2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

i'm looking at you, Denny Green, for drafting him when even his college coach said not to...

Yeah and a lot of people said the same thing when Denny Green and his staff took Randy Moss.  No don't do it, and he was only one of the greatest wide receivers to ever play football.

Underwood was what 6-6 300+ and built like a truck, and was the 29th pick in the 1st round so not like he was top 5 of something.  Because of his athletic ability had more upside than the likes of Patrick Kerney and Mike Rucker but both those guys turned out to be better long term defensive ends.  Underwood had some mental issues and really the NFL should do a better job with dealing with those issues when they appear, especially since some can be caused by the game itself from concussions.  

Since Rick Spielman took control of the team’s scouting and personnel department in 2007, the Vikings have used a 1st or 2nd round pick to draft at least one player from every position group...except for defensive end. 

Given the team’s history, and success, with drafting defensive ends in the 3rd and 4th round, it’s hard to see them drafting a defensive end in the 1st round, or finding their way back into the 2nd round to draft one. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Since Rick Spielman took control of the team’s scouting and personnel department in 2007, the Vikings have used a 1st or 2nd round pick to draft at least one player from every position group...except for defensive end. 

Given the team’s history, and success, with drafting defensive ends in the 3rd and 4th round, it’s hard to see them drafting a defensive end in the 1st round, or finding their way back into the 2nd round to draft one. 

Agreed, DE honestly is not a massive need, could argue backup DT is a bigger need than DE.  

If the Vikings do not go OL in the 1st round that would be a shock, only way they pass on OL is if DeVonta or Waddle fall or if they take Mac Jones because someone wants to trade for him.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I think hitting on the Griffen,Robison, and Hunter picks go a long way in that along with trading for Allen.  So unless they think Wonnum is right in line with those guys,  I could see them going EDGE in round 1.

Hunters health along with potential extension or trade could make a huge difference as well.

Biggest factor might just be depth of the class.  Paye/ Meinerz / Banks may be preferred vs Vera-Tucker/ Ogundeji/ Elerson Smith.  Really hard to say with all these guys this year.

Last thing might just be the fact that, if Hunter is healthy, they have 3/4 established quality starters on DL vs what the OL has going on.  Cleveland-Dozier-Bradbury-Cole/O'Neill sounds pretty shaky right now.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, DE honestly is not a massive need, could argue backup DT is a bigger need than DE.  

If the Vikings do not go OL in the 1st round that would be a shock, only way they pass on OL is if DeVonta or Waddle fall or if they take Mac Jones because someone wants to trade for him.  

I have grown less interested in taking any of the defensive ends at 14 as none of them seem worth it but it is a bigger need then DT we have two young drafted guys in Lynch and Watts along with our starters and none of them are free agents after this upcoming season to go with a really weak draft class.

18 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

I have grown less interested in taking any of the defensive ends at 14 as none of them seem worth it but it is a bigger need then DT we have two young drafted guys in Lynch and Watts along with our starters and none of them are free agents after this upcoming season to go with a really weak draft class.

I disagree, there is far more depth at DE than DT.

DE Hunter/ Holmes / Willekes / Brailford
DE Weatherly/ Wonnum/ Mata'afa

Watts I do not have a ton of faith in and Lynch not totally sold on him as a DT instead of more a jumbo DE, hell could maybe throw Lynch in at DE if he gets a little quicker and loses a few pounds. 

DE though Holmes could start opposite Hunter, so could Weatherly or Wonnum.  Mata'afa showed promise last year and Willekes could be decent if he can be healthy and Brailford looked decent late last year.  To me that is far more depth than at DT, but I think yeah they probably should draft a DE and a DT in this draft no question.  

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

I think hitting on the Griffen,Robison, and Hunter picks go a long way in that along with trading for Allen.  So unless they think Wonnum is right in line with those guys,  I could see them going EDGE in round 1.

Hunters health along with potential extension or trade could make a huge difference as well.

Biggest factor might just be depth of the class.  Paye/ Meinerz / Banks may be preferred vs Vera-Tucker/ Ogundeji/ Elerson Smith.  Really hard to say with all these guys this year.

