2021 Draft Talk

swede700

3 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

But 14 is better than any of those picks. And for a team like Baltimore, with a strong roster already formed, quality may be more appealing than quantity. 

Agree to disagree. I dont think Baltimore is interested in any deal where they have to send both Brown + #27

8 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

I'd probably pass just due to the fact that Brown Jr. is going to need a new contract. There should be an OT worthy of the 14th selection.

But what if you could get Brown, and a guard in the first round? 

You could have Brown, Cleveland, Bradbury, rookie, and O’Neill. That wouldn’t only be a talented offensive line, it would be an o-line all 26 and younger. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You could have Brown, Cleveland, Bradbury, rookie, and O’Neill. That wouldn’t only be a talented offensive line, it would be an o-line all 26 and younger. 

I thought about that and wouldn't hate it. I'd almost be willing to include one of the 3rds this year rather than 2022.

While not specifically for this draft alone, I think this graph is appropriate for this thread...

The other day on Twitter I posted something looking at average snaps per year played by draft picks and UDFAs and I had a few requests for a larger time period so I went back and looked at every draft since 2011 to look at the snaps played by draft picks. Just to get a bit of the calculations out of the way the snaps are just for snaps played for the team that drafted the player (i.e. in 2021 any snaps played by Sam Darnold for Carolina would count as a 0 for the pick). Secondly I calculated the average snaps for each slot by year so I could easily adjust the numbers for players in the middle of their rookie contracts. I then summed up the average for each contract year to come up with the expected 4 year total.

Using the numbers above I calculated the expected “return” for a draft slot. For the most part this was the average of the four draft slots before the pick and then three after the pick. There are other ways to do it but this was a quick and dirty method for something I wanted to do which was see what teams had gotten the most or least out of their draft picks since 2011. Here is a look at the average snaps above expected per year for each teams draft picks since 2011.

excessdraftsnaps.png

https://overthecap.com/expected-drafted-player-snaps-over-rookie-years/

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Yes, but there is 16 teams who could provide better then pick 48 (and just move their own 2nd rounder).

I think Baltimore will ask for our 2022 1st rounder (which they will value at pick #33). Would we do that deal?

I believe I would do that deal. I think our defense got better and if we could Brown and keep our pick this year, I really think we would be a playoff team next year. And, next years pick would be in the 20’s anyway and we would find a all pro LT like Brown there anyway. 

So, yes I would do this trade.

18 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

I just don't see Brown acclimating to the ZBS.  I'd want my LT to be comfortable with the scheme.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

I just don't see Brown acclimating to the ZBS.  I'd want my LT to be comfortable with the scheme.

Then you change the scheme. The Vikings o-line isn’t good enough, or established enough to be married to the ZBS scheme. Using the ZBS scheme as a way of talking yourself out of obtaining an all pro left tackle seems like backward way to look at things. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Then you change the scheme. The Vikings o-line isn’t good enough, or established enough to be married to the ZBS scheme. Using the ZBS scheme as a way of talking yourself out of obtaining an all pro left tackle seems like backward way to look at things. 

I agree...but, I'm not sure the Vikings coaching staff would see it that way.

12 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

I agree...but, I'm not sure the Vikings coaching staff would see it that way.

If they are inquiring about Brown, which has been reported, then I don’t think they’re as set in their scheme as we may think. 

I look at how coaches like McVay and Kyle Shanahan have made up their offensive lines, and while both coaches run a ZBS similar to what Gary Kubiak did, they do it with much different player types. 

So, I don’t necessarily think that what we saw Gary Kubiak implement will be what Klint Kubiak implements. 

Edited by SemperFeist

On 4/7/2021 at 1:05 PM, SteelKing728 said:

It's funny but I don't think there's any way with PP, Alexander, and Dantzler here along with Hughes if he can get healthy.  Alexander has to be hungry for a much better payday if he plays well this year.

Trenches with the first 3 picks barring some unexpected fall that brings great value.

• Like 1

Of all the crazy numbers, Oweh  has to take the cake, right?    I'm not saying the Vikes take him at 14 . . . They need a hawg.   But, I don't think I can recall a prospect at 6' 5" over 250 lbs ever running sub 4.4 . . . Does anyone else?   

So, if there was never a day Andre Patterson screamed in his life, I bet its coming . . . Lol