2021 Draft Talk

swede700

On 11/12/2020 at 4:07 PM, Ozzy said:

And you are really really biased.  Anyone that does not think Oklahoma players walk on water, you call it a "bad take". 

Despite your opinion otherwise, I'm very capable of separating my fanhood from my evaluations.  You're more than welcome to look back at my history, and you'll notice I've only given out TWO 1st round grades to Sooners in the last 5 years.  They include CeeDee Lamb and Kenneth Murray.  If you want to go back further, I gave DGB, Jordan Phillips, Lane Johnson, Gerald McCoy, Sam Bradford, Jermaine Gresham, and Trent Williams since 2010.  I was lukewarm on Baker Mayfield, skiddish on Kyler Murray, etc.  I believe with the exception of Jordan Phillips, they were all top 40 picks.

On 11/12/2020 at 4:07 PM, Ozzy said:

Both are similar in size, similar build, both are very quick and athletic, King is arguably better side to side quickness making defenders miss in the open field and Murray has better straight line speed and acceleration.  No one thought Murray was going to be the #1 pick overall either months before the draft.  Put the kid in the right system and it would be stupid to not believe he could do some things Kyler has done in the league.  Sure he is a poor mans Kyler Murray but they are not that far off or that different from each other in how they play the game.

D'Eriq King was a non-prospect at Houston.  We were talking about him needing to transition to either RB or WR if he wanted to play in the NFL.  Now he's some 7 games into his career with Miami, and he's now a legitimate QB prospect?  Give me a break.  He's posting nearly identical numbers that he did in 2018.  He's closer to Braxton Miller than he is Kyler Murray.

48 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Kyle Trask is such a Bears QB. He's meant to play for that team.

Also, the Michigan QB just managed to throw an interception with no receiver within 15 yards of him.

He is absolutely tearing it up again.  

11 hours ago, rf54 said:

He is absolutely tearing it up again.  

Again, good college QB but I just don't think he'll be a good one in the NFL. Maybe that could change with the right team and coaching but I'm pessimistic with him.

Maybe its the footwork, or slow processing, but i've seen quite a few of his passes come out very wonky, thrown behind the receiver or just off target.

I need to watch more, especially when it comes to facing pressure and his mobility.

I think he falls to round 2-3. I have Lawrence, Fields, Lance and Wilson all well above him. I need to watch more Mac Jones to see where I'd rank him.

10 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Again, good college QB but I just don't think he'll be a good one in the NFL. Maybe that could change with the right team and coaching but I'm pessimistic with him.

Maybe its the footwork, or slow processing, but i've seen quite a few of his passes come out very wonky, thrown behind the receiver or just off target.

I need to watch more, especially when it comes to facing pressure and his mobility.

I think he falls to round 2-3. I have Lawrence, Fields, Lance and Wilson all well above him. I need to watch more Mac Jones to see where I'd rank him.

last year I would agree but this year he has cleaned everything up and looks like a top pick,  Reminds me of Burrow's senior season.  he is very sharp and will be a first rd QB.  I has said it before, all the QBs after Lawrence and Fields can be taken in any order.

Well  with the 4th win we are out of the top 10 and probably have no chance  at Wilson or Lance now.  As it stands now that would leave the Vikings with  Trask Jones, Newman or someone else as QB prospects available.

My QB big board right now;

1 Trevor Lawrence 6-6, 220 Clemson JR
2 Justin Fields 6-3, 228 Ohio State JR
3 Trey Lance 6-4, 226 North Dakota State RSO (1 game season)
4 Zach Wilson 6-3, 210 Brigham Young JR
5 Kyle Trask 6-5, 240 Florida SR
6 Mac Jones 6-3, 214 Alabama JR
7 Jamie Newman 6-4, 230 Wake Forest SR (Declared/Opted Out)
8 Joe Milton 6-5, 243 Michigan RSO

I think after 1 & 2, throw the rest in a bag and draw them out like lottery  balls, they could end up in any order...  

5 maybe 6 will go in the first round.