Last thing might just be the fact that, if Hunter is healthy, they have 3/4 established quality starters on DL vs what the OL has going on.  Cleveland-Dozier-Bradbury-Cole/O'Neill sounds pretty shaky right now.

Agreed, that OL is rough if that is the starting group.

Cleveland-Dozier-Bradbury-Cole/O'Neill

There is zero chance that should be the starting group so you have to upgrade the talent at one if not two of those positions and a 1st rounder would be great.  But who knows maybe they have plans to move Hill in as a OT or even OG, same with Udoh.  

Ideally get a rookie who can compete at one of those guard spots then Dozier and Cole compete for the other OG spot, maybe get a LT instead of Cleveland but not sold on Cleveland staying at OG honestly but who knows.  Not sure he has the strength for it.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed, that OL is rough if that is the starting group.

Cleveland-Dozier-Bradbury-Cole/O'Neill

There is zero chance that should be the starting group so you have to upgrade the talent at one if not two of those positions and a 1st rounder would be great.  But who knows maybe they have plans to move Hill in as a OT or even OG, same with Udoh.  

Ideally get a rookie who can compete at one of those guard spots then Dozier and Cole compete for the other OG spot, maybe get a LT instead of Cleveland but not sold on Cleveland staying at OG honestly but who knows.  Not sure he has the strength for it.  

I've had the highest Hope's for Udoh working out somewhere.  I think he recently said he'd be trying out at OG but he may be feeling the heat that his roster spot may be in jeopardy.  I think they are waiting on the draft and maybe a late FA to decide on Cleveland. 

O’Neill - Cole - Bradbury - Cleveland - Hill

I’d bet money this is the penciled in starting offensive line before the draft. Certainly not something to be excited about. But, while the Vikings have positioned themselves where taking an o-lineman is necessary, they can be flexible as to whether it’s a tackle or guard. 

14 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

O’Neill - Cole - Bradbury - Cleveland - Hill

I’d bet money this is the penciled in starting offensive line before the draft. Certainly not something to be excited about. But, while the Vikings have positioned themselves where taking an o-lineman is necessary, they can be flexible as to whether it’s a tackle or guard. 

I'd almost flip Hill amd O'Neill.   Things are shaky enough without possibly making O'Neill regress by flipping sides.  Or make Hill and Udoh compete.

Given the addition of Tomlinson and the returns of Hunter, Pierce, and Weatherly, I feel like the DL is now lower on the priority list when considering the early picks.  Value is hard to define for some players, but that's what'll be reported when we pick a DE and DT this draft . . . just don't know which rounds that'll occur in.  DT talent and depth this year isn't all that impressive, to me. 

The OL seems to be the 90% choice for Rd 1, but there are some really good players at OG and OT that are slated to go in Rds 3 and 4, maybe even later.  I don't think the Vikes can have enough new bodies in the O-line room at OTAs and Camp.  So, stocking up on that depth of talent seems logical.  

Buuutttt, LB, Safety or CB could be the true target in Rd 1.  Looking at Moehrig, is he capable of taking the reigns in 3-4 years or sooner if Harrison calls it a day?   

7 hours ago, Ozzy said:

I disagree, there is far more depth at DE than DT.

DE Hunter/ Holmes / Willekes / Brailford
DE Weatherly/ Wonnum/ Mata'afa

Watts I do not have a ton of faith in and Lynch not totally sold on him as a DT instead of more a jumbo DE, hell could maybe throw Lynch in at DE if he gets a little quicker and loses a few pounds. 

DE though Holmes could start opposite Hunter, so could Weatherly or Wonnum.  Mata'afa showed promise last year and Willekes could be decent if he can be healthy and Brailford looked decent late last year.  To me that is far more depth than at DT, but I think yeah they probably should draft a DE and a DT in this draft no question.  

We have 2 very good DT's that are going to take maybe 70% of the reps. After Hunter we have a lot of questions at DE. Holmes and Mata'afa were and still could play DT. 

4 hours ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Buuutttt, LB, Safety or CB could be the true target in Rd 1.  Looking at Moehrig, is he capable of taking the reigns in 3-4 years or sooner if Harrison calls it a day?   

I hope we don't take a LB or a corner round one. Seems like a waste of a premium pick.