2021 Draft Talk

swede700

1 hour ago, Viking Penguin said:

It's over, 10 more years of suck coming. Thanks for nothing Wilfs, your job is to make sure front office makes good decisions. TANKING was the only option. 

We should have traded Rudolf, Reiff, Thielen, Smith, etc. Before this so we ensure losing. Now we can be a middle of the pack team again, yay!! Our team is now the definition of chokers, pretenders, we have no clutchness, who wants to watch this team anymore?

This season has gone worse than anything we can imagine. You either go 11+ wins or you lose EVERY game you can. That's how you win. Its depressing I put 35 years of my life into this team. I want like 10 million + in fees for the destruction this team has caused me mentally. I'll never be a Packers fan, but I'm really thinking of moving Minnesota into Packer loser territory. The hate growing for the Vikings has the potential to grow much greater than my hate for the Bears and Packers combined.  Essentially destroying something my ENTIRE family celebrates together. 

I wanted to be the Jets this year. I want a team where we expect a loss every week. (THAT'S WHAT WE HAVE ANYWAY!!!) 

But no more loyalty, keep Cook, Jefferson and Smith Jr. and blow up the team. Draft a QB every year until you find the next Mahomes, NOT the next Burrow, I want the next Mahomes or nothing.  This team and their direction for the future is pathetic.

Eat a snickers

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Viking Penguin said:

Why? Because we would have multiple championships? My philosophy is basically the same as Robert Kraft and family. You know, winning comes first!

You fit in very nicely with this current form of the Vikings. They're proud to have fans that enjoy being average.

Its short sighted. Are you willing for every other position on the team to go to waste, with multiple coaching turnovers and a culture of losing to take place on your team?

Not one team in the NFL is attempting to do what you demand. The Jets and Jags are not intentionally tanking.

This is silly.

Landon Dickerson Alabama RS SR C 6-6 325

I think the Vikings should target him 3rd or 4th round.  Guy plays nasty, is versatile enough to play OG and might end up there at the next level.  Has done great things on Alabama this year for arguably the best offensive line in college football.  He is key to it with his attitude and his athletic ability.  Can block well down field, is strong at the point of attack and could be a good OG get for the Vikings possibly.  Might even rise up to the 2nd round with how well he has played this year, arguably the 2nd best OC prospect in the draft, and honestly Meyers looked so so against Indiana last week which was a surprise.  Few have done it as well as Dickerson has this year.  

Sure Wyatt Davis, Alex Leatherwood or Alijah Vera-Tucker would be the ideal guys at OG but they might not be around, especially Davis and Leatherwood.  Ver-Tucker is a more high level prospect than Dickerson because he can play OT as well.  But if Dickerson falls he could be a hell of a get and a nice OG potentially in this system.  

Of course having the #1 pick is always the most ideal. However, it's not the be all end all.  MaHomes, Watson, Allen, Lamar, Wilson, Dak etc were not even the 1st QB's taken in their draft. This team is not far but the key is if these young guys has to develop.  Really like Wyatt Davis if can't get the big 4 at QB Trevor, Fields, Lance Wilson or one of the LT's.  

4 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

This team needs to focus on the defense, especially up front. DT and DE are needed. 

The Vikings could take Christian Barmore Alabama RS SOPH if he comes out but that is a big if, kid has elite level ability and can really collapse the pocket.  Marvin Wilson I am not sold on, he has kind of disappointed this year but if he drops he could be a decent value.  Twyman has not played this year so he is a little bit of a question mark.  

I would be fine with any of these defensive ends, Roche is not really a scheme fit though and is not strong enough at the point of attack but all the rest are and have high level ability.  

Gregory Rousseau Miami FL RS SOPH
Carlos Basham Jr. Wake Forest RS
Patrick Jones II Pitt RS SR
Kwity Paye Michigan SR
Quincy Roche Miami FL SR
Jaelan Phillips Miami FL RS JR
Aidan Hutchinson Michigan JR

All would be gone by the 1st and 2nd round.  

Wyatt Davis would be great to get but if Rousseau or Basham fall I would not mind them either, the rest might be a reach where the Vikings pick but will see.  DT is not that strong of a group overall.  Could get a big strong dude like Khyiris Tonga or Lorenzo Neal but we do have Pierce still so signing a big guy like that might be a mistake.  Jay Tufele is an elite DT but he also is not playing this year so no current tape on him.

Overall the DL has done quite well this year considering, if they sign Odenigbo long term DL is not as big of an issue.  Johnson has improved inside this year, Watts is ok and Lynch has some promise as a interior guy, again Pierce will be back.  Wonnum has done great as a rookie and could be a bookend next to Hunter and Willekes has potential, Hercules has done well this year also as a edge rusher surprisingly.   Holmes as a starter has not been awful either but doubt they keep him.  Another CB or S might be a better value than getting DL again but who knows.  There are a lot more good corners and safeties than defensive tackles so maybe that could wait till later on in the draft.

