2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

No offensive guards? Cleveland played well this game, but Dozier is still starting at the other guard spot. Cleveland may also move to tackle next year.

Keep Cleveland at RG and look to Free Agency for a LG. We don't have a 2nd round pick (even though I think we will trade up for one) so that'll impact how we approach the draft.

We usually make one big Free Agency signing. Might as well be a LG.

Until Reiff is officially no longer a part of this roster, LT doesn’t fall in the need category. 

3 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Cleveland may also move to tackle next year.

While it’s certainly possible, I just don’t see any reason to believe that this staff views Cleveland as a tackle. 

• Like 1

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Until Reiff is officially no longer a part of this roster, LT doesn’t fall in the need category. 

While it’s certainly possible, I just don’t see any reason to believe that this staff views Cleveland as a tackle. 

The pretty clear reason to believe the staff views Cleveland as a tackle is that they had him practicing there. It wasn't simply an offseason experiment either. They had him practicing there during the season.  That doesn't mean they view him as a tackle but it is reason to believe they may view him as a tackle. They are certainly open to the possibility of Cleveland playing tackle.

Just now, SemperFeist said:

I suppose LT is not a need till Reiff is gone, but I assume making Reiff go bye bye is not that hard to do.   If they are around in the draft and they pass on Jackson Carman, Jalen Mayfield or Alex Leatherwood and keep Reiff, that is just straight up stupid.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I suppose LT is not a need till Reiff is gone, but I assume making Reiff go bye bye is not that hard to do.   If they are around in the draft and they pass on Jackson Carman, Jalen Mayfield or Alex Leatherwood and keep Reiff, that is just straight up stupid.  

Even if Reiff is around LT is a need. The team should not wait for him to be gone to draft his replacement. Given his age and contract status LT is a certain imminent need that needs to be considered highly in the draft. Reiff's presence is not going to change that. What could change that is if the team think's they already have his successor on the roster. There is reason to believe they do think that too since they gave Reiff the pay reduction or cut ultimatum before the season.

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

With how he's performed at RG these coaches would be silly trying to move him anywhere else. 

8 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

Even if Reiff is around LT is a need. The team should not wait for him to be gone to draft his replacement. Given his age and contract status LT is a certain imminent need that needs to be considered highly in the draft. Reiff's presence is not going to change that. What could change that is if the team think's they already have his successor on the roster. There is reason to believe they do think that too since they gave Reiff the pay reduction or cut ultimatum before the season.

Possibly they have Reiff's replacement on the roster in Cleveland, but to me prospect wise, no way on earth is Ezra Cleveland a better prospect than Jackson Carman, Jalen Mayfield or Alex Leatherwood.  So if any of them are around and if the top QBs are all gone, it would be foolish to not take them, I would rather stick Cleveland at OG than not draft one of those three potential stud OTs.

DT is a possibility as well but not sure Wilson or Twyman are worth that high of a selection based on Twyman not playing this season and Wilson just being ok out there so far this year.  

7 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Possibly they have Reiff's replacement on the roster in Cleveland, but to me prospect wise, no way on earth is Ezra Cleveland a better prospect than Jackson Carman, Jalen Mayfield or Alex Leatherwood.  So if any of them are around and if the top QBs are all gone, it would be foolish to not take them, I would rather stick Cleveland at OG than not draft one of those three potential stud OTs.

DT is a possibility as well but not sure Wilson or Twyman are worth that high of a selection based on Twyman not playing this season and Wilson just being ok out there so far this year.  

There are needs in other areas like QB, 3DT, and possibly CB that would be higher needs than LT.  Rieff has been lights out this year and at a reduced salary.  His 2021 cap number is $13M which is a bargain at the level he has been playing.  I also believe Cleveland is viewed as the LT of the future.  Not saying they won't take a tackle if they feel it is the best value, I just think there are other needs.

44 minutes ago, rf54 said:

There are needs in other areas like QB, 3DT, and possibly CB that would be higher needs than LT.  Rieff has been lights out this year and at a reduced salary.  His 2021 cap number is $13M which is a bargain at the level he has been playing.  I also believe Cleveland is viewed as the LT of the future.  Not saying they won't take a tackle if they feel it is the best value, I just think there are other needs.

Do you know what the board could look like picks 7-15?  You take Surtain or Wade up at say 9 that is too high, you get Carman, Leatherwood or Mayfield at 9 that is a flat out steal.  You take Twyman or Wilson at 9 or 10 that is a reach, you get those tackles there it is a flat out steal.  To say OL is not a problem for this team, well it is.  Sure QB is a problem but if Lawrence, Fields and Lance are gone no way I am taking Zach Wilson at 9 overall instead of a potentially great OT.  

Sure they have needs but it is about the board and about how rare and elite a prospect is, and where they fall.  The corners in this draft are good but 2022 they are arguably better, the QBs are good but if they are not available, no freaking way I take a DT higher than he should be over one of those elite level tackles.  Sure would love to take a DT there but right now no DT is worth taking that high based on how they have played currently.  

Of course Cleveland is viewed right now as the LT for the future, but I say again no way is he better long term than any of those tackles I mentioned.  Oh and Leatherwood could arguably play OG as well so he is not only a better LT than Cleveland he is probably a better OG as well.  Sounds easy sure get another position but it is about who is the best at that spot and the value they have.  Maybe the tackles would be all gone by then but my guess is they are not.  Especially with Sewell, Pitts, Waddle, Parsons and Chase all being targeted high, along with the three QBs.  So one of those three OTs could drop.  Doubt anyone takes any DT top 10 honestly unless someone really breaks out.  Same could maybe be said for CB as well.

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Do you know what the board could look like picks 7-15?  You take Surtain or Wade up at say 9 that is too high, you get Carman, Leatherwood or Mayfield at 9 that is a flat out steal.  You take Twyman or Wilson at 9 or 10 that is a reach, you get those tackles there it is a flat out steal.  To say OL is not a problem for this team, well it is.  Sure QB is a problem but if Lawrence, Fields and Lance are gone no way I am taking Zach Wilson at 9 overall instead of a potentially great OT.  

In this scenario they need to try and trade down, without a 2nd round they would have no shot at a quality QB until the 3rd round and that is far to late.