41 minutes ago, rf54 said:

Well  with the 4th win we are out of the top 10 and probably have no chance  at Wilson or Lance now.  As it stands now that would leave the Vikings with  Trask Jones, Newman or someone else as QB prospects available.

My QB big board right now;

1 Trevor Lawrence 6-6, 220 Clemson JR
2 Justin Fields 6-3, 228 Ohio State JR
3 Trey Lance 6-4, 226 North Dakota State RSO (1 game season)
4 Zach Wilson 6-3, 210 Brigham Young JR
5 Kyle Trask 6-5, 240 Florida SR
6 Mac Jones 6-3, 214 Alabama JR
7 Jamie Newman 6-4, 230 Wake Forest SR (Declared/Opted Out)
8 Joe Milton 6-5, 243 Michigan RSO

I think after 1 & 2, throw the rest in a bag and draw them out like lottery  balls, they could end up in any order...  

5 maybe 6 will go in the first round.

Jamie Newman I would be shocked if he declared, he did not play this season so not sure what he would be declaring for.  No clue why he did not play, sure there is a risk, there is a risk for everyone but if he wanted to be a top flight QB prospect in the 2021 draft he should have played on Georgia this season when they needed it.  And yeah Joe Milton is not a good QB at this point and needs to come back to school, no way he declares early.  Sure looked good against the awful Gophers defense with little to no pass rush, safeties who are not good and corners who cannot make plays on the ball.   Phil Jurkovec has a better chance of declaring than Milton but both probably should not come out.  

Mac Jones I feel is better than Kyle Trask and Zach Wilson and will have the chance to prove it possibly when Bama plays Florida in the SEC title.  He throws such a great deep ball.  Trask has been great though as well and is better than Zach Wilson last year and this year.   

On 11/15/2020 at 8:13 PM, SemperFeist said:

Sign me up for Liam Eichenberg

Not sure how elite he is though, he is arguably the best OL on a fine Notre Dame offensive line, Leatherwood, Carman and Mayfield are all more elite prospects than him though no doubt and not sure Liam is a 1st rounder.  Could argue Alaric Jackson on Iowa is a better prospect as well and more versatile because he could play multiple positions.  Some underrated OGs would be Dan Moore Jr who could play RT as well, Zion Johnson who also has OT versatility and Conner Olson has played well for Minnesota and has center versatility as well could be a nice 5th to 6th round pick.  

On 11/14/2020 at 5:10 PM, JDBrocks said:

Tommy Tremble : Nick Boyle

Yeah I could see Tremble becoming a FB in some offenses as well, kind of like a Juszczyk type guy possibly or a HB type who can do a variety of things.  Is a hell of a blocker and love watching him go after it.  Blocking in motion and down field, not at the point of attack so much but moving, Miller Forristall on Bama is one of the best in the nation at that but does have an injury history.  

And in the future Darnell Washington on Georgia is a massive dude and has showed blocking promise at TE as a FR and so has JJ Pegues who arguably has athletic ability to possibly be another Jason Peters in the future, another former TE in college that turned ok in the NFL and is now a HOF player most likely when it is all said and done.  

What's everyone's opinion on draft strategy this year? Looks like a good QB class, do try to take our QB of the future or try to give Kirk even more to work with? I figure we will be picking mid teens to early 20s. My ideal scenario would be if Trey Lance was there when we pick. Let him learn for a couple years behind Kirk then take over. 

28 minutes ago, vikings209 said:

What's everyone's opinion on draft strategy this year? Looks like a good QB class, do try to take our QB of the future or try to give Kirk even more to work with? I figure we will be picking mid teens to early 20s. My ideal scenario would be if Trey Lance was there when we pick. Let him learn for a couple years behind Kirk then take over. 

While I certainly would want a young QB to develop for a year, I'm pretty much banking on the priority being the offensive and defensive lines.  If we have to wait until 2022 to take a young QB (the names I'm seeing are Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Spencer Rattler and Jayden Daniels) then so be it.