2021 Draft Talk

swede700

So is Ben Cleveland almost a guaranteed pick for the Vikings in the 3rd round?  Seems like a great fit potentially and a great value especially if they got OT in the 1st round.  Even if they do not getting two OGs provides the ability to for sure move Cleveland to his potentially better position as a OT. 

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Random draft thought, I’d rather see the Vikings draft Christian Barmore at 14 than any of the defensive ends in this class.

Really?  DT is almost off the table with Tomlinson and Pierce on the roster.  I like Barmore a lot and he would help with depth but his pro day workout was not amazing, love him as a player but might be more of a 3/4 DE than a 4/3 DT.  And I would take Phillips all day over Barmore, could possibly throw Rousseau in that mix also but #14 seems a bit high for him now.  Sure it could work potentially but just not sure he is worth a #14 pick overall.  Still taking a DL 1st round just does not seem right when that OL is so bad right now.  

Taking Barmore over any of the DEs is more of a comment on how I feel about this year’s class of edge rushers. Jaelan Phillips is the only one I’d have a 1st round grade on based on his talent. But the medical concerns surrounding him knock him down a bit for me.

But I also recognize what Barmore could do as a rotational piece in the middle of the defense. The Vikings like to rotate their defensive tackles a lot more than they do with their defensive ends. When you go back over the Zimmer era and look at snap counts, the highest snap count for an IDL is 69.8%, while most years the IDL range mostly between 55% and 65%. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Random draft thought, I’d rather see the Vikings draft Christian Barmore at 14 than any of the defensive ends in this class.

I'm glad you're not the Vikings GM. one year wonder DT over Kwitty Paye or Phillips?

I'm going against the grain and have you guys going with a corner for the billionth year. CB Jaycee Horn in the 1st. The 3 big OT's are off the board with Sewell at 5, Slater at 8, and Darrisaw at 13. No other OT is worth pick 14. And not sure why some like Barmore at 14, he's a 2nd Round Player imo. I'd be slightly surprised if he went in the 1st on draft day, maybe the last few picks.

In the 3rd Round I have you guys getting OG Trey Smith (sub Cleveland if you want) who should be an instant starter, and Developmental OT Spencer Brown. 

Edited by BayRaider

The Vikings don’t really have a 1st round need at CB. With Peterson, Dantzler, Alexander, Hughes, and Boyd they still have a solid group of corners even with uncertainty surrounding Gladney. 

And I still don’t see Horn as a better player than Vera-Tucker. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The Vikings don’t really have a 1st round need at CB. With Peterson, Dantzler, Alexander, Hughes, and Boyd they still have a solid group of corners even with uncertainty surrounding Gladney. 

And I still don’t see Horn as a better player than Vera-Tucker. 

Agreed, would love Spencer Brown in the 3rd but he is most likely gone in the 2nd round.  Horn is good but take out his Auburn tape this past year and he was nothing special, could argue most of his career highlights all three years came in that Auburn game this past season.  Only two INTs of his three year career came in that one game and 4 of his 6 PDs that season came in that game as well.  Fact is in his career he got beat a ton, good potential but is not worth a #14 pick overall.

If we are going completely what is that pick that normally is not seen, would probably be Teven Jenkins and I would be happy with that no question about it.  He or Alex Leatherwood ;o)

If Surtain were there I think it would be hard pressed not to say he's the best available but Horn does not fit my general idea of what Zimmer feels about drafting Cbs and by extension Spielman drafting for what Zimmer would do with his defense which is also why I don't think Parsons would be a BPA for this team along with Zimmer being a big Anthony Barr fan.

On 4/23/2021 at 4:30 PM, SemperFeist said:

For some hypothetical fun, let’s say that Devonta Smith is available at 14. And for the sake of argument, Sewell, Slater, and AVT are the linemen off the board. 

Baltimore offers picks 27 and 31 in exchange for 14 and 78. 

Yay, or nay?

Yay, would totally dig the other 5th year option.