with potential franchise QBs regardless of this situation in some form or another. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I’m standing on the Justin Fields and Zach Wilson band wagons like Van Damme standing on two Volvos.

Sure but Trey Lance I would rather have long term.  Justin Fields will be gone before the Vikings pick, and if they pick Zach Wilson over Trey Lance that is just sad.  Still waiting on Zach Wilson to play against a real football team one of these days, great play no question but awful competition.  Gunner Romney is a pro prospect possibly at WR for them and Milne as well.  He has not played a NFL prospect on defense all season arguably, Boise State is next week, and even with Boise State they are not what they used to be defensively but will see.

Would love for the Vikings to get one of these super talented OL in the draft, Sewell is probably out of the question but Leatherwood is in play, so is Carman who is an amazing player, same with Mayfield who has big time upside and Myers is a rock in the middle and Davis is the best guard in the draft.  Would not hate getting Walker Little either who has a ton of upside and Moore is a beast and could be a mauler at guard.  Carman and Mayfield are what appears to be super high level OTs and could really be something come draft time.  If the Vikings got either one, no way Cleveland is even playing at LT which is not a great thing obviously and could be an issue, but both are easily better players, same can be said with Sewell and Leatherwood.

Penei Sewell Oregon JR OT
Alex Leatherwood Alabama OT/OG
Jackson Carman Clemson JR OT
Jalen Mayfield Michigan RS SOPH OT
Josh Myers Ohio State RS JR C/OG
Wyatt Davis Ohio State RS JR OG
Walker Little Stanford OT
Dan Moore Jr Texas A&M OG/OT

46 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Sure but Trey Lance I would rather have long term.  Justin Fields will be gone before the Vikings pick, and if they pick Zach Wilson over Trey Lance that is just sad.  Still waiting on Zach Wilson to play against a real football team one of these days, great play no question but awful competition.  Gunner Romney is a pro prospect possibly at WR for them and Milne as well.  He has not played a NFL prospect on defense all season arguably, Boise State is next week, and even with Boise State they are not what they used to be defensively but will see.

Sad? Really.. who did Trey Lance beat? Wilson would be a great pick and he probably will be a 1st round pick.. 

Wilson has a great arm with really good accuracy. He can extend the play when he has to. 

I want no parts of a running QB.. They always end up getting hurt. I want a smart QB like Russell Wilson who knows when he does leave the pocket, he goes as far as he can and slides. Same with Arron Rodgers. 

You are paid to throw the football. Not be a hero running it. That’s why we just gave  our running back a 5 year deal.

Competition level doesn’t dismiss the throws that Wilson is making. His ball placement and overall accuracy can’t be taught. Trey Lance is a fun prospect with a lot of upside, but he’s never shown the accuracy that we’re seeing from Wilson. 

I’ll take Wilson over Lance at this point. 

When it comes to drafting a QB, it has been proven time and time again, there is just no measurement for heart and drive.  That is how a Brady becomes the GOAT and top picks fail left and right.  Somewhere deep down inside some of these young men is a burning desire to get better.  Constantly driving themselves while others are on trips to vegas they are in the film room or doing QB camps to hone their craft constantly looking to get better.
I am a huge proponent of Trevor Lawrence, but in reality nobody knows who will be the top QB drafted in the 2021 draft.  Luck had everything that any scout could ask for, but he is out of the NFL in 7 years.  He should just be hitting his prime.  
What made Brady great?  constantly being benched at Mich for better prospects?  Drafted 199 overall?  Coach Belichek?  Or was it some strange combination of all these things that combined to lite the fire that has driven him for all these years.

2 hours ago, Vikes22 said:

Sad? Really.. who did Trey Lance beat? Wilson would be a great pick and he probably will be a 1st round pick.. 

Wilson has a great arm with really good accuracy. He can extend the play when he has to. 

I want no parts of a running QB.. They always end up getting hurt. I want a smart QB like Russell Wilson who knows when he does leave the pocket, he goes as far as he can and slides. Same with Arron Rodgers. 

