2021 Draft Talk

swede700

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

In other words, I tend to agree with what the Seahawks have done this year, which is essentially punt on the draft by only having 3 picks.  Hell, if I were the Vikings, if I didn't use draft picks to trade up, I'd use draft picks to acquire picks for next year.  This is a draft where I want to lessen my exposure to the randomness.  If I want to have any randomness, I can wait and sign UDFAs.  I don't want to tie myself to as many players out of this draft as I normally do.

That also seems reasonable to me. That said, I'd do that most years....if anyone will give me a 4th next year for a 5th this year (any year), I'd do that every time. (that's an example, btw....)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

I have to admit, I would not feel comfortable as 49ers fan after that press conference today. 

Apparently the 49ers send smoke screens a lot and they are probably correct in saying they would be happy with any of the 5 top QBs in this draft.  Two are not an option most believe so those are really off the table, the next three they like them all so not a bad thing, but clearly they know who they want and will take but will play stupid and say they do not know and like them all, but again I am sure they would be happy with any of the five which I can believe.  

• Like 2

Sending smoke when you’re the team that is essentially on the clock just sounds like indecisiveness. John Lynch sounded like he was already deflecting the decision to Shanahan, and Shanahan started to get defensive in some of his answers. 

Even worse, why even call a press conference? If you’ve made your decision, and you’re comfortable with that decision, just stay quiet and make the pick. Why call a press conference where all you really do is come across as preparing the fan base to brace themselves for your decision. 

6 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Sending smoke when you’re the team that is essentially on the clock just sounds like indecisiveness. John Lynch sounded like he was already deflecting the decision to Shanahan, and Shanahan started to get defensive in some of his answers. 

Even worse, why even call a press conference? If you’ve made your decision, and you’re comfortable with that decision, just stay quiet and make the pick. Why call a press conference where all you really do is come across as preparing the fan base to brace themselves for your decision. 

I'm 90% sure the NFL is pushing the 49ers not to give much away because they want intrigue and drama. 

5 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

I'm 90% sure the NFL is pushing the 49ers not to give much away because they want intrigue and drama. 

I’m sure they don’t. But it’s not like Jacksonville or the Jets are out there telling the world who they’re taking. Staying quiet would create just as much intrigue. 

It’s almost as if the 49ers are leaking out information to crowd source their decision. Again, it’s not the speculation from the fans/media that I find so peculiar about this pick, it’s the 49ers’ reaction to that speculation. 

Edited by SemperFeist

29 minutes ago, VikeManDan said:

Underwhelming Pro Day performance as well. Late day 3 still seems like a stretch to me though.

If he's there in the 5th I'd take him for sure.  His article said Tre McKitty and John Bates are on the rise and I've liked what I've read on both those guys as well.

1 hour ago, NoDakViking said:

If he's there in the 5th I'd take him for sure.  His article said Tre McKitty and John Bates are on the rise and I've liked what I've read on both those guys as well.

Yeah, I wouldn't take a TE any earlier than that. Smith and Conklin are a nice duo.