2021 Draft Talk

swede700

52 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You're never out of contention for a franchise QB if you're willing to pay the price.  

Not many are. I don't think Spielman is. Nor do I trust him to find the one, unless a generational talent falls into his lap.

I think you have to continue to build through the trenches until that time.

For the foreseeable future, the Vikings aren't going to be in the position to draft an early 1st round QBOTF.  The Vikings are going to have to look for that rare diamond in the rough that comes about every so often.  Someone like Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.  Could be the Jags have found one in Jake Luton, if they don't royally screw him up.  He could develop into a half decent quarterback.  I want to move on from Cousins as soon as possible.  I believe we've seen his ceiling and it's a lower ceiling than the Super Bowl.  Let's not forget the only Viking QB's to lead the team to the Super Bowl was a Cal product who started his pro career in Canada, and a 3rd round draft choice from Georgia thought to be to small and to much of a quirky scrambler to do much at the professional level.

1 hour ago, Virginia Viking said:

For the foreseeable future, the Vikings aren't going to be in the position to draft an early 1st round QBOTF.  The Vikings are going to have to look for that rare diamond in the rough that comes about every so often.  Someone like Tom Brady or Russell Wilson.  Could be the Jags have found one in Jake Luton, if they don't royally screw him up.  He could develop into a half decent quarterback.  I want to move on from Cousins as soon as possible.  I believe we've seen his ceiling and it's a lower ceiling than the Super Bowl.  Let's not forget the only Viking QB's to lead the team to the Super Bowl was a Cal product who started his pro career in Canada, and a 3rd round draft choice from Georgia thought to be to small and to much of a quirky scrambler to do much at the professional level.

Maybe we should go after the Cincinnati QB.

With 7 games left it looks like the Vikings will be out of the top 10, right now they are in a coin flip for #12.  That said, they are most likely out of reach of drafting a QB in the first.  If so what do they do for QB going forward?  Trask is an option as well as Mac Jones but not sure if they are first round material. 

Another possibility is trading for a QB to get a year behind Kirk and begin coaching him up.  Darnold will be on the trade block for sure and could be had probably for a mid round pick. 

Other possibilities are FA QBs like Winston but you are buying someone else throw aways.

Could wait for 2022 but just no guarantees you will be in any better position to draft a top QB then.

Edited by rf54

2 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

Remember, QBs do drop in the 1st throughout the process. Did anyone expect Teddy to fall to 1.32 in the middle of his final season at Louisville?

Yes they do but the Vikes are dropping in the draft as well.  I have hope, but I pose the question because after the top 2 QB prospects are gone the rest begin having holes or blemishes.  This could be the best QB draft since the 1983 draft but very very rarely are there 2 or more franchise QBs in a draft.

If the Vikings pick in the 13-17 range, I'd be totally on board with them getting aggressive to get "their guy." That would likely entail trading at least one first round pick and a some other compensation.  If their in that 15-20 range, I'm also fine with them staying put for a boom/bust guy. If they're in the 20 or above range, and there's a guy they'd take in the 2nd round, I'd be fine with them reaching there and taking him. I've said numerous times that you need to draft a QB every couple of years to keep those cheap rookie contracts coming, but that HAS to start this year. 

If Cousins is on the roster by the time that the draft rolls around, he’ll be on this team through the 2022 season. At that point it doesn’t make sense to use a 1st round pick on a QB and waste two years of the cheap contract. 

If Cousins is on the roster you just continue to build the team around him and use that 1st rounder on a player who’ll, hopefully, make a day one impact. 

Grab a QB to develop with one of the multiple mid round picks and hopefully get lucky like Seattle, Dallas, or even Washington. 

10 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If Cousins is on the roster by the time that the draft rolls around, he’ll be on this team through the 2022 season. At that point it doesn’t make sense to use a 1st round pick on a QB and waste two years of the cheap contract. 

If Cousins is on the roster you just continue to build the team around him and use that 1st rounder on a player who’ll, hopefully, make a day one impact. 

Grab a QB to develop with one of the multiple mid round picks and hopefully get lucky like Seattle, Dallas, or even Washington. 

