2021 Draft Talk

swede700

19 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

In a situation where Trey Lance falls to 14 and let's say Slater and Sewell are gone for sure, would you consider Lance?

Now, what about if Darrisaw (or AVT) whomever your #3 OL is gone, would you consider Lance?

If Trey Lance were available at 14, or even available via trade up, I’d take him over anyone not named Justin Fields. 

• Like 1

My final mock of 2021:

TRADE: MN trades #14 to NO for #28, #60 and a NO's 2022 2nd Round Pick.

(28): Trevon Moehrig - S . I gambled on trading back and trying to pick up Teven Jenkins in the 1st, but he went a couple of picks before. However, I added a potential game changing safety to pair with Harry for years to come. Safety certainly wasn't our top need, but with the way the board fell, his value was far better than what was left at DE or OL.

(60): Quinn Meinerz - OG. After missing out on Jenkins, I selected the top O-lineman left. Meinerz has all of the physical ability in the world. His athleticism and showing at the Sr. Bowl shows me that he can elevate his game against better competition. 

TRADE: KC trades #63 to MN for #78 and #119

(63): Liam Eichenberg - OT. I struggled with Meinerz and Eichenberg, so I decided to move up to get both of them. The team could use an upgrade at 2 spots on the line. Eichenberg ticks all the boxes for a potential LT. He has good size and could add more weight. He's a very good athlete, and he's played good competition.  A potential OL of Eichenberg, Meinerz, Bradbury, Cleveland, O'Neill gives the Vikings a chance to have one of the youngest and best lines in the league for half a decade or more.

(90): Elerson Smith - DE. Solid athlete with excellent size and the ability to get bigger. I think he can be a prototypical 4-3 DE. He needs some work, but will be a solid addition to the D-line.

(125): Tutu Atwell - WR. Smaller than Tyreek Hill, but he's got great speed and excellent return ability. He's a gadget guy who can develop into a solid contributor in the slot.

(143): Bobby Brown - DT. Solid athlete who will provide depth at the 3-technique and could develop into a starter.

NOTE: I accepted a couple more trades, but forgot what the compensation was.

(154): Charles Snowden - LB. Unspectacular but steady. Will contribute on special teams immediately and could grow into a starting role down the line.

(157): Rodarius Williams - CB. Cornerback with pedigree (Greedy's brother) and decent size. Good enough athlete to develop into a 3rd or 4th CB.

(168): Shakur Brown - CB. Smaller CB than we typically see, but I think he could develop into a solid slot CB. We only have Alexander back on a 1-year deal.

(182): Chauncy Golston - DE. Developmental pass rusher

(184): Dazz Newsome - WR. Another guy who can compete for a WR and returner spot.

(199): Briley Moore - TE. Decent receiver, decent blocker. Not great at either. Pretty perfect for a #3 TE.

(206): Jose Borregales - K. He's the highest rated kicker in the draft. The team takes a flier to see if we can solidify a headache spanning 3 decades. 

Now, just about 10 hours until I'm proven a prophet...

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

In a situation where Trey Lance falls to 14 and let's say Slater and Sewell are gone for sure, would you consider Lance?

Now, what about if Darrisaw (or AVT) whomever your #3 OL is gone, would you consider Lance?

Nope. I would listen for trade offers, or just take Darrisaw or AVT. Whoever they have ranked higher...

1 hour ago, The Gnat said:

You take absolutely take Lance if you have him evaluated as a potential Franchise QB. And I'd do it if my #3 O-lineman was still there too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SemperFeist said:

If Trey Lance were available at 14, or even available via trade up, I’d take him over anyone not named Justin Fields. 

Agreed. I wouldn’t have to think twice about it. If one of those QBs fall, you have to pull the trigger. Not interested in Jones as much though. 

Lot's of talking heads notice a drop off in oline potential after round one.  If I am trading up in round one it's only for Sewell or Slater.  Since Lawrence is going to Jax...I'm all about the oline in the first round.

3 hours ago, The Gnat said:

While I'm not overly excited to pick a QB this year knowing it has likely less benefit record wise than an OL/DL (or good prospect at a different position), I wouldnt be all that upset with the top 5 QBs falling to the Vikings and them selecting one.

I'm not sure they'll be in any great place to pick a QB, and even the years they seem to be somewhat in positions for QBs they dont happen to occur in good QB drafts or they always go before the Vikings picks, so I think if you get a chance at Lance or Fields you take it.

I also feel like I'm probably more "Pro-Cousins" than most are in MN, but even I can acknowledge that its worth a Rodgers-Love situation in this case... considering Cousins is NOT a HoF QB with several years of top QB play left.

All that said... if the Vikings got some crazy deal to trade down from another team wanting to move up to select one of the QB's that has slid down the board then definitely take it, because I think they could use several high picks to secure starters at various positions.

I like the question and think its an important one to consider given the talk of a potential slide for Lance and Fields (both I believe would be a top 10 pick in most any other draft).

Edited by Ares Caesar
  • Like 2