2021 Draft Talk

swede700

12 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

That’s the thing. Kirk is a .500 QB. He’s doing actually what he’s always done. It’s just like a girl who’s hot and cold. Move on.

It's disingenuous to suggest that he hasn't been different the last two games into terms of his movement in and outside of the pocket and making off script plays.  If that continues through the end of the season, and we sneak into the playoffs it would behoove us to continue to improve the offensive line and defensive line early in the draft unless we have someone fall to us.  Kirk is likely on the roster for two more years, and one of the biggest advantages of having a rookie QB is the contract.  That advantage is diminished if that player sits on the bench for half of the contract, or you've got another highly compensated QB on the roster as well.

Now, Kirk being Kirk, we could obviously see a regression back to what he has been his entire career, but I'm unabashedly encouraged by his play the last two weeks in negative game script, moving around the pocket, and extending plays with his legs.  He would not be the first QB on the north side of thirty to figure things out for the better.

On 11/28/2020 at 9:09 AM, SteelKing728 said:

My dude!!!

I think we move on from Anthony Harris but my guess is that we find his replacement with a mid round pick or a cheap veteran through Free Agency. I think Zimmer values corners much more than safeties, so I don't expect a premium pick used at the position.

Very true, but still Metellus is not the guy and doubt they can bring in a cheap free agent to take the place of Anthony Harris.  Elijah Molden I would be greatly interested in 2nd round, he could play slot CB or safety, really versatile player and is one of the few safeties who could play corner in the draft.  And it is a deep safety draft so maybe they can sit and draft OL or DL 1st and go safety in the 2nd.  

Kyle Hamilton in 2022 would be a dream as well, arguably the best safety in the country this year right now for Notre Dame, is 6-4 and is a legit playmaker with range.

22 minutes ago, RpMc said:

It's disingenuous to suggest that he hasn't been different the last two games into terms of his movement in and outside of the pocket and making off script plays.  If that continues through the end of the season, and we sneak into the playoffs it would behoove us to continue to improve the offensive line and defensive line early in the draft unless we have someone fall to us.  Kirk is likely on the roster for two more years, and one of the biggest advantages of having a rookie QB is the contract.  That advantage is diminished if that player sits on the bench for half of the contract, or you've got another highly compensated QB on the roster as well.

Now, Kirk being Kirk, we could obviously see a regression back to what he has been his entire career, but I'm unabashedly encouraged by his play the last two weeks in negative game script, moving around the pocket, and extending plays with his legs.  He would not be the first QB on the north side of thirty to figure things out for the better.

Very true, this game against Carolina could be one of Kirk's best of his career as a Viking.  The defense did not play great and Cook did not run great at all and the OL did not block really well either, and the teams best WR was injured. Usually Kirk never is able to literally win a game by his play alone, he always needs one of the other things to go well like the run game or the defense.  A huge game for Kirk, not only with his play and leading the team to victory but also with his general body language and communication with his teammates.  He inspired guys and lead guys with his words and with his play, something he does not do a ton of.  Great game in a disaster of a game for the Vikings overall.  Still does not mean they Vikings should not take a QB at some point in this draft to build for the future, sure 1st rounder is probably not happening unless a QB falls that should not be there and they have to take him.

But yeah they paid the guy and probably cannot get rid of the contract so might as well use him, especially with his play being at such a high level recently.  But good to see him win a game in the 4th like this, even though the defense did almost blow it in the end but that has happened before this year.  Kirk maybe gets too much put on his plate when the team does not play well but he should get all that pressure and focus, he gets paid $40 mil this year.

1 Jets: Trevor Lawrence
2 Jaguars: Justin Fields
6 Carolina: Mac Jones 
8 Washington:  Trey Lance
13 Denver:  Kyle Trask
14 Minnesota: 

All the good QBs will be gone most likely by the Vikings pick anyway, especially if they keep winning and get a lower pick.  Sure Zach Wilson could still be around maybe but I would rather wait for on a QB if that is the best option in the 1st round and Wyatt Davis, Alex Leatherwood, Gregory Rousseau or Jackson Carman etc are just sitting there.  Yeah forget Zach Wilson in that situation, would love him in the 2nd but probably would not be around.  

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

1 Jets: Trevor Lawrence
2 Jaguars: Justin Fields
6 Carolina: Mac Jones 
8 Washington:  Trey Lance
13 Denver:  Kyle Trask
14 Minnesota: 

All the good QBs will be gone most likely by the Vikings pick anyway, especially if they keep winning and get a lower pick.  Sure Zach Wilson could still be around maybe but I would rather wait for on a QB if that is the best option in the 1st round and Wyatt Davis, Alex Leatherwood, Gregory Rousseau or Jackson Carman etc are just sitting there.  Yeah forget Zach Wilson in that situation, would love him in the 2nd but probably would not be around.  

I know you don’t like Zach Wilson, but all the current mock drafts have him being the 3rd QB off the board. Not even making it out of the top 5. That would be a steel at 14..

But, I don’t see us going QB anyway. I would draft a OT and cut Rieff. 

3 minutes ago, Vikes22 said:

I know you don’t like Zach Wilson, but all the current mock drafts have him being the 3rd QB off the board. Not even making it out of the top 5. That would be a steel at 14..

Reiff has been playing well this year and he's cheap. Wouldn't hurt to keep him one more season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vikes22 said:

I like Zach Wilson, I just think he is being wildly overrated at the moment.  I would take Mac Jones all day over Zach Wilson.  He is better in the pocket under pressure, he throws a better deep ball and he has better pocket mechanics overall.  Zach Wilson is more athletic and can throw better on the move but I still question when he really gets pressured how he performs.  Trey Lance has more upside than Wilson so I would give him the nod also.

Could he be the 3rd QB off the board?   Sure but both Kyle Trask and Mac Jones have played better than he has against consistently better competition all year long.  Either way if the Vikings keep winning all the best QBs should be gone anyways by their selection so it ultimately does not really matter.