Just because he’s on the team doesn’t mean he needs to be the one playing. While a mega million dollar backup QB isn’t ideal, you don’t pass on a guy who could be “the guy” because you have Kirk Cousins on your roster. Look at Green Bay - they have a HOFer with multiple years on his contract. They drafted his successor. Cousins is not Aaron Rodgers. 

23 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

Cousins is not Aaron Rodgers.

Exactly. 

If Rodgers has a bad game, hell a bad quarter, no one is going to turn on him. The stadium isn’t going to start chanting “we want Jordan”. The locker room isn’t going to be looking at Jordan Love as Rodgers inevitable replacement. 

That won’t be the case in Minnesota with Cousins. Cousins isn’t near retirement, he’s not a Hall of Famer. A highly drafted QB won’t be viewed as an understudy and eventual successor. They’ll be viewed as his replacement. Because that is what he is. 

Teams with future Hall of Fame QBs, or solid QBs nearing retirement, have the luxury of planning ahead. The Vikings aren’t in that position. And turning Cousins into a two year lame duck QB isn’t good for the locker room. 

While a mega million dollar backup QB isn’t ideal

Sort of defeats the entire purpose of having a starter on a rookie contract, and the benefits that come with it. 

you don’t pass on a guy who could be “the guy”

This is such an over used statement that it’s simply a cliche at this point. Every year QBs come out, and every year teams claim that he’s “the guy”. Heck, Arizona traded up for Josh Rosen and said he’s “the guy” only a year later to make Kyler Murray “the guy”.

Outside of Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields, every other QB prospect is just as much of “the guy” as the QB prospects who come out next year, or the year after that, or the year after that will be. 

The Vikings are going to know their draft position, and they’ll have gone through a good portion of the draft process before they need to make a decision on Cousins. If they feel that there are QBs who would be better for this team come draft day, they can make the decision on Cousins. But if they don’t, and they don’t move Cousins. Then they need to continue to build the roster for a Cousins led team. 

Edited by SemperFeist

17 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Exactly. 

If Rodgers has a bad game, hell a bad quarter, no one is going to turn on him. The stadium isn’t going to start chanting “we want Jordan”. The locker room isn’t going to be looking at Jordan Love as Rodgers inevitable replacement. 

That won’t be the case in Minnesota with Cousins. Cousins isn’t near retirement, he’s not a Hall of Famer. A highly drafted QB won’t be viewed as an understudy and eventual successor. They’ll be viewed as his replacement. Because that is what he is. 

Teams with future Hall of Fame QBs, or solid QBs nearing retirement, have the luxury of planning ahead. The Vikings aren’t in that position. And turning Cousins into a two year lame duck QB isn’t good for the locker room. 

Sort of defeats the entire purpose of having a starter on a rookie contract, and the benefits that come with it. 

This is such an over used statement that it’s simply a cliche at this point. Every year QBs come out, and every year teams claim that he’s “the guy”. Heck, Arizona traded up for Josh Rosen and said he’s “the guy” only a year later to make Kyler Murray “the guy”.

Outside of Trevor Lawrence, and maybe Justin Fields, every other QB prospect is just as much of “the guy” as the QB prospects who come out next year, or the year after that, or the year after that will be. 

The Vikings are going to know their draft position, and they’ll have gone through a good portion of the draft process before they need to make a decision on Cousins. If they feel that there are QBs who would be better for this team come draft day, they can make the decision on Cousins. But if they don’t, and they don’t move Cousins. Then they need to continue to build the roster for a Cousins led team. 

So the Chiefs were wrong to move for Mahomes? 

Forgive me if I care not for Kirk’s feelings if the fans start calling for his head. 

Edited by wcblack34
  • Like 1

Just now, wcblack34 said:

So the Chiefs were wrong to move for Mahomes? 

They were not wrong. Kirk Cousins and his contract is not a reason for the team to not draft a QB. I do not want anyone with that mentality running the Vikings. A rookie can learn behind Cousins for a year and then the Vikings can trade Cousins away with a year left on his contract if the rookie looks ready to start. It is okay if the team gets almost no return on the trade for Cousins. They would be trading away his contract.