I didn't really want to bump this bump there are so many teams clumped together.

1. New York Jets (0-10) MIA, LV, @ SEA, @ LAR, CLE, @ NE (SOS .588) - They look like they will go 0-16.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars (1-9): CLE, @ MIN, TEN, @ BAL, CHI, @ IND (SOS .553) - Brutal remaining schedule.

3. Cincinnati Bengals (2-7-1): NYG, @ MIA, DAL, PIT, @ HOU, BAL (SOS .534) - Sewell should be a lock here with Burrow being injured.

4. Dallas Cowboys (3-7):  WAS, @ BAL, @ CIN, SF, PHI, @ NYG (SOS .472) - Someone will get their 4th win on Turkey Day! 3 division games left.

5. Washington (3-7): @ DAL, @ PIT, @ SF, SEA, CAR, @ PHI (SOS .475) - Someone will get their 4th win on Turkey Day!

6. Los Angeles Chargers (3-7): @ BUF, NE, ATL, @ LV, DEN, @ KC (SOS .497)

7. New York Giants (3-7): @ CIN, @ SEA, ARI, CLE, @ BAL, DAL (SOS .500)

8. Atlanta Falcons (3-7): LV, NO, @ LAC, TB, @ KC, @ TB (.549) - Alternating division games the rest of the way. Kind of an odd schedule.

*9. Houston Texans (3-7): @ DET, IND, @ CHI, @ IND, CIN, TEN (SOS .565) - Houston winning on Turkey Day would be nice.

10. Carolina Panthers (4-7): @ MIN, DEN, @ GB, @ WAS, NO (SOS .537) - Someone will get their 5th win!

11. Detroit Lions (4-6):  HOU, @ CHI, GB, @ TEN, TB, MIN (SOS .500)

12. Minnesota Vikings (4-6): CARJAX, @ TB, CHI, @ NO, @ DET (SOS .506)  - Someone will get their 5th win!

19. Philadelphia Eagles (3-6-1): SEA, @ GB, NO, @ ARI, @ DALWAS (SOS .516) - Someone has to win the NFCE.

*Pick belong to Dolphins

Man, the NFCE is just crazy. All have 3 wins, they're just as close to a division title as they are a top 5 pick after 11 games!

Edited by VikeManDan

I'm not really sold on taking a DE in the 1st round.  For me, it's either OL, DT, or QB. Hunter will be coming back...as will Odenigbo (he'll be a RFA) and with the expected development of Wonnum, I think they have the pieces to work with...especially since they have no history of even drafting 1st round DEs (granted they don't either at DT, but with the lack of depth and the expected departure of Jaleel Johnson and no one else stepping up, they might make an exception).

Unfortunately, however, the DT position seems to be fairly weak this year, so if there isn't a top OL or QB available, then they might trade back and take a guy like Jay Tufele.  But, as of right now, I think I'd put OL way ahead of any other position, followed by QB and DT.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, swede700 said:

I'm not really sold on taking a DE in the 1st round.  For me, it's either OL, DT, or QB. Hunter will be coming back...as will Odenigbo (he'll be a RFA) and with the expected development of Wonnum, I think they have the pieces to work with...especially since they have no history of even drafting 1st round DEs (granted they don't either at DT, but with the lack of depth and the expected departure of Jaleel Johnson and no one else stepping up, they might make an exception).

Unfortunately, however, the DT position seems to be fairly weak this year, so if there isn't a top OL or QB available, then they might trade back and take a guy like Jay Tufele.  But, as of right now, I think I'd put OL way ahead of any other position, followed by QB and DT.

Very true I would take OL as of right now specifically the OG spot.  But CB has to be addressed, they will not bring back Holton Hill most likely, and Gladney has shown some things and so has Boyd, Dantzler and Hand are still developmental guys as of now and who knows if Mike Hughes can ever stay healthy for any length of time.  So another CB would be nice, and even more so another safety if they do not sign Anthony Harris.  That would take priority over anything if they do not bring him back because Harrison is it back there then.  Sucks Myles Dorn has been hurt would be curious what he looks like, and Metellus I do not have long term faith with.

They would like Jevon Holland or Richard LeCounte no doubt about it and both would be higher 1st round picks and could start instantly.  Sterns and Cisco or more late 1st rounders to early 2nd.  Then 2nd rounders or 3rd rounders could be Bubba Bolden or Paris Ford and best yet Elijah Molden who can also play slot corner.  JR Pace and Richie Grant could be good later round picks like 4rd through the 5th.  