You are paid to throw the football. Not be a hero running it. That’s why we just gave  our running back a 5 year deal.

Yeah maybe 10 years ago they ended up getting hurt, now a days with the rules the way they are they are far more protected.  And I would want a ball control run centered team anyway that leans towards a defensive team and helping the D by controlling the clock.  Trey Lance is a better fit for the Vikings scheme especially as a zone run team.  It would make Dalvin Cook better and would be very dangerous to go up against in play action and RPO.  Zach Wilson sure is good but only if one could get him 2nd round, he has a live arm but last time I checked tons of players in college at QB look like some future HOF player right now.  No one plays defense in college it seems and with no crowds in the stands they are even worse at defense.  Tons of guys look like they are out of this world good but really it is just crap competition more often than not, maybe that is the case with Trey but give me a superior athlete and a bigger stronger athlete with more upside over a guy who makes a few nice throws but who doesn't now a days?  Is Wilson better than Mac Jones, Kyle Trask or even Kellen Mond?  Probably not.  Matt Corral has looked great this year, Sam Howell, Dillon Gabriel even DJ Uiagalelei looks like a future star, Spencer Rattler looks amazing.  Those guys all have a higher ceiling than Wilson does I feel, sure cannot go out for the draft in 2021 but still.

Last time I checked Mac Jones has not only played better than Zach Wilson but has been better against better competition.  Want a sleeper QB for the Vikes it would be Mac Jones not Zach Wilson.  Mac Jones has very similar stats through five games that Joe Burrow did last season.  Granted he is will superior talent but also has went up against the best defense in college football in terms of pro prospects in Georgia and ripped them apart.

I say again, sure Wilson looks good but will see how he looks against Boise State and in the bowl game assuming they play someone legit.  I have watched Zach Wilson the previous two seasons, curious if others have outside of the twitter hype he has got this year.   Before getting dismissed from FAU, last season Chris Robison looked like a super star, some compared to Baker Mayfield when Robison was at his best.  In college football currently, with the offenses ran and how bad defenses are, simply put a ton of guys look a lot better than they actually are. Is Zach Wilson some franchise QB at the next level, I never saw that as a younger player and not sure I even see it now, good yes, up and coming sure but high 1st round pick?  Mac Jones thank you.   

^^ And I would be happy with Mac Jones or Kyle Trask. I believe both guys have the potential to become great QB’s in the NFL. 

I just won’t a QB that throws 1st and runs 2nd. I also believe Sam Ehlinger could become a franchise QB as well.

i just don’t want anything to do with Tray Lance.

29 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

^^ And I would be happy with Mac Jones or Kyle Trask. I believe both guys have the potential to become great QB’s in the NFL. 

I just won’t a QB that throws 1st and runs 2nd. I also believe Sam Ehlinger could become a franchise QB as well.

i just don’t want anything to do with Tray Lance.

Are people honestly considering taking him as the 8th pick in the draft?  Zach Wilson?  I would not even take Mac Jones, who I think is better, that high in the draft either.  I thought Trey Lance was a little overrated early in the process as well.  But he is arguably the most athletic QB in the draft and has as much upside as any QB in the draft.  Oh and he is a local Minnesota kid with a grounded head on his shoulders and he knows how to protect the football and not make mistakes.  Sure it is a gamble but if we are stuck with Kirk for quite awhile more because of that awful contract, why not get a high upside project QB who can sit and develop instead of a low upside QB who is not as good of an athlete and does not have as high of a upside.  Sure would have loved to see Trey Lance this season play to prove it more and show more of what he can do, but he was a RS FR last season, and to say he cannot develop as a passer is just simply not true at all.  He has a very live arm and has more than enough tools at the next level which should be shown at the workouts.

Regardless I would rather talk about how great Carman and Mayfield have played this year or Wyatt Davis or Alex Leatherwood and those OL prospects.  All this QB talk gets a little sickening, as if that is all that matters.