2021 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, moss_is_1 said:

I hope we don't take a LB or a corner round one. Seems like a waste of a premium pick. 

If Parsons is there that would be very hard to pass on a super athlete like that who would help great in terms of pass rush and tackling in space also increase overall defensive team speed.  

9 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

O’Neill - Cole - Bradbury - Cleveland - Hill

I’d bet money this is the penciled in starting offensive line before the draft. Certainly not something to be excited about. But, while the Vikings have positioned themselves where taking an o-lineman is necessary, they can be flexible as to whether it’s a tackle or guard. 

They better be using Hill or Udoh for as long as they have been around.  I would not hate that lineup but still OL has to be addressed 1st round most likely.  Not totally sold on Hill as a OT or Cleveland as a OG, I would not mind if they tried Hill at OG but doubt that happens.  Still Cole could be better as a OG than a C which is what he was always in Arizona I believe and was really out of position there.  .

57 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If Parsons is there that would be very hard to pass on a super athlete like that who would help great in terms of pass rush and tackling in space also increase overall defensive team speed.  

And don't forget that Barr is likely gone after the year.

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And don't forget that Barr is likely gone after the year.

Parsons often falls to the Vikings in my mock draft simulators. I usually take him as he’s a great value at 14 and due to Barr’s imminent departure. It would be an interesting decision for the Vikings If he’s available at 14. 

The offensive line going into the draft looks horrendous. I hate that the Vikings don't have something more reasonable before the draft. I see talk of Udoh and Hill. That is a dose of optimism that reminds me of the Dru Samia optimists, the Danny Isidora optimisits, TJ Clemmins optimists, David Yankey optimists, et cetera...  I don't keep track, but there is a fair chance there is a lot of overlap in those groups.

Purple colored shades is great and I love those people on game day, but this time of year it is more productive to consider things realistically IMO. Cleveland didn't look very good at OG. The current groups of linemen that people are mentioning look like an atrocious group to be going into the draft with. I  heavily lean as a BPA draft guy. I hate that the Vikings almost need to maneuver their way into getting offensive linemen with their first pick. It looks like failure to get at least one starting quality offensive lineman in the draft will be almost the same as admitting defeat for this season. 

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Trading Barr worsens the cap

That is true for 2021 if they trade Barr before June 1. I do not believe it is true if they trade Barr after June 1.

Trading Barr after June 1 also would mean that whatever they got in return for Barr wouldn't be in the 2021 NFL draft.

7 hours ago, marshpit23 said:

Parsons often falls to the Vikings in my mock draft simulators. I usually take him as he’s a great value at 14 and due to Barr’s imminent departure. It would be an interesting decision for the Vikings If he’s available at 14. 

Honestly Parsons falling that far is not very realistic.  Denver could want him, Detroit could, the Giants could, Philadelphia absolutely could as well.  If he does fall to the Vikings and if they are not totally in love with one of the OLs there, Jenkins, Vera-Tucker or Darrisaw yeah taking Parsons would be great and an obvious, especially if Slater is long gone which he probably will be.  Even with Barr on the team still those three could be something special and obviously provides insurance if Barr's time here is short via injury/trade/cut or not being resigned.  

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly Parsons falling that far is not very realistic.  

Any option other than probably 3 of the top QBs is somewhat realistic, especially when it comes to LBs and how they're used these days.  There aren't nearly as many teams who value traditional LBs like the Vikings do.  Any of those teams could want him, but it depends upon the value they place on them.

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Any option other than probably 3 of the top QBs is somewhat realistic, especially when it comes to LBs and how they're used these days.  There aren't nearly as many teams who value traditional LBs like the Vikings do.  Any of those teams could want him, but it depends upon the value they place on them.

True but Detroit lost a lot of their linebacker production/players and overall it is a weak group anyway.  Phili it is a very weak group even with Eric Wilson being signed, and Giants who knows, they need more a edge guy but Parsons could be a monster blitzer from the middle potentially.  

Only issue would be his character with that hazing incident but not sure how to read that one.  In terms of talent he is as talented as any LB to come into the NFL in 10 years almost not including edge players or 3/4 OLB.   I would say if he played this JR year he would have been higher rated than Devin White, Roquan Smith, Devin Bush, Termaine Edmunds, Anthony Barr etc.  Only ILB type guy I would have taken over him coming out of college would be Luke Kuechly over the last 10 years.  

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Honestly Parsons falling that far is not very realistic.  Denver could want him, Detroit could, the Giants could, Philadelphia absolutely could as well.  If he does fall to the Vikings and if they are not totally in love with one of the OLs there, Jenkins, Vera-Tucker or Darrisaw yeah taking Parsons would be great and an obvious, especially if Slater is long gone which he probably will be.  Even with Barr on the team still those three could be something special and obviously provides insurance if Barr's time here is short via injury/trade/cut or not being resigned.  

But Zimmer doesn't want three LBs on the field when his defense is run the way he wants it'll be in nickel most of the time and Barr is here this year so I can't see any LB as the best player available when they won't play them it's really more for next years draft.

19 minutes ago, solidvikingfan said:

But Zimmer doesn't want three LBs on the field when his defense is run the way he wants it'll be in nickel most of the time and Barr is here this year so I can't see any LB as the best player available when they won't play them it's really more for next years draft.

Maybe but honestly Geodeon played way more than he should and then Eric Wilson took his place for the most part so they play three LBs plenty, and if Parsons plays better he would literally take the spot of Barr.  Or he would make Barr up his level of play and pretty sure they could easily play all three, not like the base defense is nickel even though in the NFL it is treading that way.  Also could rotate the linebackers as well or put Barr on the edge as a pass rusher opposite Hunter and have Parsons then play the LB spot or vice versa.  

But yeah it would change, still I would be way more comfortable taking Parsons that high than say Paye, Rousseau or Phillips.  Between those three would love Phillips over Paye and Rousseau just on his potential but does have an awful injury history.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

The Vikings should attempt to come out of the draft with 3 offensive linemen who they believe can start or compete immediately. The O-line is the weakest spot by a mile, and improving it to average makes our offense potentially historical. 

True, but we both know deep down inside that isn't going to happen. We probably won't pick an O-line till round 4. 

Yes, I'm being a pessimist, but given that the Vikings have completely ignored it so far in free agency, they have given me no reason to think otherwise. 🤣

Edited by AP_allday2869