2021 Draft Talk

swede700

The great thing about this part of the year, and the NFL draft, is that everybody gets to state an opinion.  Everybody sees different characteristics in players that suggest they would be good, bad or mediocre.  That being said, in my opinion, comparing Jones to Ponder or Cousins or Chad Pennington or even Alex Smith (although I would have drafted Smith in a heartbeat...still would) I think is short-sighted.  If you compare Jones to anyone in recent NFL history compare him to Drew Brees.  I think that's his ceiling.  Brees needed New Orleans and Sean Payton just as much as the Saints needed him.  Are the Vikings the right team for Jones?  Perhaps...maybe not. I do agree with some who believe that Jones is the right fit in San Francisco.  He's just the kind of QB Shanahan likes running his offense. In the right setting, Jones could have a hell of a career.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

The great thing about this part of the year, and the NFL draft, is that everybody gets to state an opinion.  Everybody sees different characteristics in players that suggest they would be good, bad or mediocre.  That being said, in my opinion, comparing Jones to Ponder or Cousins or Chad Pennington or even Alex Smith (although I would have drafted Smith in a heartbeat...still would) I think is short-sighted.  If you compare Jones to anyone in recent NFL history compare him to Drew Brees.  I think that's his ceiling.  Brees needed New Orleans and Sean Payton just as much as the Saints needed him.  Are the Vikings the right team for Jones?  Perhaps...maybe not. I do agree with some who believe that Jones is the right fit in San Francisco.  He's just the kind of QB Shanahan likes running his offense. In the right setting, Jones could have a hell of a career.

I agree 100%.

if one of jamarr chase, jaylen waddle, devonta smith or kyle pitts drops to 14 how hard would it be for the vikings to pass on them?

i know the responsible thing is to take the best tackle available but the thought of putting a potentially elite receiver opposite jefferson while thielen slowly ages is very enticing. our offense using 12 and 21 personnel so often naturally creates more space for our receivers on the boundary. having elite talents there almost guarantees that we'll have an explosive offense. 

it's all moot because there's probably a 1% chance one of those guys will be available but a guy can dream right?

17 minutes ago, whitehops said:

if one of jamarr chase, jaylen waddle, devonta smith or kyle pitts drops to 14 how hard would it be for the vikings to pass on them?

i know the responsible thing is to take the best tackle available but the thought of putting a potentially elite receiver opposite jefferson while thielen slowly ages is very enticing. our offense using 12 and 21 personnel so often naturally creates more space for our receivers on the boundary. having elite talents there almost guarantees that we'll have an explosive offense. 

it's all moot because there's probably a 1% chance one of those guys will be available but a guy can dream right?

I actually hope one of them does fall just because I know the phone would be ringing off the hook and we would be picking up a 2nd round pick. 

Or better yet, Baltimore would call and trade up and give us Orlando Brown jr. and pick 27. I would add other picks just to make this happen too..

2 hours ago, whitehops said:

Waddle, Chase and Pitts are gone for sure by then. Smith possible.

3 hours ago, whitehops said:

It can't be that unlikely that 1 of them will be there.  Most people expect 4 maybe 5 QBs to go by then.  If you throw in a couple offensive lineman,  that's already 10 or 11 counting those 4 and I'm sure there will be a surprise or 2 and I'm probably missing a few can't miss prospects at different positions that will likely be gone by then

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

It's hard to develop QBs if they can't get reps in practice or games. This is why a developmental league would do wonders for the NFL. Even if it operates at a loss, it would be beneficial to the overall quality of the NFL product. Plus, the NFL can afford a little bit of a loss. 

If I was the NFL, I'd operate a spring league. Sixteen teams total, all located in Florida and Arizona (like MLB spring training). No playoffs. No championship. The league would only exist for players to get game reps. No player who played more than 100 snaps for their NFL team would be eligible. Each team gets to option one Quarterback to a team. Teams could pick which position players they wanted to option to the spring league, and the league could then draft them. Each spring league team has to start their two NFL optioned QBs every other week (I'd do the same with Kickers and Punters too). The coaches and staffs would all come from NFL staffs. 

10 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

This is, imo, why picking a QB past round 2 is a complete waste of a draft pick. Complete. Utter. Don't do it.

It's not a complete waste, but the Vikings' problem has been that they haven't developed anyone to even be a #2.  Heinicke could have been the only time that happened, but then he had to kick in a window.

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Tommy Doyle sounds like an intriguing mid round OT to develop. And he’s one of us!

Yeah I have brought him up a few times, really interesting no question.  Huge kid 6-8 320 and apparently a good athlete, still cannot find his pro day numbers but would love him in the 4th or 5th round.  

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

Thanks for finding that!  I type in Miami Ohio Pro day and Tommy Doyle Pro day on google and nothing really came up for weeks.

24 reps at 225, 32" vertical, 5.12 40 time, 7.42 3 cone....at 6-8 320.  Very solid numbers for him, helps that he is so tall which does come into play with that RAS score if you perform well.  Damn impressive, hell he could be gone 2nd round with those numbers, Vikings might need to take him with their 1st pick in the 3rd to get a shot at him.  Just an added plus he is a local kid as well.