Still if Trey Lance is sitting there, it would be very hard for them to pass up on an athletic QB for the future, especially if they end up picking around the middle of the 1st round, not sure they could pass that up.  

Holton Hill is also a RFA.  They will likely not choose to give him a tender, but we'll see, as the tender cost might drop.  I do think they'll draft a corner, but that position looks a little deeper this year, so it can wait until one of the 3rd or later picks, as far as I'm concerned.  And it's clear that Zimmer doesn't value safeties, so he'll probably throw Metellus out there with Harry next year and maybe develop another late round selection.  Or maybe, he'll just wing it and run out just 1 safety and 4 CBs as his primary nickel formation.  Screw the safeties, we don't need 'em.  😁    

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Holton Hill is also a RFA.  They will likely not choose to give him a tender, but we'll see, as the tender cost might drop.  I do think they'll draft a corner, but that position looks a little deeper this year, so it can wait until one of the 3rd or later picks, as far as I'm concerned.  And it's clear that Zimmer doesn't value safeties, so he'll probably throw Metellus out there with Harry next year and maybe develop another late round selection.  Or maybe, he'll just wing it and run out just 1 safety and 4 CBs as his primary nickel formation.  Screw the safeties, we don't need 'em.  😁    

Too bad in terms of the draft, the safety group is very strong and very deep.  Does not value safeties?  In what world?  No way in hell is Metellus a starting safety for the Vikings next year, no freaking way.  If that is the case they are in very deep trouble.  Waiting for a corner sure makes some sense but value of a player comes into play as well and who is available.  I could see Harrison Hand transitioning to safety instead of Metellus being a fixture there.  As prospects I would even taken Dorn over Metellus arguably but that is basically it in terms of safeties on the roster.

They should have kept Marcus Epps, he at least had some potential in the future at the safety position, and not to mention Devante Downs who they could sure use at times this year.  I would take him over Smith or Gedeon honestly all day then and now.   They did cut Gedeon because he failed his physical though recently and Cam Smith I guess hopefully he can come back strong next year.  

Still if Anthony Harris is gone at safety that is priority #1 all day long.  

2 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Too bad in terms of the draft, the safety group is very strong and very deep.  Does not value safeties?  In what world?  No way in hell is Metellus a starting safety for the Vikings next year, no freaking way.  If that is the case they are in very deep trouble.  Waiting for a corner sure makes some sense but value of a player comes into play as well and who is available.  I could see Harrison Hand transitioning to safety instead of Metellus being a fixture there.  As prospects I would even taken Dorn over Metellus arguably but that is basically it in terms of safeties on the roster.

They should have kept Marcus Epps, he at least had some potential in the future at the safety position, and not to mention Devante Downs who they could sure use at times this year.  I would take him over Smith or Gedeon honestly all day then and now.   They did cut Gedeon because he failed his physical though recently and Cam Smith I guess hopefully he can come back strong next year.  

Still if Anthony Harris is gone at safety that is priority #1 all day long.  

What don't you like about Metolius? I've been wondering if they might try to have him replace Harris. 

I wrote him off after he didn't make the team with only 2 safeties on the roster but now they seem comfortable with him as the 3rd and he's been playing well on special teams. 

47 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

What don't you like about Metolius? I've been wondering if they might try to have him replace Harris. 

I wrote him off after he didn't make the team with only 2 safeties on the roster but now they seem comfortable with him as the 3rd and he's been playing well on special teams. 

Well anything can happen I guess, Josh Metellus maybe can develop into a decent player.  Just personally I had other safeties higher rated than him especially who were around in the 7th round, JR Reed being one.  

Nevelle Clarke was cut from the practice squad after they signed him as a UDFA.  Guess they did not like him, because could have brought him back when all the corners went down, maybe they did not like his lack of foot speed but even he could maybe transition to safety, Metellus is move proven than him at the position though.  Still if one thinks oh Anthony Harris was a UDFA and they developed him....

Well I had Anthony Harris as a top 4 safety in the class coming out, actually I think I might have had him as the #1 safety coming out but would have to double check that.  So to me he was an elite level talent regardless of where he was picked.  Josh Metellus I never had that high in college, had a good final two seasons but to me was never elite at anything, smart back there but not a great tackler and played on a stacked defense usually that greatly helped him.  Metellus has done little to nothing also on the field during defense, special teams is great but making plays in the secondary is another thing, especially when they have the safeties do so much because the corners are so young and inexperienced.  Say Anthony Harris goes down and Metellus is in the rest of this season, it would be really really bad is my guess.

But who knows maybe he could develop but again I would have more faith in Dorn who made more plays to me and was more impactful when playing around less talent on UNC.  Even more faith in the safeties in this up coming class, a few of which are top notch.