2021 Draft Talk

swede700

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Well anything can happen I guess, Josh Metellus maybe can develop into a decent player.  Just personally I had other safeties higher rated than him especially who were around in the 7th round, JR Reed being one.  

Nevelle Clarke was cut from the practice squad after they signed him as a UDFA.  Guess they did not like him, because could have brought him back when all the corners went down, maybe they did not like his lack of foot speed but even he could maybe transition to safety, Metellus is move proven than him at the position though.  Still if one thinks oh Anthony Harris was a UDFA and they developed him....

Well I had Anthony Harris as a top 4 safety in the class coming out, actually I think I might have had him as the #1 safety coming out but would have to double check that.  So to me he was an elite level talent regardless of where he was picked.  Josh Metellus I never had that high in college, had a good final two seasons but to me was never elite at anything, smart back there but not a great tackler and played on a stacked defense usually that greatly helped him.  Metellus has done little to nothing also on the field during defense, special teams is great but making plays in the secondary is another thing, especially when they have the safeties do so much because the corners are so young and inexperienced.  Say Anthony Harris goes down and Metellus is in the rest of this season, it would be really really bad is my guess.

But who knows maybe he could develop but again I would have more faith in Dorn who made more plays to me and was more impactful when playing around less talent on UNC.  Even more faith in the safeties in this up coming class, a few of which are top notch.  

I think he played some when we ran out of corners one game and Harris had to play the slot but yeah its hard to prove anything with 2 great safeties in front of him

Metellus is not a candidate to replace either Smith or Harris anytime soon, if he was he never would have been cut at the end of camp.  Safety will need to be addressed in 21 draft because I can't see anyway Harris is resigned unless he takes a pretty big pay cut.  Highly unlikely but you never know with the CAP going down.

2 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Would anyone be upset if we were in position to trade up and grab our QB of the future at the coast of a couple first round draft picks and maybe a 2nd or 3rd? KC traded 2 firsts and a 3rd to get Mahomes iirc.

Sure. If you think one of them is Mahomes-esque. But if you have reservations, it’s tough to give up that much. So I guess my answer is “yes, but you had better be sure he’s your guy for the next 12-15 years.”

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mattyice0401 said:

Would anyone be upset if we were in position to trade up and grab our QB of the future at the coast of a couple first round draft picks and maybe a 2nd or 3rd? KC traded 2 firsts and a 3rd to get Mahomes iirc.

It’s a price worth paying, as long as you’re not wrong. 

The evaluation process for this year is going to be very interesting. 

When the NFL released its tentative calendar for 2021, the NFL combine was not on the schedule. And pro days are likely also going to be canceled again this year. Add in the prospects who didn't get a full seasons worth of tape, and this thing is going to be very interesting. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2020 at 9:36 PM, Ozzy said:

Well anything can happen I guess, Josh Metellus maybe can develop into a decent player.  Just personally I had other safeties higher rated than him especially who were around in the 7th round, JR Reed being one.  

Nevelle Clarke was cut from the practice squad after they signed him as a UDFA.  Guess they did not like him, because could have brought him back when all the corners went down, maybe they did not like his lack of foot speed but even he could maybe transition to safety, Metellus is move proven than him at the position though.  Still if one thinks oh Anthony Harris was a UDFA and they developed him....

Well I had Anthony Harris as a top 4 safety in the class coming out, actually I think I might have had him as the #1 safety coming out but would have to double check that.  So to me he was an elite level talent regardless of where he was picked.  Josh Metellus I never had that high in college, had a good final two seasons but to me was never elite at anything, smart back there but not a great tackler and played on a stacked defense usually that greatly helped him.  Metellus has done little to nothing also on the field during defense, special teams is great but making plays in the secondary is another thing, especially when they have the safeties do so much because the corners are so young and inexperienced.  Say Anthony Harris goes down and Metellus is in the rest of this season, it would be really really bad is my guess.

My dude!!!

I think we move on from Anthony Harris but my guess is that we find his replacement with a mid round pick or a cheap veteran through Free Agency. I think Zimmer values corners much more than safeties, so I don't expect a premium pick used at the position.

On 11/28/2020 at 10:09 AM, SteelKing728 said:

My dude!!!

I think we move on from Anthony Harris but my guess is that we find his replacement with a mid round pick or a cheap veteran through Free Agency. I think Zimmer values corners much more than safeties, so I don't expect a premium pick used at the position.

I’d like to see the Vikings draft Brady Breeze out of Oregon as a replacement.

• Like 1

If Cousins of the last two games is the Cousins we get the remainder of his contract, I'm good not selecting a QB this year unless one of the big guys drops to us.  Readdress the position after next year when Cousins has one year left on his deal and we would only burn one year of the rookie contract.

18 minutes ago, RpMc said:

If Cousins of the last two games is the Cousins we get the remainder of his contract, I'm good not selecting a QB this year unless one of the big guys drops to us.  Readdress the position after next year when Cousins has one year left on his deal and we would only burn one year of the rookie contract.

That’s the thing. Kirk is a .500 QB. He’s doing actually what he’s always done. It’s just like a girl who’s hot and cold. Move on.

• Like 1